Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
matt92vr4

Default New guy to the Barn - 1929 Model A

Hello, my name is Matt. I'm new to the Barn and new to Model A's. Although I'm new, I'm very happy to be here.

Last weekend I was out picking and came across a gem in the distance in an old garage. Upon inspection it was a 1929 Model A truck. It looked to be in good pretty good shape and it had an old For Sale sign on it! $3,300 obo. The very nice old man who owned it said that it had been parked there for years but it ran when it was parked. He said he would let it go for $2,800.

I really have no need for this thing but it was so cool I could not get it out of my head. I told my dad what I found and he said his first car was a Model A back in 1944 and he has wanted to buy another one for years! I did a little research and it seemed that $2,800 was a deal!

So my dad went over and bought it and we towed it back to my house. Attached is a picture of my Dad (he's 82, one year newer than the truck haha) with his new truck!

We towed it home with a chain and my dad was doing all of the braking in the Model A, so that was quite fun. After we arrived safely home our next choir was to get it running. It was converted to 12v so we hooked up a battery and cranked her over. She turned really nice but would not start. We were not getting any spark. After cleaning the points we were able to get spark. A little shot of starting fluid and she fired right up! I had to keep it running manually by spraying gas into the carb but she sounded great! The gas tank is full of rust on the inside and very nasty. We removed it and are in the process of cleaning it (attached pic).

I'm a Model A newb, so please let me know if you see anything in the pictures that stands out as being strange. I know the wheels are not original and my Dad would like to find a set of 5 Model wheels for it.

The plan is to get it running very nice, give it a better black paint job, paint the wheels red with white wall tires, silver bumpers and grill. Then enjoy it!

So technically I am not an owner of a Model A, but it lives at my house and I will be doing all of the mechanical work on it with my dad. He will do the body work and paint. I'm very excited to find a nice forum like this to exchange ideas and find parts. My experience is in newer Japanese cars so let me know if you ever need anything in regards to that. Thanks for looking!

-Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A.jpg (79.0 KB, 667 views)
File Type: jpg MA Gas tank.jpg (72.2 KB, 797 views)
matt92vr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: New guy to the Barn - 1929 Model A

Welcome to the barn. I think you have the perfect plan for your new Model A: work with your dad to get it running, and have a bunch of fun with it! That's what this hobby is all about for me, and you are fortunate to have your dad to enjoy it with.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
matt92vr4

Thank you, I am very blessed to still have him around. I have not seen him this happy in a long time!

Question: Are all of the throttles hand operated? I have no idea how to drive it haha.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
newshirt

What a cool truck! Have fun with it.

The hand throttle acts sort of like a cruise control. But you'll normally use the accellerator on the floor. The hand throttle is mechanically connected to the accellerator.

You might consider picking up a copy of the owner's manual. Bert's has them. It will show you how to start and operate the truck.

Also, Model A Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards, and Les Andrew's books.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
1930artdeco

Welcome to the barn! Until you find the correct wheels you may want to leave as is and just drive it. it reminds me of something off of The Waltons or Green Acres! Make sure you drop the pan and check the bearings and for any other foreign objects. Someone put a very nice looking bed on her as well.

Mike
Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
CarlG

Welcome to the Barn. It's neat that you have your Dad close by so that you can work together on this project. My Dad is 92 and lives 6,000 miles from me right now. He works with me "virtually", (by eMail) as I describe to him my each and every move & wrench turn I make. Not the same as having him here, but we make the best of things.

Great looking truck! -- and keep checking the swap meet ads (on this site) for a set of wheels. They come up all the time.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
c125bob

Welcome ! Nice truck and a great project for you and your Dad. It's a good idea to leave it as is for a while and drive it a good bit before painting etc. You will learn a lot and you can enjoy it while doing so. I'm new to the Model A world as well. I can truthfully say that I have learned so much here that's helped me with my A. Folks here in the A world are good people and will help you get that truck rolling and looking fine.

Enjoy !!!
c125bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

Do you, or anyone, have any ideas or info about it's cab construction?? Bill W.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
29ModelA

Drive it as is for awhile and see what it needs. Personally I like the 16" wheels that are on it, I put a set on our car

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
Chris in WNC

don't start it again until you have dropped the oil pan & opened up the valve chamber so you can clean out whatever crud is in there. if there is none at least you will know for certain, but I doubt if it will be clean.

red wheels will look great, but PLEASE oh PLEASE do not put whitewall tires on it. they look just AWFUL on a Model A.

you and Dad are going to have FUN with this!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
visionary

Welcome aboard, i've always been partial to A pickups myself. i would get that one running good and just enjoy as is.
visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
red wheels will look great, but PLEASE oh PLEASE do not put whitewall tires on it. they look just AWFUL on a Model A.
<— They don't always look awful on a Model A!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
matt92vr4

Hi bill, the cab is made from wood. It's old, but certainly not original. They did a decent job. It's about 35 years old. I don't know anything more about that.

Thanks for the tip regarding the pan. I have not looked at it yet, do I use a gasket to reseal, or rtv?

These wheels look nice but the hubcaps have the v8 logo on them and my dad doesnt like that. Plus he really wants to put the spare in the fender and it looks like these wheels are too wide to fit it there. What do you think?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #14
Fred K-OR

Realize you have to keep Dad happy, but like everyone says, check it out, get it running and then drive it for awhile till you decide what else to do with it.

If your gas tank is rusty inside you may want to get some stuff from one of the vendors to clean the tank and maybe coat it with a liner to keep the rust from giving you problems. While you have it out is a good time to do this.

You can also get gaskets from the vendors for the pan, valve cover and any other part you may take off. If you want a list of vendors there is a list in one of the first posts on this forum. Have fun with your Dad and the truck.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #15
Jazzjr

Hi Matt, Nice Find, I'm Wintering here in Punta Gorda until May. I will PM You, if I can Help you out in any way, contact me as I am only about 1/2 hour from You, and my Wife loves the Venice Beaches. And Id rather work on Model A's, then waste time sitting at the Beach all day!!

Last edited by Jazzjr; 12-11-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
<— They don't always look awful on a Model A!
Yea they do
Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt92vr4 View Post
Thanks for the tip regarding the pan. I have not looked at it yet, do I use a gasket to reseal, or rtv?

?
Gaskets. Give Phane Jones a call at 1-772-335-0227 a vendor in Stuart Fl. or Jerry Isbell a vendor in Casselberry Fl at 1-407-695-8911 tell them Mike from the Fort Lauderdale club gave you their number. Either will not steer you wrong.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
matt92vr4

Thanks for all of the wonderful info! We will certainly enjoy this truck before we start to mess with it too much! My in-laws live in Altamonte Springs, so I think I'll be visiting Jerry Isbell soon! I'll keep this thread updated with pictures and progress.

I found an old withered wiring diagram in the truck with the name "Patsy S. Wynn" on the bottom and a phone number. The ink had faded and it is barely legible. Yesterday I figured "what the heck" and I called the number. To my pleasant surprise Patsy answered! Her and her husband have been into Model A's since the 1930's and used to make diagrams for people having electrical problems. They said the diagram was probably made in the late 60's or early 70's. They were very nice people and I'm sure some of you probably know them already. He still has a fully restored A.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #19
Al 29Tudor

Hi Matt,
Would love to meet you and your dad. I'm in Venice, just bought my first model A in February and have done quit a but of mechanical work on it in 10 months. I lean toward chris, #10, at least change the oil SOON.
Maybe Jazzjr from Punta Gorda can get together also.
Will send a privat message if I can figure out how.
Best of luck - what a great project for you and your dad.
Al
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt92vr4 View Post
Thanks for all of the wonderful info! We will certainly enjoy this truck before we start to mess with it too much! My in-laws live in Altamonte Springs, so I think I'll be visiting Jerry Isbell soon! I'll keep this thread updated with pictures and progress.

I found an old withered wiring diagram in the truck with the name "Patsy S. Wynn" on the bottom and a phone number. The ink had faded and it is barely legible. Yesterday I figured "what the heck" and I called the number. To my pleasant surprise Patsy answered! Her and her husband have been into Model A's since the 1930's and used to make diagrams for people having electrical problems. They said the diagram was probably made in the late 60's or early 70's. They were very nice people and I'm sure some of you probably know them already. He still has a fully restored A.
Matt,
A friend here in Ca. got a package from his dad in Washington, packed with 5 year old classified newspaper ads. Whoa! a Model A phaeton for sale! For kicks, he called, car never sold! Later on a trip to see his dad, he took a trailer and bought the car! Guess what? the owner never told him it was a RHD! Yep, he bought it, green with black fenders! He still has it. Finding car's history is FUN stuff!
I have lots of old pics of VERMIN, my Avatar coupe, but NO written history, just a little heresay info. I can concoct my own fascinating history!!
If Chief, my Dad & mentor, were here, he would tell your Dad, "Don't put your spare back on the L/H fender, it's in the way and you can't open the door very wide and it's hard to get at the engine on the left!"
On my first "A," a '28 pickup, I backed up with the window down, door open, clipped a small tree, pushing the door into the spare & broke my plate glass window!!!+*^$#%#@$ Fortunately, the door popped out well, with a little persuasion!! Bill W.