Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default 1915 Model T is running hot?

I recently drove in a parade with my Model T, and it got hot after the parade any suggestions to keep it running cooler? I already have a water pump and I just re-built the motor and had the radiator acid flushed.

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Parades????????

<center></center>

Eric:

Parades are very hard on a model T, especially with new ( tight ) motors. You are simply not moving fast enough to draw air through the radiator. Another item is putting a water pump on a T. Most model T water pumps DON'T. Their opeinings are so small they actually restrict water flow rather than make flow better. At one time I had a collection of 50 water pumps (I don't know why), They were all different and almost every one of them had such small openings that you could hardly get your thumb in the ends. Make sure that you don't have one of the water pumps with the small openings. Another big reason for Ts. heating is most all original reproduction radiators had a very narrow core. If your core is that narrow you can't make your T run cool no matter what you do. There are Dozens of other reasons that a T can run hot but those three are at the top of the list. There are two things on a Model T that are cheap. They are number one; new tires, tubes and flaps and number two; is a new radiator or at least a new core.

<ul>[*]Flag Out[/list]

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Default Dave is correct.

The thing I fear most about parades being hard on a T is the 3rd main bearing is now loaded rearward by the clutch spring which will serve to increase crankshaft endplay. Not a reason to not particiapte but a consideration.

Dave is right, one of the best bargains in the T hobby is new radiator.