Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default Silly question: Always replace bearing races when new bearings are installed or no?

OK, I don't want this to become a huge debate, but it is recommended to replace the bearing races in the hubs when you install new bearings?

I was lucky enough to find NOS, Ford Script front wheel bearings. I don't not have NOS or OEM bearing races. I have new, National brand which are made in Spain.

The front hubs have the original US-made Timken races in them.

So the question is, do I replace the races or leave the originals in if they do not show signs of wear or pitting?

Thanks,
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Silly question: Always replace bearing races when new bearings are installed or

If the National races match the contour of the bearing I would use them otherwise don't. The original bearings were mostly made by Timken I believe.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #3
Mart

Default Re: Silly question: Always replace bearing races when new bearings are installed or

I'd be inclined to not change the bearings at all as long as the old ones are in good condition. Re using the new bearings on the existing races, It's probably not advised, but why not just give it a go? How many miles do you intend to do?
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
Tim Ayers

Thanks, all. I just looked again. The smaller bearings are Ford script with Timken font part numbers and the larger ones say Timken, not Ford.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #5
eicke

Yea, I'd inspect and re-use if there isn't any noticeable wear or corrosion. The price of new bearings add up pretty quick.
eicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
Hal Beatty

You just might get away with it... but, I was taught during my apprenticeship that you NEVER put a used race on a new bearing due to the fact that the old race has worn to match the old bearing. Put a new bearing in there and it isn't going to have a perfect surface to wear against so will probably wear faster. It was also that way when working on aircraft...

But yours might go another 100,000 miles. Your choice ;-)
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #7
J Franklin

You can try the other new race, or a new timken race shouldn't be hard to find.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #8
Tim Ayers

Makes sense. I'll put new races in. Do it right once, right?
Old 06-13-2020, 05:48 AM   #9
aussie merc

never mix brands in cup and cone sets and always replace cup and cone as a set you can mix brands in inner and outer sets reason being that different manufacturers have different tolerances that are taken up as sets and cup and cones wear mate to each other
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote