Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #1
rfitzpatrick

Default Driver Licneses In a Model A Lately

When I relocated to Fla.,(in 1985) I was required to take the State's drivers test.
Just curious, anyone done something like this using their Model A?
Thanks
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #2
Dean Lemoine

Default Re: Driver Licneses In a Model A Lately

I haven’t done it, but that would be the absolute neatest thing to do.
Dean Lemoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
Pete2125

That would be great.
Thankfully they must have done away with that rule because when I relocated to FL, I didn't have to retake the test. I do remember when I took my drivers test in NJ I took it in a manual transmission car. The instructor got in, looked at me and said, "If you stall once, you fail." I didn't stall, but he was a jerk for trying to make a kid nervous
Pete2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
DBrer

It would probably make the instructors day. He would be paying more attention to the car then to the driver.
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
d.j. moordigian

Yes Sir...!
In 1966 I took the test for my licenses in my 1928 A Roadster,..the guy didn't think
I ran the RPM's up high enough in each gear! Hell...I could hear the rods rattling and
I told him..
I still have my 28 Roadster..
djm
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:36 AM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

Usually they check your safety equipment - brake lights, seat belts, turn signals, brake lights. Would be interesting to take a stock A and see what happens - no turn signals, one dim brake light, no seat belts, etc.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:23 PM   #7
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrer View Post
It would probably make the instructors day. He would be paying more attention to the car then to the driver.
Not in Illinois. They want everyone to fail, regardless of age. If I pulled up in a Model A or a V8 Ford, they'd pick the car to death. You'd think with registration cost at $150 each they'd want to pass everyone. The folks that work at my local DMV hate their lives.
Seth Swoboda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #8
ryanheacox

I've often wondered about that. Somehow I doubt the DMV instructors in CT would appreciate it much. I wonder what they wouldn't like more, the hand signals or the single amber brake light?
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #9
Jim Brierley

I took mine in my '29 Hudson Super-six. This was on my 16th birthday in 1953. Everything worked on the Hudson, including the turn signals as long as the drivers window was open. There was only 1 car parked on the street as we returned to the DMV office, the tester told me to pull along side of it and parallel park behind it. I was about two thirds in and he said "that's far enough, your going to make it". When done he gave me a score of 99, because he had never given a 100% score. This was in the Monrovia, CA office, I chose it because it was open on Thurs. & Fri., my birthday was on a Thurs. I ha never looked at the DMV booklet, so missed 2 questions on the written. Of course I had been driving since age 11 or 12. The son of a friend took his test in a brass-era Model T touring car. The tester looked it over carefully, shrugged his shoulders, and said lets go! He passed easily.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:17 PM   #10
Marcus

Funny stories! Took mine in Lawton, OK, Dad was stationed at Fort Sill. Father-son project was a 1951 Chevy, 2dr post, 327 CI, 4-speed, painted Corvair Midnight Blue. Examiner was a car guy, and we talked cars for 10 minutes before the drive. During the drive, examiner warned me about a driver running a red light (I had already observed him) - I dropped into second gear and hammered it: examiner laughed and said, "you are finished - take me back to the station." I was positive I had failed: he took off a point for "speed shifting."
Old 03-04-2020, 08:36 PM   #11
Keith True

When I got my license in 1972 we couldn't use an A.We had to show proper use of the safety equipment,and the A didn't have it.If you could show it was the only vehicle available to you you could use it,But,to get a license at 16 you had to have driver ed.All driver ed programs were required to make a vehicle available for your test as part of the program.I know it's changed now,a few years ago we watched a young guy take his test in an A phaeton.A DMV station is right across the street from a diner we eat lunch at so we saw the whole thing.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:14 PM   #12
gdmn852

Hello in 1971 my girlfriend used my 1930 A coupe to pass her Pennsylvania drivers license,trooper that passed said if she could drive it,she could drive anything ��still have the girl , now wife , but not the A .However working on a 1930 chassis I hope to restore.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:53 AM   #13
RJones70

Haha, no I haven't, but I've been wondering about that too! Thanks for sharing your stories, guys!
RJones70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #14
JBill

Once you reach a certain age, it's not the driving test it's the vision test you have to worry about!
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:03 PM   #15
Jim Brierley

People slam the CA. DMV, but I've had very good results there. After my stroke I had to go thru the whole process, and was treated very well. Making a reservation is a big help. Been there 5 times since 2013, good results every time. Last time was to change to handicap plates on my R-350, saved the $200 weight fee!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:33 PM   #16
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Driver Licneses In a Model A Lately

I took my DMV driving test in 1967 with my '29 Chevy coach. The highway patrolman tester chuckled and said: "let's go...". I passed. I had been driving for two years on a learner's permit, with and with out a fully licensed adult!

On a similar note I have, I bet, a "very" rare accessory to go with my '31 "A" roadster and me. That nobody else might not have: an original driver's license with my name on it issued in Raleigh, NC, in 1931! In reality the license was issued to my grandfather who was the Senior. My father was the Junior and I'm the III or Third. On the license it only states the name without Sr.,Jr. or III.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #17
hop up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Not in Illinois. They want everyone to fail, regardless of age. If I pulled up in a Model A or a V8 Ford, they'd pick the car to death. You'd think with registration cost at $150 each they'd want to pass everyone. The folks that work at my local DMV hate their lives.
I believe you may have a bad DMV in the way of attitude. I have to travel about a hour to go to My DMV and they are car friendly and even have old cars taped to the walls. They asked for a picture of my car when I registered it to put on the wall as the person who was helping me had a model a ford. I think each place is different and taking a Model A would be just awesome...
Old 03-06-2020, 09:31 AM   #18
hop up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
I took my DMV driving test in 1967 with my '29 Chevy coach. The highway patrolman tester chuckled and said: "let's go...". I passed. I had been driving for two years on a learner's permit, with and with out a fully licensed adult!

On a similar note I have, I bet, a "very" rare accessory to go with my '31 "A" roadster and me. That nobody else might not have: an original driver's license with my name on it issued in Raleigh, NC, in 1931! In reality the license was issued to my grandfather who was the Senior. My father was the Junior and I'm the III or Third. On the license it only states the name without Sr.,Jr. or III.

Bob-A
Bob-A that is so cool in so many levels !!! Thanks for sharing
Old 03-14-2020, 03:24 PM   #19
P.S.

I taught my neighbor's kid to drive manual in a Model A. When it was time for him to go take his test, they said he couldn't do it in the Model A because it did not have seat belts, and the proctor wouldn't ride in a car without seat belts. Weenie.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:12 AM   #20
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

P.S., I enjoyed your sense of humor.

Others too!
You guys always bring a smile to my face.
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote