Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
Robert/Texas

Default Car Stopped Running

Yesterday afternoon I took my ’28 roadster for a drive. As I hadn’t driven it for a while, I checked the horn and the lights before I left. I got about a quarter mile and the engine shut down. It coasted downhill for a while and restarted so I turned around to go back home. I got almost there, and it stalled again. I pushed it home and into my workshop. I checked the 20-amp glass fuse and it was OK but no ignition, lights or horn. I’m thinking that it might be the foreign made ammeter that failed but will welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks, Robert
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
wmws
BANNED

Default Re: Car Stopped Running

I would start by actually testing the fuse not just looking at it. Also check the fuse holder. Start there with you multimeter or test light and trace from there until you run out of juice.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #3
old31

Do you have any spark at the points?

Check the coil lead against a head nut, turn on the key, you can hold the lead and push down on the starter rod at the same time from in the engine bay to see if you have a spark.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

My guess is the condenser . A modern style condenser can be connected to the coil bracket and connect the pig tail wire to the usually red switch side of the coil . This can be used for a test or full time . Some have argued that this won't work because the condenser must be close to the distributer . The coil is pretty close to the distributor and plenty close enough to the distributor for the condenser to be connected in this manner and work . I've run one of my model A's this way for years , Just a thought for an easy test . The modern style condenser will run cooler when mounted in the open and should last longer . When a modern style condenser is used in this manner it will be so much easier to remove and replace on the model A . .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #5
antiquepa

Check the fuse w/volt meter. Mine looked good but I Put in a new one. Same problem, so I checked that fuse and to my delight..it was no good, check one I took out , it was no good. Got new fuses and that wa my problem..I also had no lights or horn!!
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

Check your private messages, Robert.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:53 PM   #7
Sunnybrook Farm

Is your battery bolted in secure? Could be a connection there, I had one do strange things once.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #8
mass A man

Before you dig too deep, check your battery. This happened to me at a gas station 3 years ago. My cheapo Exide battery decided to short out between two of the cells at that moment, giving me the weakest little yellow spark at the plugs, not enough to run the engine.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:58 PM   #9
Fred K OR

Guess I would vote for a battery problem like mentioned above. May be just a bad connecting cable to the battery that does not contact.
Fred K OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:52 PM   #10
Tudortomnz

Was it the dreaded "foreign made ammeter" ??
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:20 AM   #11
DNLs1930

Why would you suspect the ammeter? Is this a common issue?

I also wonder why if the car is running should/would the generator output keep the car running? I'm pretty new to the Model A so not really sure about many things when it comes to the car and how it operates...

My ammeter only reads discharge but the batter never depletes so looking to replace it ASAP. I do think I need to adjust the generator but that is a task I'm still reading about; YIKES!

I see all the major parts suppliers carry what look to be similar products so any one ammeter better than the other?
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
Mulletwagon

Sounds like a loss of continuity. Checking for voltage with a multimeter at various places would be a first step.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:01 AM   #13
TerryO

I once had this problem and it was the fuse holder...

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:54 AM   #14
Roxo

I suspect a bad connection somewhere. He got it running a second time. If the fuse blew or the ammeter failed would it start up again?
I would check my connections from the Battery on out. A sudden surge could have blown the fuse the second time the car died, so I would use my multimeter to check it.
I deal with this often with old jukeboxes and radio's, work one minute but not the next. Take your time and check all connections and grounds. Don't forget the ignition switch and ammeter connections.
Good luck
Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #15
Robert/Texas

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I’m in Houston now for a few days (medical reasons) but hope to be able to get back to the where my old Fords are soon.

What I should have mentioned before is that after I pushed the car to the front of my driveway, I then backed it around, into the driveway using the starter as my street is gravel and it’s hard to push a car on it. After that, I checked the battery voltage with my multimeter, and it registered 6.25 volts. I charged it overnight with my maintenance charger and it then registered at 6.28 volts. This is a 4-month old wet cell battery.

The glass fuse looked good, but I also checked the fuse holder with my multimeter and got 6+ volts on both sides of it. As I mentioned before, everything else is dead, horn, head/taillights and ignition.

When I get back, I’ll begin checking at the terminal box and the ammeter. There might be a loose or corroded connection some place, but I still suspect the ammeter. I don’t think it’s the condenser, but I’ll check for that anyway. I’ve replaced bad condensers in the past but don’t remember that they caused the horn and lights to fail.

Thanks again and I’ll get back to report on it as soon as I can.
Robert
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #16
tinkirk

if you have no horn you have no power to the or from the fuse
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #17
Conaway2

Can you show us a picture of the engine wiring on the driver’s side ?
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:21 PM   #18
tinkirk

look on Snyder catalog they have a wiring schematic they sell
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #19
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...I have had the experience of an engine starting and stopping going down the road on a car that had not run for a while. It had what looked like a cheep fuse holder and when I attempted to wiggle it and rotate it at the rivet, it moved. I took it off and wired it like Henry did and it started and ran fine. I went down to Arizona Model A and purchased a new fuse holder that was much heavier metal and did not rotate at the rivet. I installed it and the owner let me know that all is well. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:18 PM   #20
mass A man

You may want to do this; Make a small 90 degree angle bracket with 3 holes; one for the toggle switch and two for the existing terminal box mounting screws that hold the bracket. Install the switch and "SPADE" fuse in series with your heavy yellow battery wire up through the terminal box. You'll need only some terminal clips, spade fuse pigtail and a simple SPST switch, all found at local auto parts store. Note, this gizmo does NOT kill power to the starter, but car will not start, no horn, lights, etc.. unless switch is thrown to "ON". This photo is shown from inside cab, at rear of terminal box, the spade fuse with rubber covering and switch in off position. These fuses are commonly found at most stores these days whereas the glass "Littlefuse" 's are disappearing from shelves.

Last edited by mass A man; 08-15-2022 at 03:52 PM.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote