Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #261
HarveyH

Default Re: Model A Huckster Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Harvey above has some very good ideas.
Hey Fred, would you mind calling my wife and telling her that? I can use all the help I can get!!!

Have a Happy New Year!

Harvey
1942 HD45 WLA
1970 BSA 650 Lightning
HarveyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #262
[email protected]

Hello All,
As some of you may recall, I sold my handmade 1928 Model A Ford Woody Huckster to Volo Car Museum in Volo, IL. a few years back. It took me 10 years of part time hobby construction to build this woody huckster truck from scratch just from my spare parts that I collected from 30 years of attending swap meets. The Oak wood that was used to build the body was all from my own trees that I took down from my property and then planed into planks. It was similar to the Johnny Cash song,:One Piece at a Time as it had Model A parts from 1928 through 1933 (rear fenders). After I finished the woody truck build, it then took me two years of battles with the Illinois Secretary of State office bureaucracy to get a title and license for it.

Bob the salesman at Volo said that they had to sign a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) with a national marketing company and Volo was then not allowed to tell me who purchased the truck. He could only tell me that it was headed down to Tennessee and it was purchased by a “Major Distiller”. I was sad to see it go but financially I couldn’t say no to their offer. But since this truck was like part of the family, we spent two summers trekking to Tennessee looking for our baby by touring the Jack Daniels, George Dickel, and Ole Smoky distilleries.. I chased a lot of false leads looking for it but loved the trips as I learned a whole lot about Whiskey… Glad I finally found it as my liver probably could not take any more Tennessee Whiskey tours with the sampling of all of their product afterwards.

I finally found on the Internet a Chicago newspaper article of a local promotion party that occurred for I W Harper Bourbon in Chicago. It was mentioned that they had transported their 1928 Model A truck to Chicago for a Christmas gala held for their officials and distributors. In addition to this truck being the center piece of the party they gave the attendees toy models of this truck. I see that they have painted over the oak and put their I W Harper signage on it and added chrome beauty rings to the rims. Looks unchanged for the most part. I was also told that they removed the engine as a safety requirement for having it on display. This is a shame as it was a great running Model A engine that didn’t leak oil.

Here is some info I found on I W Harper which is owned by British Holding Company, Diageo that owns most of the large liquor brands:
The I.W. HARPER brand has taken a long and remarkable journey, with one important chapter of course being Prohibition. Vital to this era, and throughout whiskey's heyday, were the vehicles commonly used for transporting goods, including spirits. The I.W. HARPER 1928 Ford Model A, located at the Stitzel-Weller Distillery in Louisville, Kentucky, gives a nod to the brand's premium quality withstanding the test of time. The Bernheim Bros. distillery opened its doors in 1870 and thrived through Prohibition. The I.W. Harper namesake was born by 1872 and began producing a whiskey that would win Gold Medals throughout the late 1800s and early 1900s. . I.W. HARPER Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey 41-43% Alc/Vol. © 2017 I.W. HARPER Distilling Company, Tullahoma, TN.

I think I will now be planning a trip down to Louisville, KY to the I W Harper room at the Stitzel-Weller Distillery, 3860 Fitzgerald Road when it gets much warmer to visit my old friend. I am now looking as well for one of those toy trucks that were used at that promotion party which would be a nice keepsake for me….

Happy New Year,
Dave

I have also attached some before and after pictures.

My IW Harper Wiskey Huckster.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #263
Fred K-OR

Dave, looks like you have had a long time relationship with your huckster. Now maybe be able to see it again up close later in the year. Good luck with this plan.

I know what it means to do a huckster or any build like this. I cheated in that I purchased my huckster body from Lentville A's but it still was a long term project. But I had the chassis for years which was a "gift" from my uncle back in the 1950's. Kept the chassis for all these years and finally built the huckster back in 2009. Now it would be hard to part with it. So I realize why you are wanting to see yours again. So good luck.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #264
[email protected]

This Model A hobby sometimes forces you to drink as a new hobby. Now I have to find a liquor store that sells I W Harper Bourbon.

I built mine from the plans from Wagon Works but I had to make it into a cab and a half to allow my long legs. It was a lot of fun and I made literally wheel barrow loads of wood shavings and saw dust for our garden mulch. I had help on obtaining the parts from my local club member friends but I did 99% of the restoration all by my lonesome. Now that I know what I am doing I should build another one. I retired this past July and I am burning through my "honey do" lists so it is a possiblity. But battling with the Illinois Secretary of State's office with getting a license and title for it has sort of soured me on going through that process again.
Dave
Old 01-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #265
Fred K-OR

[[email protected];1574258]This Model A hobby sometimes forces you to drink as a new hobby. Now I have to find a liquor store that sells I W Harper Bourbon.

I built mine from the plans from Wagon Works but I had to make it into a cab and a half to allow my long legs. It was a lot of fun and I made literally wheel barrow loads of wood shavings and saw dust for our garden mulch. I had help on obtaining the parts from my local club member friends but I did 99% of the restoration all by my lonesome. Now that I know what I am doing I should build another one. I retired this past July and I am burning through my "honey do" lists so it is a possiblity. But battling with the Illinois Secretary of State's office with getting a license and title for it has sort of soured me on going through that process again.
Dave[/QUOTE\

When I took my huckster into the DMV office here in Oregon, I had a book full of all the stuff I did to it and where I got all the stuff. They didn't question me at all. Just gave me my title and license and even the gal at the counter, wanted to take a picture of it. But my neighbor purchased a pickup and went into another DMV office and they gave him a bad time. He then went to another DMV office and got the job done. So suggestion may be if you have problem again, try another office of your DMV
You had better get started building another one. Your wife will run out of Honey do's soon and you will be always in trouble with her. "takes one to know one"

Fred
Old 01-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #266
[email protected]

I purchased a 1929 CCPU to salve my feelings of loss on selling my Huckster. The Ill SOS office wanted me to remove the body so they could view the frame serial number that may not have even been there any longer. I had squacked enough on the phone and visits to the local SOS office that they finalluy sent out a SOS Inspector from a regional Chicago office to my home. He also wanted the frame off and started off as a real jerk. I told him how difficult it would be and showed him articles, etc. about serial number locations on the Model A and he eventually started to see it from my viewpoint. He left that day saying that he would take care of it for me but he then called back a couple of weeks later saying he had to schedule another trip to photograph my truck to give to the office gals at the SOS office in the Capital of Springfield, IL. He was pissed that they had him make this second trip. I wasn't surprised as these were the same office workers that had me send them notarized pictures of my transmission housing showing the casting number on it. We all know that the tranny doesn't have a serial number on it just a casting number. Shows that the highly paid state Experts are not that Expert......... PS this all started when the clear title from the purchase was being transferred to my name and they started calling it a 1929 Model T. My mistake was correcting them on this error that they themselves made. Chicago politics at it's finest. I was waiting for someone to ask for a bribe to take care of my problem... I did eventually get a corrected new Illinois title but they sure don't seem to like Model A's...
Old 01-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #267
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I know they look great in natural wood but, in the day, weren't most of the originals painted? I think the wood was usually painted green.
I just got another photo of my old truck now on display and I W Harper did paint it a Green over my clear Oak finish... I hand selected all of the Oak so that it was all great looking grain with no knots, flaws, etc... Oh well, it is their truck now so they can do what they wish....
I W Harper party truck.jpg
Old 01-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #268
veggie

Send a message via AIM to veggie Send a message via Yahoo to veggie

HI Fred
I would like to join your group.I have a 31 veggie pick up truck.
What's your web site?
Al R.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:19 PM   #269
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie View Post
HI Fred
I would like to join your group.I have a 31 veggie pick up truck.
What's your web site?
Al R.
Welcome to the group Al. Do you have a picture of your truck? If so go ahead and post it to the site.

BTW not to sure what you are looking for as far as a web site. This is our web site where we post stuff about our rigs.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #270
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I just got another photo of my old truck now on display and I W Harper did paint it a Green over my clear Oak finish... I hand selected all of the Oak so that it was all great looking grain with no knots, flaws, etc... Oh well, it is their truck now so they can do what they wish....
Attachment 345347
I think you guys are correct about some of the hucksters being painted green in the old days. But I like them to be just the wood showing without any paint on them.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:52 PM   #271
tkaris

I am new to the Huckster group.
I have completed my Huckster this summer after restoring a Model A Deluxe Coupe in 1987.
My hobbies include woodworking and restoring old cars and I thought that this was a way of satisfying both interests.
My Huckster is constructed from parts collected over many years at various swap meets.
My huckster body design is based on the Wagon Works plans but the door opening was increased 2 inches to match that of a tudor Model A. Other modifications include moving the cab back 4 inches and designing the doors to overlap as per the Lentville design. The narrow rear fenders are original Martin Parry and the seats are original Model A tudor.

The chassis is restored all original 1930 Model A with the exception of a Cling hydraulic brake system using 1948 Ford hubs and backing plates.
The engine is upgraded with a counterbalanced crank, B cam grind, lightened flywheel, and a B head and water pump.

When I have time I will provide a photo gallery showing the construction details.
tkaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #272
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
I think you guys are correct about some of the hucksters being painted green in the old days. But I like them to be just the wood showing without any paint on them.
I restored an original steel clad 1928 huckster and it was fully painted back in the day. But when restored, I could not bring myself to cover all the lovely oak, so just painted all the steel parts. Later I sold it to Progresso Foods. They turned it into a vegetable truck to use in their TV commercials, and painted over my oak. Oh well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2-FirstDay.jpeg (230.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 9.54.46 AM.jpg (104.2 KB, 45 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #273
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaris View Post
I am new to the Huckster group.
I have completed my Huckster this summer after restoring a Model A Deluxe Coupe in 1987.
My hobbies include woodworking and restoring old cars and I thought that this was a way of satisfying both interests.
My Huckster is constructed from parts collected over many years at various swap meets.
My huckster body design is based on the Wagon Works plans but the door opening was increased 2 inches to match that of a tudor Model A. Other modifications include moving the cab back 4 inches and designing the doors to overlap as per the Lentville design. The narrow rear fenders are original Martin Parry and the seats are original Model A tudor.

The chassis is restored all original 1930 Model A with the exception of a Cling hydraulic brake system using 1948 Ford hubs and backing plates.
The engine is upgraded with a counterbalanced crank, B cam grind, lightened flywheel, and a B head and water pump.

When I have time I will provide a photo gallery showing the construction details.
Sounds like you have built up a interesting huckster. Yes be happy to see some of your work in pictures.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #274
kenparker

My little woody is stil under construction and some would say it is not a true woody ---and I agree. But here is what she looks like and a short story of how she came about. attached into a WORD doc.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #275
kenparker

oops the attachment did not attach. its too big. I will rewrite andpost when done. ken
Old 01-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #276
kenparker

third try. Sorry guys. The file is too large to post. It is a WORD doc file size 1258 . and has several pictures in it. ????????
Old 01-06-2018, 07:35 PM   #277
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Fred,
Do you know the history and evolution of the Model A Ford Huckster?
I am in process of preparing my Book 2, or Part 2, of my Model A/AA Ford production series of 3 books and Part 2 is dealing with the Commercial Model A vehicles.
Each assembly plant ordered or was sent from Dearborn a series of Commercial chassis of which were assembled onto specific Commercial type Model A body styles.
The left-over chassis were then sent to Independent Body Builders (IBB) so as to build and assemble their own bodies.
How did "huckster" come to be?
Were there Model AA Truck "hucksters"?
Any information would be useful for inclusion in Part 2 within the (IBB) section.
Thanks Fred.

As that fact goes...if any of you can add to information on the "huckster", that would be great.
Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #278
HarveyH

Woo Hoo, my dormant Huckster project just got a shot of caffeine! My new Mitchell transmission was delivered two days ago! Once installed, this will complete my chassis and allow me to start building the body!!!

Now comes the fun part: Spending all day at the specialty lumber yard, combing through 217,346,305 White Oak boards to find half a dozen useable ones! (UGH!!!)

Harvey
1942 HD45 WLA
1970 BSA 650 Lightning

Last edited by HarveyH; 03-30-2018 at 05:04 PM.
HarveyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:36 PM   #279
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Fred,
Do you know the history and evolution of the Model A Ford Huckster?
I am in process of preparing my Book 2, or Part 2, of my Model A/AA Ford production series of 3 books and Part 2 is dealing with the Commercial Model A vehicles.
Each assembly plant ordered or was sent from Dearborn a series of Commercial chassis of which were assembled onto specific Commercial type Model A body styles.
The left-over chassis were then sent to Independent Body Builders (IBB) so as to build and assemble their own bodies.
How did "huckster" come to be?
Were there Model AA Truck "hucksters"?
Any information would be useful for inclusion in Part 2 within the (IBB) section.
Thanks Fred.

As that fact goes...if any of you can add to information on the "huckster", that would be great.
Pluck

Steve,

Sorry I did not get back to you on this subject. Just happened to run across it today.

Again, sorry I am not a true expert on Hucksters. The only info I have is what Jon Van Lente gave me when I purchased my wooden body from him. He owned Lentville A's in Holland MI. 616-393-0363.

He mentioned that the Huckster body was produced by the York-Hoover company. And they also produced Depot Hacks. But it seemed like York-Hoover produced most of their bodies for the Model T rather than the Model A. York-Hoover produced bodies up into the 1950's or so. Many of the old milk trucks that went around neighborhoods were York-Hoover bodies. But Jon mentioned that he had inquired, I think, at the Ford museum and had gotten information about Huckster bodies produced back in those days. So he built his bodies similar to the information he received. And like you mentioned, the body builders like York-Hoover received the chassis from the Ford Motor company and used them in their products. I would assume like the motor home builders do today.

As you all know the huckster was a "peddlers" wagon where that person could go around the neighborhoods peddling their products using the huckster.

Again Steve, this is about all I know about the Huckster body.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:55 PM   #280
Rustbelt A

Is there any way to modify a coupe firewall to make a huckster from it?

I can't figure out the difference where the wood attaches to the firewall.
Rustbelt A is offline   Reply With Quote