Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2021, 09:07 PM   #1
Stingray70

Default 4 post lift

I am seriously considering installing a 4 post lift in the near future. Those of you that use them, what to look for? What to avoid? I dont mind spending a bit more to avoid cheap imported junk. Definitely want something I can get parts for in the future.

I also have a couple of Corvettes so shallow ramps are important.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:19 PM   #2
TerryO

Default Re: 4 post lift

I really like my 9000 lb 4 post Advantage Lift. I also went with the taller one so I wouldn't scalp myself every time I walked under it. It has nearly 7 ft clearance underneath as well as casters so it can be moved. I went with 120V so it can be plugged in where ever I place it. I've had it for 5 yrs and no problems. My son's F350 crew cab will fit but just barely.I hope this helps.

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:29 PM   #3
Stingray70

Thanks Terry. Were you able to assemble/install it yourself?
Old 02-10-2021, 10:59 PM   #4
PalAl

I asked a similar question last May and got some good information.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280369
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:00 AM   #5
Wick

I have a Backyard Buddy 4 post lift. I use it for different things. I can back my truck up to it and slide the camper shell off and on. I have backed a car trailer to it and rolled a car off on to it.
I had a roadster body on it and rolled it onto the chassis. If you work by yourself it's like having a extra pair of hands.
I can also hang parts off of it for painting.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:18 AM   #6
brokenspoke

BendPac I love mine
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:59 AM   #7
Ray64

Eagle with #7000 Cap. Also casters to move it around Perfect
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #8
Big hammer

Any lift would be better than no lift! But to me wouldn't a two post be better? A two post you could lift a body off the frame, remove an engine, have less objects when removing rear ends. Maybe the question is what are you going to do under a car just oil changes or major work. With a 4 post it looks like a pia to work around thr ramps and cross members.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:47 AM   #9
Chris in WNC

Backyard Buddy is best and safest.
Avoid the others.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #10
Stingray70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Any lift would be better than no lift! But to me wouldn't a two post be better? A two post you could lift a body off the frame, remove an engine, have less objects when removing rear ends. Maybe the question is what are you going to do under a car just oil changes or major work. With a 4 post it looks like a pia to work around thr ramps and cross members.
I agree with you and in a perfect world I would have a much bigger shop and one of each! I have limited space and like the idea of not having to bolt the lift to the slab. I really would like something to make general maintenance easier (especially on the Vettes). If I start pulling bodies off of frames, I will need a bigger building anyway.

I saw a 4 post setup recently where there were sliding crossmembers about a foot wide that could be moved anywhere along the ramps. He had pneumatic jacks that sat on those and could lift axels, etc. That made it easy to remove all 4 wheels.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #11
old31

Stingray I have used my 2 post on C1's and My Model A. Just like Big said you can do more and easier than with a 4 post.

2 posts take up less room (you don't have 4 posts and you don't need the extra length for the ramps), you do have to drill into the concrete (need about 4 inches), you can store cars on them, and you do not have to purchase a rolling jack to work on brakes or front end.

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-9KOHX

Last edited by old31; 02-11-2021 at 11:03 PM.
old31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:00 AM   #12
ronn

I agree with you Big Hammer- would think the 4 post would be best for storage.

doing a brake job and Im thinking the 4 post would always be in the way.........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #13
TerryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray70 View Post
Thanks Terry. Were you able to assemble/install it yourself?
Along with my son we assembled it in 2-3 hours...The track with the cylinder is pretty heavy (my engine hoist came in handy) . Another nice thing about the extra height is that the ramps hang down a little lower when the lift is raised and if you don't take them off I still have head clearance...(I'm 6 ft).

TOB
Old 02-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #14
TerryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
Backyard Buddy is best and safest.
Avoid the others.

I just looked on the Advantage site and they now build the Backyard Buddy lifts. Also they look to be quite a bit lighter (smaller components) than the Advantage. I first saw the Advantage at Hershey a few years ago and was impressed enough to save a flier and compared with other brands before I bought one.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #15
77Birdman

I have neither, but if and when I get one it will be a 4 post. I think they both have their advantages and disadvantages. My thought process and I may be wrong, is that a 4 post is a bit safer, and offers better/safer storage. As for buying one, I would approach like any tool, buy the biggest and best you can afford. I looked at Backyard Buddy a few times at Carlisle and they def were a quality product. At the time they were being made in the US.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:18 AM   #16
77Birdman

I thought at one time Backyard Buddy was a 'mom n pop' type of manufacturer, I recall reading that they were sold to another company, I suppose it was Advantage.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:21 AM   #17
TerryO

Smile Re: 4 post lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
I agree with you Big Hammer- would think the 4 post would be best for storage.

doing a brake job and Im thinking the 4 post would always be in the way.........

The tracks are great to put the parts and tools on when working on brakes plus if you have a large shop you can put it where you want it even outdoors...

I don't think I feel comfortable anchoring a 2 post lift in only 4 " of concrete...JMHO

TOB
Old 02-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #18
wwirz

I have an EAGLE 4 post lift. My 1930 Model A is on it now raised up about 3 feet and dressed to keep the mice out (Hopefully----I spray it once each week with peppermint spray too). Wheels are lifted to take the load off the bearings for the winter. Nonetheless, it is a very versatile lift that I can use for all of my cars and tractors. It is safe. I raise the cars and tractors high enough that I can walk under them. It is permanently located and attached to a concrete slab.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:44 AM   #19
ronn

I don't think I feel comfortable anchoring a 2 post lift in only 4 " of concrete...JMHO

dont know a single person who doesnt install at least 8" around posts.

4" would def not pass muster at any township permit.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:02 AM   #20
Roger V

Several years ago I checked this out. Ended up with a Autolifter (since under another name) four post. Made in the USA and was certified vs. most then were just "approved" by a marketing association. While I had the floor in that bay poured six inches thick I thought the four post safest and take care of my needs. The movable jack bridge took care of most things. This lift is movable which I've done though not frequently. The MAIN thing to check on a four post is how the cross beams attach to the posts. IMO they need to be around the post NOT inside a slot in the post. If in a slot I would definitely anchor to the floor. I've seen pics of that type collapsing. A two post has some advantages and requires special extensions for a Model A to clear the running boards. Have seen some lifting under the radius arms! A friend's co-worker dumped a car when he removed a rear-end because he didn't think about putting it out of balance. So, I have a four post.

BTW, I brought it home on my open car hauler. Went to the trucking terminal so I had a dock to back up to as there's no way to unload off a semi at home. They loaded on with a fork truck with long forks and chains. I unloaded in my garage with a cherry picker on one end and chain fall on the front side of the trailer (1700 lbs.) Assembled by myself with the cherry picker. The one exception was needing my wife to keep the main runners from moving while positioning. Took 3 to 4 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lift.jpg (58.8 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Roger V; 02-12-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:18 AM   #21
katy

I have a "Lift King" 4 post, 7000 lb, hoist, bought used in very good shape, and I'm quite happy w/it. Moved it home all assembled on my 14' car hauler trailer. Shoulda took a picture.
I bought used because of the price, about 1/2 of new.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:28 AM   #22
Stingray70

Great ideas guys. Keep them coming.

Looks like I am going to have lots of reading this weekend. Interesting how backyard buddy and advantage are both from the same company. They advertise the "buddy" as made in USA. I don't see that on the advantage line. I wonder if that is the same lift but made overseas?
Old 02-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #23
LeonardS

I have had 7 different 4-post lifts. All of them have worked great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 779FFDE0-69C3-49C5-91FF-FA9E31B8E827.jpg (59.3 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 914C0DAF-E907-498C-BD43-24519A1AB83B.jpg (46.1 KB, 87 views)
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:57 PM   #24
redmodelt

Having worked around both types, for doing any real work on the car I would go with the 2 post. The 4 post in my OP would be fine for general maintenance and storage but all those post and rails I find to be in the way. I took a look at some of the sites that sell the 4 post, you don't see many touted for working, most every one shows cars being stored. If you want to change tires or do brake work or ?, you then have to buy more "stuff/things" to lift the car up off the rails if it does not come with them. One site I looked at, those jacks run $800 to $1600 more over the cost of the lift. that may be the top end prices, I only check one.

I was just thinking about how nice it would be to have a 2 post lift today before I read this, wishing I had space for one for.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:14 PM   #25
TerryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray70 View Post
Great ideas guys. Keep them coming.

Looks like I am going to have lots of reading this weekend. Interesting how backyard buddy and advantage are both from the same company. They advertise the "buddy" as made in USA. I don't see that on the advantage line. I wonder if that is the same lift but made overseas?

The Advantage Lift is built in China (the only thing I don't like about it) but is much heavier than the Backyard Buddy I looked at a few years ago. I made a couple of calls before I bought and asked where it was built. The answer was China but made heavier with thicker steel than the competition. It does have the post completely encased by the beam rather than the slot. It would be nice to be able to check them out in person before purchasing.

TOB
Old 02-11-2021, 11:09 PM   #26
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
I have had 7 different 4-post lifts. All of them have worked great!
Now that is what I call a garage. WOW.
old31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:22 AM   #27
brokenspoke

I'm too old to crawl on the ground to place the arms on a two post lift

Last edited by brokenspoke; 02-12-2021 at 06:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2021, 08:41 AM   #28
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
I have a "Lift King" 4 post, 7000 lb, hoist, bought used in very good shape, and I'm quite happy w/it. Moved it home all assembled on my 14' car hauler trailer. Shoulda took a picture.
My neighbor had a really nice 2 poster. He died unexpectedly, after some time had passed I approached his widow regarding helping her clean out the shop. Which was full of cars and parts. She was much appreciative. I asked if she would be interested in selling the lift, at which time she said it had already been sold and was waiting for the guy to come get it. Fast forward 3 years, she was moving, I went back over to help with the 'final' cleanout, lift still there. I asked her again, saying it would be cash in her hand by the end of the day, out of the garage the next. Same thing, 'her mechanic' wanted it and was going to pick it up. New people have been in the house for a year and half now, lift is still there!!

I suppose I should have walked over with cash in hand!!!
Old 02-12-2021, 11:34 AM   #29
SwampLedge

Like brokenspoke wrote, because of age, it hurts too much to get down on the floor, position lift arms, and get back up like I’d need to do with a 2 post lift. With the four post, jack positioning can occur at a more comfortable height when wheel removal is necessary. On top of that, nice to be able to observe clearances for exhaust, etc., with the vehicle weight supported by the suspension.

2- versus 4-post arguments will be with us until anti gravity lifts are invented. Everyone needs to decide what works best for their needs.
SwampLedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:58 AM   #30
100IH

Without jacks both front and rear a 4 poster is just for oil changes and extra parking space. Also safer on the floor no torsion and faster to get on and ready to lift.

2 post is major pain to set up and not as safe.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #31
Bud

What are the recommended bay heights for these lifts?
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:21 PM   #32
harleycontracter

I have 2 Rotary 4 posts lifts. No issues and very safe .
harleycontracter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:12 PM   #33
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
What are the recommended bay heights for these lifts?
I would say 10’. You want enough height to be able to stand under the car when you are working on it. If you are ok with being bent over while working on it, then you could get by with less height. For storage purposes, you add the height of the top car, the height of the bottom car + approximately 6” and that will tell you the overall height needed.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:00 PM   #34
TerryO

My shop has 12' side walls and 17' in the center. My lift has 6' 10" under the tracks at full height and a truck (F350) is probably another 6-7 ft so I would need a minimum of 12' and someone to watch to make sure I stopped the lift before I reached the top. Of course if you were lifting a car on a standard height lift you probably would be ok with 12'.

TOB
Old 02-13-2021, 12:43 AM   #35
Chris Haynes

I bought the two post lift. The idea of being able to remove wheels, brakes, suspension, etc. without using jacks is just too good of an idea to me.
https://www.garageappeal.com/dannmar...two-post-lift/
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:50 AM   #36
brokenspoke

How often do you remove the wheel, suspension?
Old 02-13-2021, 05:54 AM   #37
ronn

if you like restoring cars- often.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:59 AM   #38
Licensed to kill

ANY lift is better that no lift. Buy what suits your needs. If you want to store cars on it and do general maintenance (grease and oil changes), I would get a 4 post IF you have the room. Of course you can do those things on a 2 post but setting the arms can be a PITA ESPECIALLY on cars low to the ground. I went with a 2 post for a couple of reasons. The 2 main ones were 1-I didn't want to dedicate the floor space for a 4 post and 2-I wanted the ability to lift off car bodies. The 2 biggest advantages of a 4 post IMO, is that you don't have to set the arms and you don't have posts beside the doors. The beauty of that is that when doing under dash wiring you can lift the car to a comfortable level and stand beside it and reach up under the dash rather than being a contortionist all twisted up and upside down in the cab.Of course, on the flip side, to do wheel work you need jacks with a 4 post As far as safety goes, if you question your own ability to set the arms correctly you probably can't set the jacks required for wheel work on a 4 post safely either and maybe working on cars isn't for you. Would I trade my 2 post for a 4 post??. nope. If I had the room would I add a 4 post to the shop?, in a heartbeat.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #39
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
FWIW, my shop is 32' X 60' w/a 13' ceiling.

Last edited by katy; 02-13-2021 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Corrected typo
katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #40
LEM

Anyone use the max Jack 2 post lift? I like the idea of being able to unbolt from Floor and with the attached wheels move the post out of the way when I need the room in my small garage.

Last edited by LEM; 02-27-2021 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
LEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:53 PM   #41
Gene F

Height of building when all the way up. Don't forget to consider the roof, so you don't colapse your vehicle.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:12 PM   #42
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEM View Post
Anyone use the max Jack to post lift? I like the idea of being able to unbolt from Floor and with the attached wheels move the post out of the way when I need the room in my small garage.
https://www.maxjax.com/

Neat, would be neater if'n one didn't have to bolt it down.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:21 PM   #43
MickyD

I had a 4 post bend pac and loved it. My only mistake was having the 115 v motor instead of the 220. I believe it might of been just a upgrade with wiring. Anyway it was very slow going up and down but it was very sturdy. I had to use my engine hoist to move it around to put it together. I made the mistake of getting the roller wheels later and if I had got them when I had ordered it, they would have been a lot cheaper in cost.
MickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:39 PM   #44
TerryO

[QUOTE My only mistake was having the 115 v motor instead of the 220.][/QUOTE]

Yes the 110V is slower but with the lift being portable you can plug it in any 110 receptacle.

TOB
Old 02-17-2021, 10:04 PM   #45
denis4x4

Backyard Buddy has provided excellent service for 20 years and it’s made in the USA.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:33 PM   #46
holdover

I have two 4 post lifts. A BendPac HD9 and a HD 12 that is extra long to accommodate crew cab long bed pickups and my AAs. Just ordered a Rolling Trolley Jack with 6000 LB capacity for the Bendpac HD 12, now I have the best of two worlds, the ability to easily pick up one end for suspension work and with the adjustable arms pick an end up from the frame, suspension or body pads. For the last 13 years I have used the HD 12 with its adjustable ability to set ramp distance apart, with jack stands to do just about everything the Rolling jack will do, the Jack will just make it easier. I use the HD 9 mostly as a storage lift to increase garage capacity. Too old to work off a creeper. But beware you'll find out you have a lot more friends!
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:01 AM   #47
TerryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Backyard Buddy has provided excellent service for 20 years and it’s made in the USA.

I don't know if that is still true. Advantage Lifts is now the manufacturer of the Backyard Buddy lift and they have the Advantage lifts built in China, so the Backyard Buddy may be built in China as well...I don't know for sure...

TOB
Old 02-18-2021, 09:24 AM   #48
jwmckenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
I don't know if that is still true. Advantage Lifts is now the manufacturer of the Backyard Buddy lift and they have the Advantage lifts built in China, so the Backyard Buddy may be built in China as well...I don't know for sure...

TOB
The web page for the Backyard Buddy lift, clearly states it is Made in USA.

https://www.advantagelifts.com/pages/ah-lifts
jwmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:51 PM   #49
TerryO

Thanks for the info...I hadn't looked at their site in a good while, I just remembered reading that Advantage had bought Backyard Buddy...

TOB
Old 02-19-2021, 09:56 AM   #50
jwmckenzie

They seem to understand that some customer prefer to buy USA, and a brand name matters. My though is they bought the "Backyard Buddy" brand for it's reputation, so are not going to change the Made in USA part of that reputation.
jwmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #51
Mike the Grump

I've been watering and fertilizing the garage for years hoping it would grow to accommodate a lift. So, far it hasn't worked.

If you get one, congrats.
Mike the Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #52
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspoke View Post
When rotating tires, doing a brake job, Packing wheel bearings, ETC.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #53
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspoke View Post
I'm too old to crawl on the ground to place the arms on a two post lift
Wow! Sucks to be you. :-)
Old 02-20-2021, 12:11 AM   #54
cokefirst

I have a reasonably large shop that I purchased for a song back during a recession several years back. I have four, 4 post lifts and a 2 post for repair. I use the 4 post lifts for storage and the 2 post one for repairs. I have used my 2 post lift to do repair on my 2005 F250 Diesel and my 1931 AA truck. All of mine are Chinese and I have owned one of the 4 post models over 20 years with No problems. I found that they make an extra wide, extra tall model and that is what I buy for my 4 post models now so that I can put old Broncos and Expeditions on it. I understand the distaste for Chinese manufacturing, but to be hones, I have had no trouble with mine and they appear to be very sturdy.

If you want US made, you can go for a Mohawk or other us made item but the cost will be 2-3 times as much. As long as these work and are sturdy, I am OK with the foreign manufactured products.
cokefirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:10 PM   #55
Chris Haynes

I bought my lift from Bendpac. They offer several different two and four post lifts.
https://www.bendpak.com/?msclkid=23f...ontent=General
Old 02-21-2021, 08:33 AM   #56
Chris in WNC

My aversion to Chinese lift manufacturing is based on safety.
The Backyard Buddy web site used to have detail photos of lifts showing design differences that make you think twice about the Chinese ones.

I do understand that Chinese manufacturers cut corners mostly at the behest of US buyers who want lower prices.
If you specify what you want and are willing to pay for, it their quality is acceptable.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:24 AM   #57
SwampLedge

The Advantage 9000 # capacity four post lifts are manufactured in China and are now ALI certified.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:19 AM   #58
Stingray70

I haven't bought one yet but am leaning heavily toward the backyard buddy. I am so pissed at the Chinese I will happily pay the extra $2k to get one made here.

I appreciate all the responses here. It has given me much to consider.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:54 PM   #59
TerryO

Quote:
The Advantage 9000 # capacity four post lifts are manufactured in China and are now ALI certified.

The Advantage also has 5" post compared to Backyard Buddy's 4"...I wonder if BB uses US steel or China steel.

TOB
Old 02-21-2021, 05:30 PM   #60
Bruce of MN

Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:10 PM   #61
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post

Ouch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:38 PM   #62
whirnot

I have an 8000# Direct Lift with about 7 foot of lift.
It is Certified, and movable. Very happy with it.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #63
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
My aversion to Chinese lift manufacturing is based on safety.
The Backyard Buddy web site used to have detail photos of lifts showing design differences that make you think twice about the Chinese ones.

I do understand that Chinese manufacturers cut corners mostly at the behest of US buyers who want lower prices.
If you specify what you want and are willing to pay for, it their quality is acceptable.
While it is true that you can get some real worthless junk out of China, It's wrong to automatically assume that its junk just because it is Made in China just like it is wrong to automatically assume that it is quality just because it is made in the USA. China puts out some quality stuff (but it's not cheap)and the USA puts out some junk. You have to loom at the actual product to determine it's quality, not it's country of origin. However, there is nothing wrong with wanting to support local manufacturers and therefore only look at Made in USA products. Just don't assume that it means they are quality. Bottom line, you can NOT get quality cheap, regardless of country of origin. You can, however get expensive junk so beware.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #64
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
While it is true that you can get some real worthless junk out of China, It's wrong to automatically assume that its junk just because it is Made in China just like it is wrong to automatically assume that it is quality just because it is made in the USA. China puts out some quality stuff (but it's not cheap)and the USA puts out some junk. You have to loom at the actual product to determine it's quality, not it's country of origin. However, there is nothing wrong with wanting to support local manufacturers and therefore only look at Made in USA products. Just don't assume that it means they are quality. Bottom line, you can NOT get quality cheap, regardless of country of origin. You can, however get expensive junk so beware.
Words of wisdom here. Thanks!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:24 PM   #65
redmodelt

Ya but at least that brand stands up to the riggers of crushing a car! LOL
Old 02-22-2021, 03:33 PM   #66
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Ya but at least that brand stands up to the riggers of crushing a car! LOL

I wonder if the (cheap) switch stuck on?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:09 PM   #67
redmodelt

or distracted car lifting as some sweet thing walked by! https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294796

Last edited by redmodelt; 02-23-2021 at 11:23 AM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:28 AM   #68
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
I wonder if the (cheap) switch stuck on?
I'm thinking more that it is photoshopped. The yellow bar across the top is the safety switch to prevent such an occurrence and the bar appears to be still in the neutral position and not bent at all, the "wrinkles" in the door are un-natural and why would the roof pillars and windows be stronger than the doors and quarters?.
Not to mention that he cross bar is a relatively light cause sheet metal and would crush/bend with VERY little contact.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:29 AM   #69
Keith True

That picture has been around for a few years.When I first saw it the story that came with it was the car had been damaged,then put on that lift for disassembly.Then some guys there took the picture for a joke.It is crushed in all the wrong places for it to have been damaged by that lift.It is still a fun picture,and a friend has it taped on his lift.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:03 PM   #70
Ted Duke

STILL have it still use it. Great for under car work. Jacks make front end work easy. S-I-L did complete rebuild of a front on his pickup. We have done brake jobs. I can store my Karmann Ghia UP and move around under it. It is easy to move when empty. I have done it several times due to circumstances. VERY solid.

Re: Garage Hoist

I have an Atlas 4 post. Wish I had bought it sooner. Works with my 1970 VW Karmann Ghia, 1965 Mustang (wife's), 1961 CORVAIR, 2001 Dodge Dakota, 2011 T&C and will work with the Model A when it arrives from the bodyman (son Andrew).

Best thing I ever bought. Works great, easy to move by myself (30 x 40 shop not quite bug enough, should have built a 60 x 80 LOL)

Pick it up and NO FREIGHT. I think the price picked up was $2295. Don't have the paperwork handy.

ATLAS Garage PRO 8000 https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/4-Post-Lift/Hobbyist
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:30 PM   #71
LEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEM View Post
Anyone use the max Jack 2 post lift? I like the idea of being able to unbolt from Floor and with the attached wheels move the post out of the way when I need the room in my small garage.
Hate to have this post die out! Is there not someone in this form ever use or have the MAX JACK 2?
LEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #72
SwampLedge

LEM you should go over to the Garage Journal forum where you’ll find tons of posts about the Maxjax- you just won’t find many related to use on a Model A.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:58 PM   #73
1stford

I just went through all this. It only took me 8 months to make a choice. I looked at most brands, talked to everyone that sold them within 250 miles and even paid a small REshipping fee to send the lift back after I decided to buy a different one.
I have a bendpak 2 post 10,000 LBS and a bendpak 4 post HD-7W. The bendpak, for me, seemed to be the best overall value. It’s not the most expensive lift out there but not the cheapest either. For me and my life I’m not trying to save every dollar I can on something I’m standing under that’s holding 4,000 to 5,000 lbs. I read many articles and reached out to many folks in this site.

One thing you will find is that there are a couple of manufactures that make most lifts and rebrand them. Most all are made in China except for backyard buddy, that I know of. Back yard buddy was super nice but also came with a price tag.

On a 4 post lift you can expect to pay 1800-2000 on the low end, 3500-4000 mid range and 4800+ for the back yard buddy stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA93F7F1-504A-415F-952C-FE892B9C4431.jpg (80.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 99526ECE-27C0-4943-A866-2D8E79312AD3.jpg (75.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg E258F843-566C-4465-B89F-C70CDB07068D.jpg (47.3 KB, 35 views)
1stford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:15 PM   #74
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stford View Post
I just went through all this. It only took me 8 months to make a choice. I looked at most brands, talked to everyone that sold them within 250 miles and even paid a small REshipping fee to send the lift back after I decided to buy a different one.
I have a bendpak 2 post 10,000 LBS and a bendpak 4 post HD-7W. The bendpak, for me, seemed to be the best overall value. It’s not the most expensive lift out there but not the cheapest either. For me and my life I’m not trying to save every dollar I can on something I’m standing under that’s holding 4,000 to 5,000 lbs. I read many articles and reached out to many folks in this site.

One thing you will find is that there are a couple of manufactures that make most lifts and rebrand them. Most all are made in China except for backyard buddy, that I know of. Back yard buddy was super nice but also came with a price tag.

On a 4 post lift you can expect to pay 1800-2000 on the low end, 3500-4000 mid range and 4800+ for the back yard buddy stuff.
Looks like the same 2 post i have. Bend pac, 10,000 lb, asymmetrical low profile. When I set mine up I went with the wide stance thinking about door clearance then found that the front arms BARELY reach the frame on a model A. Have to be dead centre between the posts.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:41 PM   #75
Model A Ron

I have a heavy duty 9000 Backyard Buddy and love it. Also got the extended height as I am 6'3'' and wanted to be comfortable when working on my cars. Four post lifts are much safer in my opinion and they can double as car storage freeing up a spot in your shop. Sure it is a bit more work to use the rolling jack stand when you need to get the wheels in the air but I am not working on cars for a living and the added safety is well worth it. Be very careful when looking for lifts as many have cheep China Steel and are nothing but junk. Not saying you need to get a Backyard Buddy but after much research I decided to go with quality and more importantly keeping myself safe......Being made in the USA was also important as I support American jobs. Trust me China steel is not good. The metallurgy is a nightmare, the Chemistry is not controlled under ASTM Standards, and the strength is unpredictable due to both. Do yourself a favor and watch the videos on backyard buddy and the competition and I am sure you will make the right choice.

By the way when my backyard buddy arrived I could not believe how thick the steel was. I am a big man and I struggled just to get the thing off my trailer with a cherry picker and 2 friends. You will need friends as assembly is required.

Hope this helps

Ron

Last edited by Model A Ron; 03-02-2021 at 11:51 PM. Reason: typo
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:51 AM   #76
SAJ

I have a 4 post English Bradbury. Instead of rolling transverse jacks, it has two extra longitudinal beams that adjust sideways on small rollers supported on two lateral beams. These beams rise and fall with the car ramps, but can be locked in any position under the car to support either the axles or chassis when the ramps are lowered away. This leaves the wheels free for brake work or spring and axle removal if stands are placed on the beams to reach up and support the chassis.
For rear axle and driveshaft removal using the rear wheels to roll the assemblage out from under the car, the beams can be rolled outside the car before driving it onto the ramps, in which case small hydraulic jacks are used from ramps to frame.
I have not seen this scheme on any other brand, but for me it works very well. Brake work at chest height is so much easier, and greasing, oil changes, main bearing checking etc at full height easy too.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:43 PM   #77
SwampLedge

I don’t think it has been mentioned here, but I find my 4 post lift very useful as a maintenance platform in my shop. I can roll it anywhere in my shop, and with the wood fillers I built to span between the runways, I have a “dance floor” useful for working up at the ceiling level.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:06 PM   #78
[email protected]

35B1767E-6457-4C77-9791-5988E96D5C54.jpg

There is a weak link in many of the electric motor controllers used on many of these cheaper lifts both in 2 and 4 posts. There is an electromechanical relay used to control the ups and downs... The companies that use a Chinese made electromechanical relay have issues with the contacts welding themselves together. So sometime when you release the up lever it keeps on going up until it finally hits the safety stop. Oil change shops were getting sued when pickup trucks with tall camper shells were being accidentally shoved into the ceilings. The real high end lifts being sold typically use more expensive solid state relays that are contactless.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:14 PM   #79
Stingray70

That is scary. I wonder if a 220v model would have less chance of that happening. Less voltage drop, less heat in the contacts, etc
Old 03-04-2021, 10:32 PM   #80
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Attachment 457347

There is a weak link in many of the electric motor controllers used on many of these cheaper lifts both in 2 and 4 posts. There is an electromechanical relay used to control the ups and downs... The companies that use a Chinese made electromechanical relay have issues with the contacts welding themselves together. So sometime when you release the up lever it keeps on going up until it finally hits the safety stop. Oil change shops were getting sued when pickup trucks with tall camper shells were being accidentally shoved into the ceilings. The real high end lifts being sold typically use more expensive solid state relays that are contactless.
This is the first I've heard of this. I have, however seen that picture before. I wasn't there when this happened but I am pretty certain that the wreck was caused by someone lifting by the body and not the frame so the weight of the frame/drive train ripped the body bolts out. Whether that is true tor not I don't know (just my observation) but I am even more certain that it was NOT caused by a faulty switch. There appears to be zero damage to the roof of the vehicle and I fail to see how squishing ta vehicle against the ceiling would cause the frame to separate from the body. Again, just my observations.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:05 AM   #81
LeonardS

Quote:
Attachment 457347

My level of worry about a sticking relay is ZERO! Even the U.S. made lifts are probably using a Chinese relay, since they probably supply all of them. Pay attention and if it sticks, unplug the power cord or pull the hydraulic release valve. You are required to be right at the pump to raise the lift, since the switch is on the pump. I’ve had 7 of the 4 post lifts over the last 25 years. 1 was U.S. made and 6 were Chinese copies. No problems with any of them.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #82
katy

Quote:
There is an electromechanical relay used to control the ups and downs...
On my 4 post lift all the relay controls is the hydraulic pump, on or off, controlled by a push button.
If the relay were to stick all one would have to do is push the lever that allows the lift to descend. If the pump continues to run, wait until the lift is all the way down and then there is lots of time to go and disconnect the power.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:43 PM   #83
[email protected]

The electromechanical relay issue is not something I made up as a tall tale. I was working with one of the major US manufacturers of the motor driven hydraulic pumps used for several of the commercial grade car lifts. Their legal department was very busy with this liability issue getting into the thousands of dollars in settelments until their engineers and management upgraded their Chinese made ~ $2.00 relay to a ~$20. USA made solid state relay manufactured by Crydom. I did not make this stuff up trolls.......

That picture I posted earlier was some picture I found at random off the Internet...
Old 03-05-2021, 03:46 PM   #84
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
My level of worry about a sticking relay is ZERO! Even the U.S. made lifts are probably using a Chinese relay, since they probably supply all of them. Pay attention and if it sticks, unplug the power cord or pull the hydraulic release valve. You are required to be right at the pump to raise the lift, since the switch is on the pump. I’ve had 7 of the 4 post lifts over the last 25 years. 1 was U.S. made and 6 were Chinese copies. No problems with any of them.

Do you use your lifts commercially with up to 20 cycles per day. Lots of difference in use on these lifts between oil change shops, car dealers, and a guy in his home garage.....
Old 03-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #85
LeonardS

Quote:
Do you use your lifts commercially with up to 20 cycles per day. Lots of difference in use on these lifts between oil change shops, car dealers, and a guy in his home garage.....
I’ve never used them commercially and I’ve never had problems using them the way I do. Maybe all of mine had U.S. relays......my pumps are all Duro Hydraulics.

Last edited by LeonardS; 03-05-2021 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:51 PM   #86
[email protected]

9E863D24-99D0-4D5A-BBC0-6538FD0BF6E5.jpeg
Old 04-17-2021, 06:26 PM   #87
31a

I installed a Challenger LE 10 2 post lift 220v a year ago works great would do it again have had no issues and it makes things much easier my opinion
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:13 PM   #88
jayvee34

I bought a Back Yard Buddy about 25 years ago. I use daily, and have not had
problem with it. I use it for all kinds of jobs.

Being that I do all my own work I would be lost with out it. I even raise my car to clean wheels, tires, clean and wax from the waist down with out having to
bend down.
jayvee34 is offline   Reply With Quote