Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #21
Ray in La Mesa

Default Re: what makes a A'er

Model A's snuck into my subconscious before I knew what they were. I was 4 or 5 and would be awakened every morning by the idling of a car about 50' from my bedroom window. It turned out there was an old Italian fellow next door who grew flowers & fruit for the Los Angeles flower market, Every morning he would start up his 1928 sedan delivery & let it idle while he loaded it. It was ingrained into my mind so I didn't have a chance to love another make of car as much, even though my dad had a '28 Chevy roadster pickup for dump runs. I don't remember what happened to the Chevy but my daily driver now is a '28 A roadster pickup while I'm restoring a '30 cabriolet. The pickup is an original beater & always draws a crowd when I park it, especially when it's next to a restored car.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #22
Robert/Texas

I had a '28 A roadster and a '32 B pickup back in the 1950's. I got my '28 open cab pickup and '28 roadster in 1989. I still have these two plus a couple of T's and early V8's. All run well but none are show cars.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #23
wmws
BANNED

The pickup is an original beater & always draws a crowd when I park it, especially when it's next to a restored car.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it interesting how a beater will draw a crowd.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #24
mantta

I have owned Model "A"'s since age 13, I'm 74 now. 61 years!
mantta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:16 PM   #25
Gunmetal blue2

From a little kid that seen a model A, I told ever body that some day I would own one. In 1970 I turned 15 bought my first car. It was a 1929 Town Sedan. When I was 16 I got a 29 ccpu, turned 17 I bought a 1929 Tudor a 1930 Tudor and a Woopie or Model A that someone turned in to a tractor. A 54 years I bought a 1929 AA CCPU. I think it runs in my blood, none of the rest of my family owned any. O when I said a kid I meant 4 or 5 years old.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:06 PM   #26
boo

learned to drive in one in 1953,bucked like a bull, could only touck gas petal with my toe. had lots of A's sence have one it took years to get a judge died and i finaly got his A hunting buggy, was in 1947 hunters bible, still looks the same [ google- florida palmetto jumper] will post pix when i learn how....still have 3 A's, looking for a good 4dr
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:55 AM   #27
updraught

My goodness, what are they shoot'n at?

http://www.kitschy-kitschy-coo.com/b...ng-vehicle.jpg
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:35 AM   #28
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Brown View Post
Left click and high-light the print if you want to read Steve's
Thanks for that. I am not very computer literate; you just taught me something. Thanks again,

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:37 AM   #29
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Thanks guys...I was going to delete 1/2 of it but can not...didn't need all that other stuff in there.

Pluck
I found your story very interesting. Great read.
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:50 AM   #30
JDupuis

My wife bought me my first Model A for my birthday in 2005. I'm one lucky guy! Jeff
Old 06-05-2017, 07:30 AM   #31
boo

updraught,they were quail hunters, the car is still exactly as in this 1947 pix, even the grarley gas line , will post a pix soon i hope, car was used by boy scouts for camping, etc all oldtimers in town kno the buggy that are still alive. he was the city judge and parked it doen town during hunting season, last inspected in 1976, he never married and this was his wife & baby,i tried to buy it from for years after he bought a 1958 fwd truck, wouldn't sell just sat in his garage untill he died then a nephu had it for a few years, then his sister [my 4th grade teacher] call me to see if i wanted it. he built it in 1937 originaly w/updates. still has his sleeping bag, stove and all you see in side box are still there. WOW! just realized that pix is 70 yrs old.i had the sister car to this one in 1960-64, his hunting buddie had built on similar but not all the unique things on this one.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #32
WHN

When I was a young boy I would take anything apart. At 12 my parents bought me my first Model A, a 1931 Sport Coupe. Have had Model A's ever since. My hope is that another generation will feel the same attachment to this wonderful car. Cross your fingers.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:07 AM   #33
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questus View Post
I don't know exactly if it is in your DNA or not but I know that I love cars!

YES I do too !!

I´m Beetle infected to yesterday:

First I`m 18: VW 1,2 l 30 PS mechanicalbrakes, semaphores, Building 54 sold

now I`m 66!: VW 1,2 l 30 PS mechanicalbrakes, semaphores, Building 58

and VW 1302 3,0 l 237 PS Porsche Brakes and so on Building 71

and now .... FORD A 1928 Canada Import via NL and now Germany....

the best Thing to do many mechanical work I have had learnd in my first life time, she is called GERTRUD and I`m waiting on FEDEX from Georgias MIKES to do a lot of Things - end of JUNE we want to visit the technichans by authoritys to get the documents for Germany.

I love GERTRUD !

'67 type 1 1600cc single port heads,counter balanced crankshaft,hand balanced pistons and rods,W100 cam,010 distributor,type 3 starter,hand lapped and fitted heads,drilled and tapped for full flow filtration,bosch Al82n alternator,rotary electronic fuel pump..ruby red sedan..and a '57 type 1,mainly stock being sold..model A's and Vw's go back to when I was nine,in 1967.. my father bought a late 31 coupe and a new 1967 convertible.The similarities between the two cars,from the factories they were built in to the economical reliable transportation they offer makes the connection for me. Germanys Model A and Americas Model A..

Last edited by Railcarmover; 06-05-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #34
phonconn

My first A was a 31 slant fordor and I thought it would be a chick magnet as I was a poor teacher's son and could not afford a muscle car like many of my peers in high school. It cost $150 in 1966 and I drove it home crashing into the rear of my father's 64 Nova at the end of a long hill on the way home. Needless to say the repairs to his truck lid, and both rear fenders cost much more the $150 I spent on the car and I learned some really cool new cuss words that day. I was hooked and have been collecting parts at swap meets since and used the parts hobby to fund my restorations even to this day. I have since gotten rid of that first A but added several others since including a 29 closed cab that we have gather original parts for this past 20+ years and hope to have it ready to be judged in Branson for the MARC National there in June 2018.
phonconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:50 AM   #35
Beauford

I saw it sitting in the woods with stuff growing out of it and decided it needed to be brought back to life to tell me the many stories!
Beauford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #36
Chris H

First of all, I have always been a sports car guy. I used to have posters and built models of all the neat cars, but could never afford. I always dueled over the Packards, Pierce Arrows, Cords, and Dusenburgs, as well. All well out of my price range.
I ended up with my first MGB in the '80s, my second a few years later. My dad always wanted a Model T, and always said "some day we will get one". Well that day never came. I always liked the Model As, as they were more drivable on today's roads than the primitive Model Ts. They are more affordable than the Packards, and parts are much easier to get. So I found a Model A and have not regretted the purchase.

I keep mine in as original condition as I can afford. I want it to not only look original, but drive original. After all, what's the point of it all, anyway, if you can not enjoy the entire experience! Dropping in a modern V8, juice brakes, auto transmission, and power steering, it is just a modern car that looks old. Not the full experience! Just my own personal opinion on it all.

1930 Tudor
1964 MGB
1979 MGB

Ham call: N9WHH
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #37
kippmw

My first ride in a Model A was at 2 weeks old in the 30 Deluxe Coupe that my Grandpa and my Dad restored in 1971. I've been working on Model A's, driving and participating with my local chapter ever since. I'm 33 now and my Grandpa and my Dad have since passed on, but I keep the old coupe and our 29 Fordor going, with no intention of stopping. I've owned a lot of different cars, but Model A's will always be my favorite!
kippmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:00 PM   #38
KenCoupe

When I was very young, I had a babysitter that had an old, beat up ccpu Model A. One evening, he gave my brother and me a ride in it. That was probably the start for me. When I got a little older, I started collecting books and magazines about old cars, especially Model T's. As I got older, I began liking the Model A more and more because it was more driveable than the Model T. I finally got my Model A (coupe) after my kids graduated from high school. I'd like to get another one, but I don't have any room to put it.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #39
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCoupe View Post
When I was very young, I had a babysitter that had an old, beat up ccpu Model A. One evening, he gave my brother and me a ride in it. That was probably the start for me. When I got a little older, I started collecting books and magazines about old cars, especially Model T's. As I got older, I began liking the Model A more and more because it was more driveable than the Model T. I finally got my Model A (coupe) after my kids graduated from high school. I'd like to get another one, but I don't have any room to put it.
You could leave it (with keys) at my place.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #40
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauford View Post
I saw it sitting in the woods with stuff growing out of it and decided it needed to be brought back to life to tell me the many stories!
Beauford,
Reminded me, In Oklahoma, I saw a ROOFLESS OUT HOUSE in the woods, with a 17 Foot Cedar growing out of it
Bill Amazed