Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #1
Orca62

Default Model T front spring length

Hi, I am looking for the loaded spring width of a Model T front spring. Also need the distance from the spring eye to perch eye. I assume the spring shackle is situated on a 45 degree angle the same as a Model A setup. I am in the process of restoring a sprint car that was made from a Model T chassis. It has a tube axle instead of a Model T front axle. Thanks.
Orca62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:28 PM   #2
39portlander

Default Re: Model T front spring length

I would suggest and recommend "T" Springs in W Hartford Ct. Talk with Travis, he is great to deal with and makes a quality spring. Also a connoisseur of fine micro-beers

I installed new front and rears on my 26 Fordor. He would be able to build or recommend a proper spring for your sprint car.

www.T-SPRINGS.com or 1-860-233-3557 Good luck and let us know how you make out.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:16 PM   #3
Orca62

Hi O.K. I have the front spring and the shackles that came with the sprinter but the axle was long gone. That is why I was looking for the width so I can modify the tube axle that came with the car to reuse the front spring.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:04 AM   #4
39portlander

The width between my front spring perch's are 36" on my Fordor, I checked several other year front axles and all 36".

Assuming the perch width was kept the same during production.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
Orca62

Fantastic.That is a great help. Many parts from other cars were used in building sprinters back then. I had a midget that was originally powered by a Model B motor then someone changed it to a V-8 60. Found a few holes in chassis to reveal this secret! I will measure the at rest width of the T spring I have and get back to you. Believe it is the later version as the ends of the springs are cut on a 45 degree angle. Also the rear Model T spring is still in place so I will work on that issue next. Much appreciated !
Old 01-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #6
Orca62

Hi, Just checked parts. Front leaf spring is 8 leaves total. At rest width is 31 1/2 inches wide. So with Model T shackles at a 45 degree angle inserted into spring perch at one end and in spring eye in the other, I measure the perch bolts center line to center line as installed into an axle at 36 inches as was reported. Do these measurements sound correct? Thanks
Old 01-22-2021, 01:55 PM   #7
Orca62

Hi another thought on this. Do you need a spring stretcher to install a Model T spring in the axle perches. If the spring perch bolt center is 36 inches as stated and my parts ring up to 36 inches unloaded on the ground, then no spring stretcher needs to be used! Had a job removing a front Model A spring from a 1932 Ford axle that sagged out from the weight of a six cylinder motor in another sprint car to change it. And had to reinstall a couple of leafs at a time until I got the stack back together and bolted up again to the frame mount. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:41 PM   #8
39portlander

On a T when you install and remove the spring a small piece of 1"x4"x5"-6" under the spring ends and then jack up the axle to match the perch holes with the spring holes.

I think I posted some pictures on this a few months ago that may help. That sprinter project sounds interesting, you gotta post some pics.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:07 PM   #9
Orca62

Hi O.K. Then the figures I have are correct. Did not want to drill more holes in the tube axle than necessary. The front spring has oiler holes so assume Model T Ford issue. I may have Model A shackles instead of Model T ones. The frame is 98 inches long center line of axle to axle. Has had a z'ed section installed in it. Would not know how to determine what year the chassis is. Any thoughts. At the moment the remains I purchased are tucked in the shed and am working in the basement on the front axle assembly to keep busy. But I will post a photo of what it looked like when I got it and progress I make. Finishing up a 2 man sprinter at the moment and have a working restored 1921 Dodge Brothers chassis done and tackling the Touring body. Garage also shares space with our 1961 Corvette. If appropriate on this forum I will post those photos. Thanks for the tips and will check them out. Appreciate it.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:28 PM   #10
Orca62

HI wanted to respond to all here. We were able to achieve installing a front Model T spring and shackles on Model A spring perches. The spring perches were then installed on a modified Plymouth wavy tube axle for the sprint car project we are doing. Everything came out well with the support here. Much appreciated!!
Old 02-04-2021, 01:30 PM   #11
J Franklin

Now that you got our help we will demand some photos of your project!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:44 PM   #12
Orca62

O.K. Sorry will post!!
Old 02-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #13
Orca62

Hi, found photos to post. This is the modified tube axle to fit Model T front spring on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0999.jpg1 man axle.jpg (110.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-17-2021, 03:03 PM   #14
Orca62

Hi, pulled frame out of storage as weather getting better. It is a 1923-1925 chassis according to Ford barn data here. By hand brake bracket it appears to be a 1924 chassis. Installed front and rear springs on chassis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front crossmember1.jpg (81.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg crossmember2.jpg (104.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg crossmember3.jpg (81.6 KB, 9 views)