Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #81
johnny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London On, Can.
Posts: 365
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Don't right of the Ts and As just yet The V8 Ford club had a national driving meet in New York this summer .They had 17 early v8fords .The model Ts were coming to the same area the next week for a week driving tour ,they had 300 cars . There joke was that the V8s were so unreliable that owners were afraid to leave town with them.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:42 AM   #82
stangblue
Senior Member
 
stangblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 368
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Some are in it as a solely as business, some are in as a hobby. Some are are in it as a social event. And some are in it as all three as described above. Long live the Flathead!
__________________
Assumption is the mother of all foul-ups.
stangblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #83
kirkf
Senior Member
 
kirkf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 121
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

I'll throw my 2 cents into this.

I don't think the younger generation, in particular millennials have any interest in this hobby whatsoever.
They have no bond to these vehicles, their parents didn't own them, in some cases even their grand parents didn't.
They are not raised with any mechanical knowledge. The vehicles now are almost completely unserviceable.
And lastly, the generation that really knows these vehicles well is heading into their more advanced years.

At 47, I feel like I'm the youngest guy on here half the time.

Kirk
kirkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:12 PM   #84
TomT/Williamsburg
Senior Member
 
TomT/Williamsburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Williamsburg, Virginia
Posts: 2,410
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkf View Post
I'll throw my 2 cents into this.

I don't think the younger generation, in particular millennials have any interest in this hobby whatsoever.
They have no bond to these vehicles, their parents didn't own them, in some cases even their grand parents didn't.
They are not raised with any mechanical knowledge. The vehicles now are almost completely unserviceable.
And lastly, the generation that really knows these vehicles well is heading into their more advanced years.

At 47, I feel like I'm the youngest guy on here half the time.

Kirk
Kirk - you may be right but time passes much more quickly now than it did back then. Cars then were or are the computers and techno gadgets of today - they were different, intriguing, something new. I think we have to give the younger gen some more time - life has taken on such a rapid pace that I think it may very well be until your age until many will get into this stuff. Education, work, family responsibilities will take precedence first, and then there will be time enough for them to "catch up".

They will have the advantage of us, however - they will not be breaking new ground but recovering what ground we have already broken and much quicker than we did. They will have this and other forums, info on the internet, and so much at their fingertips with their techno savvy that much of what we know will be passed on via the very gadgets they so love to play with now.

But they will have to relearn what we already know, make the same mistakes we have already made, and have all the fun we have had all over again ..... not such a bad thing, wouldn't you say? Heck, they will probably be able to use a printer that will whittle out a brand new flathead block in aluminum, steel, or some new space age material. Now wouldn't that be something?!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:29 AM   #85
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Masterton, New Zealand
Posts: 2,827
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

I'm different; the value of money is meaningless to me. If I want something, I'll pay whatever. I tend to give stuff away; even paying the postage to America or wherever if I 'feel' the guy deserves it. I'm not driven by money, I don't need to keep up with the Joneses, I don't have a smartphone, my most modern car was built originally in 1935. In my opinion, people today are so driven by the almighty Dollar that it 'corrupts' their every thought. It's all about making money.
To me, it's a lifestyle thing, I am proud of my individuality, trying my damnedest to live a wholesome, worthwhile life, like we used to half a century ago, and it amazes people that this old stuff is still up to the task.
My own kids live with all the stuff that everyone needs so much to simply exist these days, they have no interest in any of my old 'crap'.
I have however, encountered the odd [could be a pun!] youngster who is very. very interested in say, my Model T or 35, or tractor, or motorcycle, stationary engine, whatever.... I try to nurture their feelings, because, ultimately, they will hopefully be the caretakers of this stuff when we're gone. It is actually my intention to be able to 'gift' all my collection, individually, to the proper persons, youngsters who I 'feel' have the attributes to live their lives by the same code I have done. There are very worthwhile recipients out there, not many, but they are there. How better to encourage them?
Where I'm going I'll not be needing it......
__________________
Unfortunately, two half wits don't make a whole wit!

Last edited by Brian; 09-20-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Brian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:10 AM   #86
Lawrie
Senior Member
 
Lawrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Qld, Australia
Posts: 3,579
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Brian, guys like you a few and far between, thanks Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #87
Rustedjunk
Senior Member
 
Rustedjunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 266
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39topless View Post
Some what related. Good original parts have become a commodity and there are many guys that just buy and sell parts for a profit. Nothing wrong with that but it does seem to drive up prices for parts and makes it tough on those that want a particular part to actually use. So we go with a reproduction part out of need. To my point. The next time you go to order a part from someone, and some idiot sales guy disrespects you, doesn't know what your talking about, etc. Don't climb on this forum and start bad mouthing the parts company. We need those parts and if a supplier receives enough bad reviews, they're out of business. Rant to your wife or your dog or your mean neighbor instead.
Thank you
Thank you 39topless. Well said! I am very thankful for the suppliers we have. I have newer 80's Chrysler car where the parts and suppliers are much more scarce.
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:46 AM   #88
GreenMonster48
Senior Member
 
GreenMonster48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Enfield Connecticut
Posts: 560
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkf View Post
I'll throw my 2 cents into this.

I don't think the younger generation, in particular millennials have any interest in this hobby whatsoever.
They have no bond to these vehicles, their parents didn't own them, in some cases even their grand parents didn't.
They are not raised with any mechanical knowledge. The vehicles now are almost completely unserviceable.
And lastly, the generation that really knows these vehicles well is heading into their more advanced years.

At 47, I feel like I'm the youngest guy on here half the time.

Kirk
36 here...so not quite the youngest

I've loved flatheads, old hot rods, muscle cars, as long as I can remember. I was lucky when I bought my '48 pickup that at the time I was still single/childless and had the disposable income. There's no way I could take on a project like that now.

Of note, my friend has a beautiful '34 Ford 5 window. My '48 wasn't quite ready yet so I followed him to a car show with my field-fresh 79 F100. The 79 pickup got far more looks, particularly from the younger crowd. That truck is their frame of reference. They remember those, maybe their dad or their grandfather had one and it brought back fond memories, and price-wise, far more obtainable.

While I'm grateful for the opportunity to have built a Flathead-powered Ford, I don't see another one on my horizon any time soon.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #89
Rustedjunk
Senior Member
 
Rustedjunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 266
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkf View Post
I'll throw my 2 cents into this.

I don't think the younger generation, in particular millennials have any interest in this hobby whatsoever.
They have no bond to these vehicles, their parents didn't own them, in some cases even their grand parents didn't.
They are not raised with any mechanical knowledge. The vehicles now are almost completely unserviceable.
And lastly, the generation that really knows these vehicles well is heading into their more advanced years.

At 47, I feel like I'm the youngest guy on here half the time.

Kirk
I got you beat by 8 years. And I beg to differ. I seen quite a few millennials who are interested in the hobby. That's why I make myself approachable, and willing to answer any questions they may have. Plus me being of a darker skin color and driving a late 40's hotrod and sold out to the flathead, younger people wanna know why I'm in the hobby. My 10 year old and 8 year old daughters love to pick up an screw driver or wrench to work on "Neuie" (our 47 Tudor) and my 13 year old nephew. So the interest is there. Plus it doesn't take much to make an Apple iPhone play music on your original tube radio.

Now my philosophy: For the past 15 or more years cars have gotten boring, plain, or just plain ugly with a lot of fluff gadgets. I look at cars on the road now and they are looking like creativity has been fading and designs are getting recycled. I think there will be a resurgence for our cars because they are beautiful, they have character. Our millennials could develop a direct injection for our beloved flathead, or the 30 mpg carbs. Who knows. Let's not look down on them. They can hold resentment too, and our hobby just fades in the rust. Think about it.
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #90
Jeff/Illinois
Senior Member
 
Jeff/Illinois's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,226
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Well put Brian. Refreshing today to see a guy that still has common sense.

Rustedjunk, I quite agree with your philosophy. Not only are cars uncreative and boring today, so are the movies, TV, music, and even American coins. There is no talent in Hollywood that's evident. About all they can do is re-do from the past plus throw in the nudity and foul language ala carte in their 'new' movies. Coins are boring. Quarters look like a Chucky Cheese token. All TV is now is that reality garbage no acting no scripts no talent. Music? 'Little Red Cup' I fill you up let's have a party........ seriously???? That crap is music? Or Rap????

Therefore, yes I can't help but think antique cars and cars thru the 60's will have some kind of following simply because they are not....... boring
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #91
stangblue
Senior Member
 
stangblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 368
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Parts are not cheap and certainly not your time if you value it! As we get older we seem to value our time more, I guess because we know there is less. I purchased a 1934 Ford roadster that was a basket case that was missing half the parts and I was nearing retirement and thought it would keep me busy after retirement. Well that I did for 5 yrs, hunting searching buying the wrong parts becoming educated buying the right one's, relying on body shops and people making wood etc. etc. doing most the work myself.. You know the game. If want to play you have to pay! Well that brings me to that original 33/34 Roadster windshield frame that is priced at 1,600.00 someone mentioned above. I received one with the car it was rusted, rotten in the lower corners as usual, painted silver and the glass was fogged and delaminated. Well I restored it myself taking a couple of days leisurely , brazing and soldering, gusseting and bracing the frame and then having it chromed it came out beautiful. Not keeping track of the expenses because the frame came with the car.
Now for that 1600.00 windshield. I bought a used 33/34 roadster windshield frame on Ford Barn a few yrs ago and thought if my chrome peels or what ever, I can't justify really why I bought but I did for the amount of 475.00 plus shipping lets say 500.00 total. Worked in it for a couple of days doing basically what I did above because it was in the same shape as my first one had it rechromed, the chrommer said it needed a lot of copper ect. ect you know blah, blah bringing the total cost of chroming to 600.00 plus a half day back and forth not cheap but a nice job. Now add a new windshield from Sanders Glass 150.00 with shipping. Making out of wood a jig to hold the frame too sit in so you can grind to the channel of excess copper and chrome to accept the glass and new weatherstripping around the frame and also the glass bedding, new pivot bolts and caps, wing nuts ect. 60.00. Am I getting close to 1,600.00. You can buy a repro just the frame for 900.00 to a 1,000.00 + S&H that doesn't have the curved frame and save all the labor and time and chroming. Authentic original Early Ford Parts aren't cheap! Especially to restore!
__________________
Assumption is the mother of all foul-ups.

Last edited by stangblue; 09-20-2016 at 11:13 AM.
stangblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #92
FRANK PKNY
Senior Member
 
FRANK PKNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: POUGHKEEPSIE NY 12601
Posts: 962
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Just my 2 cents worth! I have been playing with old cars mostly Fords since 1958. Wow makes me older than I look? LOl I enjoy the chase for cars and parts, I often finish a project and sell it, in order to start another one . Well I'm turning 73 and it's getting harder to get things done, however I can deal with this because I have gained a lot of patience over the years, wisdom also comes with age. So I think? I am beginning to collect more cars then I have sold lately. Gave my son my 35 Cabriolet, however he does not show the necessary drive to get the restoration completed. Now to address my opinion, parts are getting dried up and hard to find, I will always pay dearly for a good part, either at a swap meet or on line. Why you ask? Because I have always found starting with very good parts costs less in the long run and I get a better product. To restore a rust bucket is fine , but I hate rust!!! Therefore I'll buy a more solid project to start with. JMHO I have purchased fine original cars that needed to be restored, over purchasing a hunk of junk and restoring it, not because I can't do the work , but because I get a better result on the finished product. Yes the TV shows have given the idea that old cars in general are worth all kinds of cash! But that's life, we must move forward and do what we enjoy. My interests have been in model T's through to 1956 or so I even owned a 60 Oldsmobile, because my father had one and I felt I needed to buy back my youth, sorry to say it did not work , I still am getting older. But that's a good thing because not doing so is not very good. Presently working on a 1946 Ford pick up truck. I paid dearly for this southern truck, some of the mechanical work was neglected, or not done properly. Since mechanical work is my forte I'm good with that. Presently rebuilding the transmission, it's ready to reinstall, hopefully this weekend. I purchased the parts from Mack Van Pelt , he is a straight up guy, purchased his transmission repair book, very well done. His book is far superior to the ford manual in my humble opinion. I found a NOS main drive shaft on epay for a reasonable price. Had I had to go to swap meets for the parts I would have never had the job done for years. Yes it's cheaper to spend more on line especially if you don't get a lot of free time. I think that the online sites have helped me do more work for less money in the long run. Gas has come down but it's not 34 cents a gallon anymore. Frank PKNY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160421_152518.jpg (69.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (77.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg working on the 35.jpg (61.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 39PICKUP.jpg (64.8 KB, 32 views)
__________________
FRANK PKNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #93
mramc1
Member
 
