Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Pinto conversion?

the other day i was on a web-site and some guy mentioned a ford pinto swap he put in a model t speedster.

has anyone ever seen that?, and what is involved?

is there any literature on the subject?

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Pinto conversion?

I don't know about a Pinto engine conversion. Don't know why you'd want to. The pinto engine was much smaller displacement than the Model-T and would require an auxiliary transmission or a much smaller rear axle.

BUT WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!! I have a 1916 Speedster with a T engine and a Pinto distributor driven by a cog belt. Now, that's a different breed of cat. The conversion was outlined in the Model T Club magazine back in 1975 or 76. And a diagram was furnished to make a bracket for the front mounting (where a water pump would go). Now, I am here to tell you that Pinto distributor makes that old Ford start. It doesn't need a water pump because that hot spark makes that gaass burn!. I would venture to say that most overheating in Model T's (assuming the radiator isn't stopped up) is caused by weak spark and poor combustion. You try one on Henry's vanadium wonder. The results will surprise you. Aluminum pistons help, too. I would assume a distributor and extra driven cog from any 2300 Ford engine would work. Electronic distributors require a 12 v. battery.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

I DID SEE A MODEL T, WITH A PINTO DRIVE TRAN, UP FOR AUCTION ON E-BAY ABOUT A YEAR AGO.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

I don't know about a Pinto engine conversion. Don't know why you'd want to. The pinto engine was much smaller displacement than the Model-T and would require an auxiliary transmission or a much smaller rear axle.

BUT WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!! I have a 1916 Speedster with a T engine and a Pinto distributor driven by a cog belt. Now, that's a different breed of cat. The conversion was outlined in the Model T Club magazine back in 1975 or 76. And a diagram was furnished to make a bracket for the front mounting (where a water pump would go). Now, I am here to tell you that Pinto distributor makes that old Ford start. It doesn't need a water pump because that hot spark makes that gaass burn!. I would venture to say that most overheating in Model T's (assuming the radiator isn't stopped up) is caused by weak spark and poor combustion. You try one on Henry's vanadium wonder. The results will surprise you. Aluminum pistons help, too. I would assume a distributor and extra driven cog from any 2300 Ford engine would work. Electronic distributors require a 12 v. battery.