Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #21
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: What is driving an A on snow/ice like? Can you add studs to A tyres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
30ccpu, Sorry if I came off as confrontational, just an observation that a younger guy (56,lol) does know what they are. Having said all of that, it has been at least 30 years since I have seen them, In fact I dont think I have even seen a 'snow' tire in the last 30years. All season tires are the norm around here. Of course we dont get the snow that you do either.

I did not take it as confrontational, just part of the conversation. Your post did prompt me to investigate further. Which was great, learned that most states still allow studded tires, which really surprised me. Learned that my original post was narrow and confined to IL and WI.

I tired a few quick searches and got nowhere as to when IL and WI banned them, but could not find that info.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #22
oldforder

Default Re: What is driving an A on snow/ice like? Can you add studs to A tyres?

I, being 77 years old, remember studded tires very well. I had them on my work car, and in my garage, I even had a studding gun, and studded other peoples tires. At one time I even had all 4 tires on my old work 63 chevy car studded. Handled great on slick roads.
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #23
30 Closed Cab PU

So did we answer the Posters original question? Can they be added to the Model A tire without causing problems?

I think we went off topic some, but still a lot of good/interesting info.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:16 PM   #24
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. View Post
I haven’t driven one yet on snow and ice but imagine they would do well. Low power vehicles typically are more sure footed in those conditions because they don’t tend to break traction as easily as high power vehicles. The old 4 cylinder IHC Scout would outperform the Chevy V8 Blazer of the day in deep snow hands down. Dad had a 4 cylinder Ranger 2wd pickup that the tractor trailers would pass on hills but you couldn’t stop it in snow.

^This^

Had a Cutlass with 350/4-barrel - too much power, front heavy, rear light and having posi-traction didn't help. It would slide if someone spit on the street. Also had a 4-cylinder Fiero - enough but not too much power, light, and better weight distribution biased to drive wheels. Best car I ever drove on snow/ice.

I've driven Model A in winter on dry road but don't recall driving on snow/ice. I do rememer one time I was home from college and it got below zero. Neither of my parents' modern cars would turn over enough to start. Neither would my A but I got it going by cranking it - used it to jump Dad's. Probably put a strain on the 6V system but didn't seem to do any damage and was just enough extra juice to get him going.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #25
ryanheacox

Studs I'm not sure about but I'm pretty sure Johnathan Klinger, www.365daysofa.com, had his tires siped for winter driving. On snow, siping would be more useful anyway.

I drove mine around the driveway and up and down our snow covered dirt road over the winter just to see how it would do. It was good, probably the best RWD vehicle I've driven in the snow.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:13 PM   #26
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
So did we answer the Posters original question? Can they be added to the Model A tire without causing problems?

I think we went off topic some, but still a lot of good/interesting info.
Back to the op's ? Thinking back some tires where stud able, they had holes in the tread for studs. I've seen pictures of people drilling holes in tires and installing bolts sharpened to a point for racing on ice!
Old 08-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #27
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Back to the op's ? Thinking back some tires where stud able, they had holes in the tread for studs. I've seen pictures of people drilling holes in tires and installing bolts sharpened to a point for racing on ice!

I was wondering if the studs went all the way through. and if inner tubes would they cause issues with the inner tubes. And are the Model A tires constructed well enough that they could be run with a bunch of holes drilled in them?
Old 08-14-2020, 06:39 PM   #28
Big hammer

As I remember the studs didn't go though the tires only into a cavity, they would come out of the tire with a bang. Maybe counter sunk screws with the head inside the tire would work and a nut outside? I know if it's that bad, now I'am staying home lol
Old 08-14-2020, 06:45 PM   #29
M2M

https://brunowessel.com/resources/how-to-stud-a-tire/
How to Stud a Tire

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:54 PM   #30
30 Closed Cab PU

Thanks, looks like they only go into the tread, not through the tire.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:10 PM   #31
M2M

I sure do like the idea of overtaking modern cars on icy Interstates with these studs !

Old 08-14-2020, 08:15 PM   #32
McMimmcs

No the original tires are not fit for studs no matter what anyone says.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:33 PM   #33
KGBnut

I think you would have a hard time finding a shop that would still install studs. You can only safely (and legally) stud a brand new tire. You never stud a tire that has wear. Around here, in southern Connecticut, they pretreat the roads and plow really quick. It is hard to get to the snow before the road is clear. I drive my Model A year round, and she is fine in the snow. I do have chains for it but have only mounted them once or twice.

Ken
Old 08-14-2020, 08:40 PM   #34
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
No the original tires are not fit for studs no matter what anyone says.

Care to explain why?
Old 08-14-2020, 08:43 PM   #35
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Care to explain why?
Because the tires are not manufactured to accept the stud.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #36
30 Closed Cab PU

A point i must have missed. Did not know you could not stud a standard tire. - Thanks
Old 08-14-2020, 09:33 PM   #37
M2M

Quote:
Because the tires are not manufactured to accept the stud.

That may or may not be true but it doesn't necessary mean adding studs to say a 19" Firestone will not work or be unsafe. You shouldn't drive at 61mph in a 60 zone but people do and police don't normally book them nor do they normally get killed because of speeding by 1 mph.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #38
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
That may or may not be true but it doesn't necessary mean adding studs to say a 19" Firestone will not work or be unsafe. You shouldn't drive at 61mph in a 60 zone but people do and police don't normally book them nor do they normally get killed because of speeding by 1 mph.
And just how would you propose to add the stud?
Old 08-15-2020, 05:56 AM   #39
shew01

Here is an interesting article about studs, but it doesn’t mention Model As. I was surprised to see the technology is still evolving. I haven’t seen a studded tire in years and (incorrectly) assumed they were no longer available.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.whe...ded-tires/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:21 PM   #40
M2M

Quote:
And just how would you propose to add the stud?
Firstly, you DO NOT have to buy a $400 stud gun like this loser did in the video below (I'd like to punch this guy in the face and smash his glasses):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNyxIiRclNU

This way is for real Model A and T guys like us:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4-Y8Qr77ZA
Buy from Italy:
https://www.best-grip.com/en/
Or buy from USA store:
https://www.gripstuds.com/customercornercars.php

I tried the 1500s in my Hummer this last time, and they worked very well. I drove up a steep, icy hill last winter, and was able to come to a full stop without sliding, even though several cars including a police car, had slid off into a ditch. Then I was able to accelerate right up the hill!
Steve V. - Kelowna, BC Canada - October, 2015

These were used in the Fast & Furious movie.

Last edited by M2M; 08-21-2020 at 11:58 PM.