Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Wooden spoke wheel soak in oil, H2O?

1922 Model T. Before repainting the original spokes black, do you soak them in oil ? What type of oil ? Water ? How long ? What is recommended for long life here in the hot desert of AZ.

Buckey

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Wooden spoke wheel soak in oil, H2O?

I would suggest several heavy coats of boiled lindseed oil wait about 2 days between coats, then use an oil based primer.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Default Soak?????????

Rodney:

I don't believe that anything you soak the hard wood spokes in a T wheel will help you. Get someone to respoke your wheels. If your wheels are very loose and break the damage to your car as well as the safty makes the cost of new wheels look cheap. The back wheels are especially critical becasue every time you put on the breaks you put force one way and then when you start to go forward you have force against the wheels in the opposite direction.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Default Re: Soak?????????

Thanks for your reply. The wheels/ spokes are fine. In the desert, the heat dries out the wood and they can actually shrink just a little. Putting oil on them helps keep the shrinking to a minimum, so I've been told.

Buckey

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

Default Soak?????????

Rodney:

I don't believe that anything you soak the hard wood spokes in a T wheel will help you. Get someone to respoke your wheels. If your wheels are very loose and break the damage to your car as well as the safty makes the cost of new wheels look cheap. The back wheels are especially critical becasue every time you put on the breaks you put force one way and then when you start to go forward you have force against the wheels in the opposite direction.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

Thanks for your reply. The wheels/ spokes are fine. In the desert, the heat dries out the wood and they can actually shrink just a little. Putting oil on them helps keep the shrinking to a minimum, so I've been told.

Buckey

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

The best way to preserve your Hickory spokes is to mix 50/50 Boiled linseed oil and Turpentine. Brush it on and let it soak in. Several applications wiping excess will do the job. The turps carries the oil into the fibers. Good Luck! Pete

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #8

The best way to preserve your Hickory spokes is to mix 50/50 Boiled linseed oil and Turpentine. Brush it on and let it soak in. Several applications wiping excess will do the job. The turps carries the oil into the fibers. Good Luck! Pete