Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2022, 08:10 AM   #1
wwirz

Default MARC Event in Morgantown PA

I am looking forward to this event. We are travelling 180 miles with friends (also in a Model A) from the Southern Tier of NY. It should be a great week! Who all is driving their A and what distance? See you there!!!
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:16 AM   #2
AL in NY

Default Re: MARC Event in Morgantown PA

Driving down from Newburgh, NY with four other Model A's. It's a short 160-mile drive.
Old 05-06-2022, 04:05 PM   #3
shew01

Default MARC Event in Morgantown PA

My wife and I are planning to drive from Roanoke, about 400 miles on the back roads. We plan to meet up with some other Model A’s on the way. We’re praying for no breakdowns, no accidents, and no flats. It’s the longest trip we’ve ever attempted in a Model A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by shew01; 05-06-2022 at 04:13 PM.
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:32 PM   #4
jg61hawk

I asked the same question...so we need to combine the results. I'm driving from Central NJ...looking forward to great time. The Gettysburg event was surely a wonderful time.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ght=morgantown
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:41 PM   #5
jg61hawk

Hey Shew...If you have the Red Les Andrews Book just look up the maintenance schedule. My thoughts (after driving to Gettysburg...where I was very worried until I got going...12 hours) are just these....Air the tires, check every Banjo Bolt on the Differential, check water, trans, engine, and rear oil. Torque the head. Grease the water pump and other bearings of importance (clutch, universal and throw out) These old birds want to run...Relax and enjoy...if anything does happen...the meet has a repair tent area...you'll be fine.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:55 AM   #6
shew01

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg61hawk View Post
Hey Shew...If you have the Red Les Andrews Book just look up the maintenance schedule. My thoughts (after driving to Gettysburg...where I was very worried until I got going...12 hours) are just these....Air the tires, check every Banjo Bolt on the Differential, check water, trans, engine, and rear oil. Torque the head. Grease the water pump and other bearings of importance (clutch, universal and throw out) These old birds want to run...Relax and enjoy...if anything does happen...the meet has a repair tent area...you'll be fine.

Yes, I plan to service the car before we leave. I’m planning to complete all these in the incoming weeks. Thanks for the concise list. I plan to grease the wheel bearings this weekend.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:01 PM   #7
wwirz

Good luck driving everyone! See you there!
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:42 AM   #8
jak

Debbie & Alex will be set up in the swap meet section trying to sell off some of my treasures. She's so motivated that she is leaving me behind and will have a space set up to sell part by the pound. No new parts just lots of odds and ends. But she will also have some other items that will have a price marked on them. Make sure to stop over and see them.
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:33 PM   #9
jg61hawk

Hey just did a shake down and I got the shakes! Never had the old gal stall out (except once with some old gasket in gas tank covering the intake). Today driving along smiling in 93 degree heat... she sputtered and died. Long story....and it could be...but I must have experienced VAPOR LOCK. I eventually removed the in line filter, (NON STOCK- Between the carburetor and the firewall clean out thing. I also wrapped the fuel line in aluminum foil. Yes sounds crazy, but after stalling and seeing no gas...this worked. Again this could be a long story of tried this and that, but I respectfully suggest the in line filters, if you are using one, should be removed for a long HOT trip. I think the filter I used was slowing the flow to the point the E10 corn gas was turning to vapor. Just a thought. Also I am a fan of the Red Les Andrews Book... Driving to Morgantown.... check his lists in the back for PM and safety...but my one favorite is the Banjo bolts...always found one or two loose. By the way we are driving from NJ and leaving early Sunday to avoid heat and traffic....hope to see you all there and share tales of the great adventure!

Last edited by jg61hawk; 05-30-2022 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:06 PM   #10
shew01

I’ve been working on our car to get it ready for the trip for the last couple of weeks. I had some loose head bolts and some loose banjo bolts. I went through a bunch of maintenance stuff: adjusted brakes, reset points, checked the radiator, checked battery, greased the wheel bearings, adjusted the clutch pedal, checked the differential, greased the chassis, checked the transmission fluid, changed the oil, etc. Whew! I’m tired. [emoji13]

My wife and I are looking forward to the trip.