Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
700rpm

Default Another weird thing on the Coupe, part II

I earlier chronicled some of the strange things that the previous owners had done to my new Coupe, like putting the windshield wiper on backwards, having 4" of play in the clutch, wiring the taillight to the brake switch, and so on.

And this weekend, true to form, I found another head-scratcher. I was attempting to remove my speedometer cable for lubrication, but when I opened up the dash to unscrew the cable, I found it firmly glued into the speedo with something that looked like liquid nails. So of course the threaded part shattered when I tried to unscrew it, leaving half in the speedo, which I then had to remove, and then carefully chisel and tap the remaining threaded piece out.

I've worked on a lot of Model A's, but I've never seen so many screwball things on one vehicle (supposedly "restored").

But I still love the car, and of course working on them is why we buy them. Isn't it?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: Another weird thing on the Coupe, part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
... and of course working on them is why we buy them. Isn't it?
Don't forget the "excuse" to buy more tools!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
dave in australia

As my dad calls the 'experts', 'model A monkeys'. I've found my own share of 'brilliant' repairs in my time of owning model A's. I recentlty took my rear brake drums off to inspect the brakes and found that the hand brake offset links were on the wrong side of each other and that the person who fitted them had straightened out the offset to compensate. This was one of many screwball things on my tudor that I've found.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
George, Iowa

It would be great if we had a list of phone numbers to everyone who owned the car before us. It would be great to call them up and politily say, "What exactly was you thinking at this point?" I think we would all be surprised at the answers. Example: My wife just had twins and I had to fix it to get to the hospital. :-) Or I really am not a mechanic by trade...just tried to keep the car going.
George, Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
ursus

My 30 coupe needed a lot of work when I bought it, yet it was the most squeak- and rattle-free Model-A I had ever driven. It was later on the I discovered why. A previous owner had made dozens of carefully concealed spot-welds all over the car. Dismantling the car without damaging parts was a nightmare. What were they thinking?
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
My 30 coupe needed a lot of work when I bought it, yet it was the most squeak- and rattle-free Model-A I had ever driven. It was later on the I discovered why. A previous owner had made dozens of carefully concealed spot-welds all over the car. Dismantling the car without damaging parts was a nightmare. What were they thinking?
Fooled you for a while, eh?

I think that many of these "repairs" are well intentioned but not necessarily correct.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
SteveB31

The Model A Ford is one car that will still run and drive despite all the horrible things done to it over the years. Any other car would not even run.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
700rpm

When I took my speedo apart I discovered that the reason they used the liquid nails was because someone had cross-threaded and stripped the speedometer base where the cable goes in. There was just enough thread to hold it in place, but with the new cable the speedometer doesn't return to 0 (see my other thread about a peculiar speedo problem).

Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
Fred K-OR

Ray, sounds like my 29 coupe also. I "think" I have found most of the screwed up items on the rig. But I am sure there are more of them. It was "restored" by some guy about 5 years ago. The only thing I can say about it is that it has most of all the parts it should have on it even if they are installed the wrong way. But guess it keeps me out of the wife's hair and off the streets.

The latest thing I have not found out is why the spedo registers about 10mph over what it should when a person gets up to 30 or so. This should keep me busy for a little while. The spedo works but it just registers high.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Ray, sounds like my 29 coupe also. I "think" I have found most of the screwed up items on the rig. But I am sure there are more of them. It was "restored" by some guy about 5 years ago. The only thing I can say about it is that it has most of all the parts it should have on it even if they are installed the wrong way. But guess it keeps me out of the wife's hair and off the streets.

The latest thing I have not found out is why the spedo registers about 10mph over what it should when a person gets up to 30 or so. This should keep me busy for a little while. The spedo works but it just registers high.
I like your coupe, Fred. I hope we see it on tour next year.

You might have the wrong speedo gear on it. Or maybe your differential is a different ratio than stock.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I like your coupe, Fred. I hope we see it on tour next year.

You might have the wrong speedo gear on it. Or maybe your differential is a different ratio than stock.
This is what I kind of think is happening. I hope to get if put together enough to get it on a tour next year. I keep going on short trips around here going a little further each time. I messed up with it the other day when I went for a run and wanted to get the gas tank close to empty so I could fix the gas line. Well it does not run to good up hill when there is less than 1 gallon of gas in it-had to walk the last half mile home.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
Tinbasher

Many Cars are Repaired, but few are restored!! I heard this years ago from a Older friend. And another thought anything with-in a 1/4" is good!!!

The Old Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #13
Richard Wilson

Just know that they are all 80 plus year old USED cars. Not many of the former owners were as smart, as informed, as wealthy or as good looking as the current owners.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #14
jkeesey

I think Richard Wilson added my favorite post on this forum so far
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
gweilbaker

"Many Cars are Repaired, but few are restored!!"

As in "restored"- repaired is in the holder of the wrench. It has many meanings depending who you ask.

GW
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #16
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wilson View Post
Just know that they are all 80 plus year old USED cars. Not many of the former owners were as smart, as informed, as wealthy or as good looking as the current owners.
Nor did they weigh as much
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote