Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #1
David R.

Default Ford part number system

Somewhere I saw a chart that showed how Ford grouped their part numbers as to specific parts of the car. It was a picture with different sections of car shaded in different views with the corresponding parts number ranges..ie, chassis, engine etc.,. Can’t remember where it was. Any one know?
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:25 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Ford part number system

Yes, It is in the July-August 1931 Ford Service Bulletins Pages 578-579.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #3
David R.

Thanks, I knew I had it somewhere.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:29 PM   #4
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Yes, It is in the July-August 1931 Ford Service Bulletins Pages 578-579.

Pluck
Maybe you could post it for those people that do not have the service bulletins!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
Jeff/Illinois

I was a Fords Parts Manager in the mid-70's for a couple of years. Ford has the best parts numbering system of any car manufacturer hands down. It was Henry's design.

It is simple and when you know the sequence and the 'why' of how it is set up with Basic Part Numbers according to group, and the prefix and suffix attached, you can decipher with pretty good accuracy, about any part number and know exactly what models and years of car or truck that part fits w/o having to look it up.

Now there's GM and Mopar's numbering system
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I was a Fords Parts Manager in the mid-70's for a couple of years. Ford has the best parts numbering system of any car manufacturer hands down. It was Henry's design.

It is simple and when you know the sequence and the 'why' of how it is set up with Basic Part Numbers according to group, and the prefix and suffix attached, you can decipher with pretty good accuracy, about any part number and know exactly what models and years of car or truck that part fits w/o having to look it up.

Now there's GM and Mopar's numbering system

Yep, grew up with it.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:41 PM   #7
Bill G

Years a go I had a 64-1/2 Mustang, and my recollection is that all the numbers for that particular car started with C4ZZ and then a part number. Then, years later I got the Model A and it didn't take me long to realize that the parts all had a very distinct similarity to them. It would not surprise me if some obscure part designed for the Model A was still being used in the 64 Mustang. However, as a 20-something year old and broke, I used to frequent junk yards to buy my Mustang parts in the '70's. It occurred to me rather early on that I would pay a lot less for a part to a 170 cu in engine if I asked for the part for a 64 Falcon rather than for a Mustang.

Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:08 PM   #8
SteveB31

1000-1999 hubs and drums
2000-2999 brakes
3000-3999 front end
4000-4999 differential
5000-5999 frame
6000-6999 engine
7000-7999 transmission
8000-8999 cooling system
9000-9999 fuel system
1000-10999 charging system
11000-11999 staring system
12000-12999 engine electric
13000-13999 lights
14000-14999 wiring
17000-17999 bumpers, wiper
18000-18999 accessories

The list goes on ...

Prefix before those numbers indicated year and model
Suffix indicated different applications.

For designed this number system with the introduction of the Model A, replacing a bad Model T number system. Same number system still used today.

A rotor is still 12200. Each different rotor has a different prefix and or suffix.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #9
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Years a go I had a 64-1/2 Mustang, and my recollection is that all the numbers for that particular car started with C4ZZ and then a part number. Then, years later I got the Model A and it didn't take me long to realize that the parts all had a very distinct similarity to them. It would not surprise me if some obscure part designed for the Model A was still being used in the 64 Mustang. However, as a 20-something year old and broke, I used to frequent junk yards to buy my Mustang parts in the '70's. It occurred to me rather early on that I would pay a lot less for a part to a 170 cu in engine if I asked for the part for a 64 Falcon rather than for a Mustang.

Bill there is some truth to what you are saying. The "Z' indicator in the 'C4ZZ' prefix indicates Mustang. 'A' was Galaxie/full size Fords, 'B' was Fairlane/Torino 'T' was truck series 'U' was Bronco.

'C' was for the decade 1960's, ('D' 70's, etc,) '4' was the year (1964 in this case) and 'Z' was for Mustang. That same part number could carry over to several following years it depended upon the engineering drawings and status/ replacement/upgrade of the part.

Lincoln parts had a 'W' in the prefix, like 'C9WY---- whatever for a '69 Lincoln. 'M' was for Mercury. Lincoln pretty much shared the same drivetrain as Ford so we'd order Ford parts for our Lincoln customers and saved them some coin. P/S units, that sort of ting were peculiar to Lincoln so that didn't work.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:44 AM   #10
Manuel

That looks so easy.
How about the Chrysler of GM part numbers. Can anybody explain them?
Can't seem to work then out.

Manuel in Oz
Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:28 AM   #11
David R.

Years ago I worked as a fleet mechanic for a bakery company. They had GM 1 ton P30 aluminum body step vans. I had 1960-1973 trucks in my fleet. Local Chevrolet parts counter man would immediately recite part numbers when you told him what you wanted, and tell you how many he had in stock, no matter how obscure the part was. I could walk in and say I need an emergency brake drum for a ‘63 P30 and he would rattle off a part number and usually tell how many were on the shelf, unless someone sold one on his day off. He even knew what stock all the bakeries in town carried in their shops.
He called me one day and asked if I had a spare P30 I beam front axle. I said yes, how did you know. Well I sold it to them a few years ago he said. One of the other bakeries in town had broken one. He wanted to know if he could borrow it and order me another. I said OK. Good he replied, Purity Maid’s mechanic is on his way to your shop and I have yours ordered.
Never knew what happened but a few years after he retired he jumped off a bridge, left his car sitting on the bridge with door open they said.