Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2020, 06:31 AM   #1
Doug 845

Default NYS Inspection for Model T

I just had my modern car inspected by a local quick change oil shop. Every time its a nightmare. Yesterday I saw a newbie adding windshield wash fluid to my antifreeze overflow. Last year they stripped 3 lug nuts with an impact wrench putting the wheel back on.They inspect everything including the brakes. My question is - how do they inspect the brakes on a Model T in New York State?
Doug 845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
29spcoupe

Default Re: NYS Inspection for Model T

I have my T's inspected every year. Most of the time they just check the lights and horn and make sure the car is roadworthy. The computer system wants the operator to check the left front brakes, but the car has none. I was told by a friend that the state inspector was asked about this and the inspector told him to lie about which wheel was pulled to inspect the brakes.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:43 AM   #3
JoeBauer

"local quick change oil shop." I assume you are talking about one of the franchises? I have been to one in the Richmond VA area where I live, never again.

Fishkill is a beautiful area with the old town not destroyed by the massive growth of the more recently developed area. I suggest you find a locally owned shop. In Richmond they tend to be honest and know what they are doing. I can not say either about the franchises in the area.
JoeBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
jetmek

You need to find a reputable repair shop. Those quick lubes are for suckers������
Old 08-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
Will N

When I lived in NYS, I found a local garage that was owned by a "car guy", and all he'd do is check if the lights worked. But the ultimate answer to your problem is you need to move out of NYS to Pennsylvania like I did! No inspections here for antique cars. Also, no annual registration fees. Pay one time to register the car and that's it for life.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:13 PM   #6
McMimmcs

If they have done all those things to your vehicle why do you return ! Find a reputable place like the Ford / GM dealer?
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:08 AM   #7
Doug 845

Believe me, I did go to a local Ford dealer and got even worse service. I went to take advantage of a tire deal for my wife's car and the dealer put her new directional tires on backwards on one side of the car. When I brought it back they snapped off a couple lugs nuts when they corrected their tire mistake and didn't say anything until I caught it. The same dealer did an oil change on my mother in-law's car and didn't install the filter correctly and oil leaked all over a new blacktop driveway.
Doug 845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:36 AM   #8
jimvette59

I have a 59 corvette and a 31 ford in NY when I get the 31 inspected I am told well it made it here and they put a sticker on it. The 59 corvette they check the lights,signals, tires, and wipers.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:20 PM   #9
Harpkatt

Duplicate Post*
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:20 PM   #10
Harpkatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvette59 View Post
I have a 59 corvette and a 31 ford in NY when I get the 31 inspected I am told well it made it here and they put a sticker on it. The 59 corvette they check the lights,signals, tires, and wipers.
59 Vette and a Model A, Sign Me up!
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:18 AM   #11
big job

digital cameras and laser printers a little glue is a wonderful thing. Last time I got a
real one It blew off and out - gone. Will they replace it nope another 39 bucks. So I
ask; what kind of cigar you smoke? Well here's a free one! by. That was like 4 yrs
ago. I ask the T 'a 1923' you feel alright with no sticker, she said when I was born
there was no such thing !!

another old mans rant
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #12
ronn

well big job- I like your style!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:12 AM   #13
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug 845 View Post
Believe me, I did go to a local Ford dealer and got even worse service. I went to take advantage of a tire deal for my wife's car and the dealer put her new directional tires on backwards on one side of the car. When I brought it back they snapped off a couple lugs nuts when they corrected their tire mistake and didn't say anything until I caught it. The same dealer did an oil change on my mother in-law's car and didn't install the filter correctly and oil leaked all over a new blacktop driveway.
I have never had a problem at my Ford or GM dealer. Their technicians all keep current with periodic training. I'll bet they hate to see you come in !
Old 08-23-2020, 08:14 AM   #14
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29spcoupe View Post
I have my T's inspected every year. Most of the time they just check the lights and horn and make sure the car is roadworthy. The computer system wants the operator to check the left front brakes, but the car has none. I was told by a friend that the state inspector was asked about this and the inspector told him to lie about which wheel was pulled to inspect the brakes.
The inspector is incompetent and should be fired!
Old 08-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #15
corvette8n

Found these you’ll have to check them out, I’m lucky where I live, I have an honest repair shop around the corner from me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C4C73871-DC24-41E1-8F59-8A32DFFB7DE2.jpg (27.9 KB, 30 views)
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #16
Aarongriffey

Having worked as a mechanic professionally since 1955 I must tell you there are more that don’t know what the hell they are doing than there are dishonest.
Now having said that I must say there are still a lot of dishonest ones.
A friend of mine worked at a shop in San Francisco where an oil change meant they wipe the oil filter with a wet rag, fill the oil up to the full mark and park the car in a different spot. He couldn’t take for long, he quit.
I worked a place in San Francisco where they had a barrel of non detergent SAE 30 oil and a barrel of SAE 20/50 Castrol.
Everybody paid for 20/50 Castrol but everybody got 30 non detergent.
I lasted there one day.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote