Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default TT auxs tany in T chassis

I have a over drive aux TT trany in great shape I was wondering if I put this unit into my drive train but as to werefront back or middle and would it do any good for the trouble to do so

this is an over under dirvet unit

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: TT auxs tany in T chassis

We had a Muncie trans that was already set up to go off the U joint carrier behind the trans. It went in a brass roadster, and combined with a Ruxstell rear end, it was great... the one thing, tho, was it had very little power in high-high-high, but it would do an honest 60 MPH. The trick was the Ruxstell - it made the progression easier for the motor to take. The one problem we had was the collision between the 2 shift levers - the one for the Muncie got in the way of the one for the ruxstell - we ended up rigging up a second lever next to the brake lever for the rux. (Got a *lot* of looks, it did, as it looked a lot like an early '09 2 lever setup!)... Starting it was *really* nice, as we could put the Muncie in neutral and not kill ourselves on the clutch plates, tho you really need rocky mountains on the brake pedal as you need positive brakes on the wheels!!!!!

Had we kept the car, we were going to put a overhead on it to see if that would help the power issue. We were hoping to end up with a car that would be OK on the freeway speed-wise, but needed to sell her...

I know a *lot* of speedsters run UD/OD transmissions, along with 3-1 rear ends and ruxstells, and hc heads and cams and stuff... One in particular (Rajo head, Muncie trans) would do 80 - pretty impressive, IMHO.

I'm now toying with the idea - someday - of trying the same kind of setup, with the touring we have now - but that would be way, way off in the future. Again, the big issue would be power.

So, bottom line - they work if the car's not too heavy. A Rux is nice as it breaks the high gear into something manageable. You also need to get the driveshaft and tube modified to the right length, but

Good luck,

Sus