Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #21
Railcarmover
BANNED

Default Re: 6V to 12V conversion

Last time I checked a higher coil discharge means a hotter spark..means a more efficient burn,means a cooler engine..that isn't a bad thing.So many modern improvements can be made to make the model A a more enjoyable and more efficient machine..without swapping out the basic components..its one of the few engines I've seen where you can basically double the horsepower in a day..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #22
w.michael

"While European cars were 12 volt from very early . . .."

My 1965 Volkswagen was 6 volts. I think the 1966 was still 6 volts, although I did not own a 1966, so I am not certain.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:52 AM   #23
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.michael View Post

My 1965 Volkswagen was 6 volts. I think the 1966 was still 6 volts, although I did not own a 1966, so I am not certain.

W. Michael
I have a 1928 Delage - 12 volts as were several others pf that era. VW was the exception over there but they eventually saw the light too.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:42 AM   #24
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.michael View Post

W. Michael
!966 were still 6 volt, they went to 12 volt system in 1967.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:42 PM   #25
eagle

I do not plan to convert mine, everything works well at 6V. However, I also see there would be advantages to running 12v neg gnd if you wanted to add accessories. Mine'll stay as is, but I certainly am not going to poo poo those who do convert theirs. I would question those who do the conversion to fix a problem they are having, if a starter or generator or wiring etc isn't cutting it at 6V, it won't be long it won't be cutting it at 12 V either.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #26
30 Closed Cab PU

[QUOTE=eagle;1797472]I do not plan to convert mine, everything works well at 6V. However, I also see there would be advantages to running 12v neg gnd if you wanted to add accessories. Mine'll stay as is, but I certainly am not going to poo poo those who do convert theirs. I would question those who do the conversion to fix a problem they are having, if a starter or generator or wiring etc isn't cutting it at 6V, it won't be long it won't be cutting it at 12 V either.[/QUOTE

X2
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #27
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
!966 were still 6 volt, they went to 12 volt system in 1967.
I have a 1966 Porsche 912 (4 cylinder) that is 6 volts. The first year for the 911 (6 cylinder) was 1966 as well but I'm not sure if it's 6 or 12 volts.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:21 PM   #28
Chopperimpala

I'm going to thread lightly here as I have just gotten my first "stock, non modified" early Ford. I have a couple of others, but they are V8, HotRodded and already converted to 12 volts. I have a stock 6volt, positive ground '30 coupe that I want to convert to 12 volts, and negative ground. I understand the 3ohm coil, that 6 volt wiring is compatible, need to change bulbs etc. what I don't understand is, if I change to negative ground, do I need to source a negative ground starter?? Won't the original positive ground one run reverse if it's hooked up on negative ground?? Maybe that was touched on, but I looked thru a couple of times but didn't see anything about that particular issue??
Thanks, Ken
Chopperimpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:23 PM   #29
Chopperimpala

And yes I've been a member/lurker here for info and learning since 2013, but that was my first post because most of my stuff is HotRods and I post those kind of things over on the HAMB.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:22 AM   #30
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperimpala View Post
I'm going to thread lightly here as I have just gotten my first "stock, non modified" early Ford. I have a couple of others, but they are V8, HotRodded and already converted to 12 volts. I have a stock 6volt, positive ground '30 coupe that I want to convert to 12 volts, and negative ground. I understand the 3ohm coil, that 6 volt wiring is compatible, need to change bulbs etc. what I don't understand is, if I change to negative ground, do I need to source a negative ground starter?? Won't the original positive ground one run reverse if it's hooked up on negative ground?? Maybe that was touched on, but I looked thru a couple of times but didn't see anything about that particular issue??
Thanks, Ken
No, the starter will turn in the same direction. They are not polarity sensitive. When I convert to 12v, I modify the starter so it doesn't kick as hard when it engages. The vendors have kits for that.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #31
Chopperimpala

Synchro909, perfect, thank you!!