mramc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: West of Rochester, NY
Posts: 83
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

I agree. In my car club of over 140 people I am the third youngest at 38 yrs old. Most of the guys are 55 to 80. Same thing when I go to cruise nights. I'm the youngest guy there 99% of the time with a car older than 1970.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkf View Post
I'll throw my 2 cents into this.

I don't think the younger generation, in particular millennials have any interest in this hobby whatsoever.
They have no bond to these vehicles, their parents didn't own them, in some cases even their grand parents didn't.
They are not raised with any mechanical knowledge. The vehicles now are almost completely unserviceable.
And lastly, the generation that really knows these vehicles well is heading into their more advanced years.

At 47, I feel like I'm the youngest guy on here half the time.

Kirk
__________________
Josh Quick
Quick Speed Shop

"6.50 rubber really gives you the old dig when you need it!"
mramc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #94
Jeff/Illinois
Senior Member
 
Jeff/Illinois's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,226
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Frank..... them's some good lookin' Fords
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #95
itslow
Senior Member
 
itslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 528
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramc1 View Post
I agree. In my car club of over 140 people I am the third youngest at 38 yrs old. Most of the guys are 55 to 80. Same thing when I go to cruise nights. I'm the youngest guy there 99% of the time with a car older than 1970.
Go back to 1972 and I bet that same car club didn't have many 20-somethings in it back then, either.

I would surmise that there are as many Millennials interested in cars now as there were Gen Xer's or the generation previous at the same age. Sure, the cars the majority would be interested in are different, but how many of the 60 year old guys here are interested in vehicles from 1914 or older? (That's the equivalent of a 1948 model for someone born in 1990). Probably not too many. I know even my 72 year old father doesn't have much interest in anything older than 1928. Simply because the "kids" these days aren't interested in old Fords right now doesn't mean they won't find them later.

It really boils down to what exposure a person has had, and it doesn't start with the current youngest generation. If a person born in the 1960s or later didn't have a parent, neighbor, or someone else close to him/her who was into old Fords, it's likely that person's vehicular interests lie in some other time period (ie; muscle cars).

FWIW, I'm 33.
__________________
Mike

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:22 AM   #96
ButchRed33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: the corn belt
Posts: 20
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

It is absurd when folks hoard parts and won't let them go. I understand having extras, but the guy who tells you at the swap meet that he has six "B" blocks on his shelves and won't let go of them is probably blowing smoke.
ButchRed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:26 PM   #97
boo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: stuart, fl
Posts: 156
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

today i was looking at my unfinished pri=ojects, 34 rdstr, all body wk don and 15 yrs of collecting all the right parts, don't kno if i have time to finnish it. 1935 indy car ""kenan wynns car"" much work done. 27 T-V8 coupe was building for ROG, bout week to finn. plus time to keep others running, like others i don't want to get rid of them, "im gonna fix them", it's hard to get rid of projects that have been a dream for 50+ years. did get rid of my flt hd. speed coll. 65 int and 30 st. hds. bidders set their prices,put an intak on @ $250, hopping for $300, i paid $15 years ago, sold for $2525, WOW.I've given lots of parts to people that i kno want to use them and not resell them,trying to thin the herd....
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:33 AM   #98
Rustedjunk
Senior Member
 
Rustedjunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 266
Default Re: Parts prices are killing our hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchRed33 View Post
It is absurd when folks hoard parts and won't let them go. I understand having extras, but the guy who tells you at the swap meet that he has six "B" blocks on his shelves and won't let go of them is probably blowing smoke.
Thank you for pointing that out!
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.