Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Model T accessory

I recently aquired a model T accessory that I never seen before. It seems to be an oil pan support that is 2 straps bolted to the frame and is bolted together under the pan sump. I think the purpose of this is to solve a sagging engine problem. Could some one tell me more about it and tell me if it is a desireable accessory.

Thanks

Rod

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Model T accessory

I have a support under my '26 roadster that is supposed to help keep the frame from twisting under the weight of the engine and tansmission. The frame is really not strong enough to hold the weight that is hung on it in the middle

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Thanks Ted, I am planning on putting this era accessory on e-bay in the near future.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

The engine/transmission mounting brackets, riveted to either side of the Model T crankcase, were prone to giving out (due to metal cracking, rivets loosening, etc. If even one arm gives way the driver is in big trouble. Therefore, many companies made and marketed an accessory engine "girdle" which could repair the problem on the spot. I bought one just for emergencies. Haven't had to use it, yet. Some were crude affairs. Mine is one of the better made ones with cast iron brackets that clamp over the frame rails.

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">