Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: rear axle carrier

Yep, Bert's needs to be more centrally located. I vote they move to Minneapolis!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #22
Keith True

Living here in Rust Hampshire the pickings in the woods have always been bad for the sheet metal,but with the scrap prices in the last few years the heavy iron parts are being cleaned out.I have a tenant in one of my buildings with a little body shop.He is there right now working,cleaning out a couple of cars to scrap.Somebody is picking up a Lumina,a Grand Am,and two 80's Chevy pickups.They paid $300.each for the cars,and $350.each for the pickups.He usually scraps them himself,but for what the scrappers offered he was happy not to have to haul each one 15 miles.They were offering 38 cents per pound for batteries if they are palletized and shrink wrapped.I made up a pallet for them to pick up tomorrow.Most of the scrap boys here bring me stuff if they think it is Model A.I give them $15.or $20.for complete engines.Last fall I followed a pickup and trailer loaded with A frames,transmissions,wheels,there were maybe two or three complete rolling chassis in the pile.They were scrap guys,they were headed for the yard.They pulled into a gas station and I pulled in behind them.I drove up next to the load,guessed about three ton,then drove away.I didn't need the parts,and while I didn't want to see it go for scrap I also did not want to spend the $310.per ton the yard was paying.With all the engines buried in the iron the load could have gone to five ton.I got away without looking too close,I didn't want to even see it all.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #23
Colorado Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Yep, Bert's needs to be more centrally located. I vote they move to Minneapolis!
NOOOOO!!! Leave Bert's where it is. It is so awesome to be able to go there and twist their ear, get good parts and not have to wait on shipping. Besides, it's like the candy store when you go there.

Last edited by Colorado Greg; 04-17-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Colorado Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #24
Jim Brierley

SPIDER GEARS: As Brent says, they do not make noise, because they are not turning when going straight down the road, the only turn while the car is making a turn, and then they turn very slowly. They don't need to look "like new", they didn't look that good when installed by Henry, no need for them to.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #25
Terry, NJ

Crap, Crap, Crap, Winchester is just up 81 from my place in Shenandoah County. Wish I knew of it.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I hauled 1370 pounds of mechanical parts and damaged sheetmetal to the scrap metal dealer yesterday. I still have that much or more to take. Items like what you are suggesting really have no value simply because the restoration costs are too great for the end value, ...and generally there are still serviceable items out there to be purchased.

For example, two weekends ago I attended an auction up in Winchester Virginia where I witnessed what was a conservative estimate of 10 tons of Model A stuff get hauled off for scrap. There were Model A engine blocks, transmissions, and mechanical parts of all types that no one would bid on, --well no one except the scrap dealer. I never really got the exact story on this stuff but it appeared the owner had a fetish about disassembling a component to see what was inside, and then leaving it to deteriorate while being hoarded. I cherry-picked what I thought I could use and then let a scrap dealer take what I couldn't haul.

Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Crap, Crap, Crap, Winchester is just up 81 from my place in Shenandoah County. Wish I knew of it.
Terry
Do you have a weekend place or a cabin down there? Pennie & I actually stayed in Luray, VA both nights to hang out with some Model T club folks that I am on the Board of Directors with. We really liked visiting that area. From Luray, we took the Stonewall Jackson Hwy (340) over to 522 and then on to the fairgrounds just to have a scenic drive. There was a lot of people there in attendance.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #27
ttoldcarbuff7

still looking for a good carrier and spider.
ttoldcarbuff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #28
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoldcarbuff7 View Post
still looking for a good carrier and spider.
Yesterday I went up to my core container and picked out some. I have a couple of possibilities soaking in the caustic tank right now getting cleaned up. As soon as we get them clean, I will post a photo or two and let you see them.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote