Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Cam or lifter knock??Need help

We installed the 280 cam and I got a knock in the valve train or cam. One minute it sounds like a loose lifter but back away from T and its a knock?This is the second time I have tore it down,Put in new cam bearing front and center,timming gear, set valves 10 all the way through. Had to take 90,000 off valves stems so the valves would close. Going to tear down again in the morning at daylight.The cam does has a high lift and this is a early block 1911. I took tthe pan off to see if the cam cleared inside did not see any problem, looked good.The engine ran smooth before with no noise,very quiet.Its got to be in the valve train. If you have any idea please let me know.Tools are about wore out.Brand new coon dog to the one that sloves the problem or 10 cats.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Cam or lifter knock??Need help

Try holding a large screwdriver against the engine and against your ear and pinpoint the cylinder that is making the noise

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Default Re: Cam or lifter knock?? Need pics

Hey Rednick, Can't help with your knock, But how about some more of those Rednick pics ?? We here in the city get a BIG kick out of those pics!!

Bob

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Default Makes people mad

I seem to get a lot of flak on stories and pictures. Don't want to make anyone mad.They even got mad when I called them Old Farts. They though that was terrible and I should be ban from the forum.Don't like humor. That not humor they said. So sorry

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

It be hot or cold?? Bud.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

Default Re: Makes people mad

<center></center>

Yeah, at least on the forum, people can't see my LOUD Hawaiian shirts, or they'd ask me to leave too, or at least stand in the shade, or behind their back to shed some light on their project!

What do Hawaiian shirts have to do with Ts? Well, gee, I wouldn't be caught dead in my T without a great shirt on!

;-)

T'ake care,

David D.

Hey MA! Lookit what I found at the dump!

HEY! Careful with that rolling pin, someone could get hurt, HELP!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

Who cares if it makes them mad, some people just want to mad all the time it seems and at anything. Personally I enjoyed your humor, and I feel sorry for people who don't have a sense of humor. There is nothing wrong with a little fun on the forums. These aren't school classroms after all. Still waiting for your next story, Cam

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #8

I don't remember who but someone got mad when he called them a Bush Monkey. Not one person but in general because of where they lived.

I guess some people take everything serious. No life or sense of humor.

Joe

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #9

Hey David! I see the Toyota is still rolling and being put to good use.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #10

Did you find the Toyota in the dump?? I would have left it there and hauled the body home on my back. Note: Chuck's comments are not normally to be taken seriously.. He just is trying to have fun.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #11

Check backlash between crank gear and camshaft gear, must be .004 to .006 max, if it is a big number, maybe you need an oversize camshaft gear. check end play on the camshaft, must be .004 or less, if more, you can machine a shim washer to go between the camshaft nut and the timing housing. Check end play on the generator, must be small, you can shim behind the back bearing to cut this down. Check backlash on the generator, must also be small, the only way I can think of to fix this would be to trim a little of the mounting surface of the generator mounting housing. All of the above can contribute to noise in the timing gear train.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #12

One more thing, did you check the valve springs for the proper stiffness?

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #13

Could the extreme hi-lift be messing up your valve springs or retainers or both? Tom

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #14

Default HEY! You Stole my car!

Iffin (sorry , trying to keep the &quot;redneck&quot; thing goin) yous taint gonna use that there body, it looksin better shape than mine. You wanna trade it 'fer my little sister?

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #15

Default Toyota, Stolen twice, still goin' & NO! That there body ain't fer sale!

Yes, the Toyota is still going, even passed smog easily last month, Thanks to your help!(amazing how mis-routed plug wires can mess things up). It has been stole twice from my driveway, the last time with the back half of that touring body in it, and LOTS of important parts. Fortunately it was found in Sacramento, with the parts still there! (cops put the value of the whole vehicle at less than a $100!!!--the insurance company wasn't happy either).

Currently it is suffering from a 5th gear that won't stay in.

The Body is actually the body for my '15 and it really is in good shape, but thought the pic would be funny to post.