Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
larry/Texas

Default Mac's Poor Customer Service????????

I just purchased a set of clutch and brake peddle pads PN 40-2454 from Mac's and find they do not fit. My peddles have a 7/16" hole and they sent them with 1/2" studs. They will not credit me with the freight because going back and listening to the recording of my phone call the salesman, Larry W. apparently said to me they were 1/2". I do not remember that that part of the conversation. The peddles the pads go on are origional to my '33 ford which, I have owned since 1960.

Just because they say they told me 1/2" it is my fault the parts are wrong. Their catalog is wrong because it does not says 1/2" studs, only that they fit 33-36 passenger & pickup and my car is in that catagory. I recently wrote a favorable comment on how they handled another issue where the part was not the size they said it was but never again. I will now do my purchases somewhere else and agree with others on here that Mac's is no longer on my acceptable vendor list. As I told Kailey (SP) I was about to purchase brakes for over $200.00 but will look elsewhere. These two pads were only $22.40. I think their catalog listing is false advertising.

Thanks for letting me vent. I hope I save someone else a problem.
larry/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Lawrie

Default Re: Mac's Poor Customer Service????????

I had a bit of trouble getting the right ones for my 33, I ordered the ones from the supliers cat(not the same supplier as you) and they were not the same.
Ended up using the 32 ones I think,they had the raised cross on them underneath were they engage on the pedals.
Look at the pics in their cat and match them up with what you have on your car.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
roadstar

The service has been pretty good actally, but they do have a lot of wrong parts and parts that don't fit.

They have been fair with returns mostly.

Hope you can resolve your problems.
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Bruce/CT

Larry,
My policy on these types of issues is to give the lower level person a chance BUT if not satisfied INSIST on a manager. Fairly and ACCURATELY tell the manager the situatiuon and ask them politely to make it right. Often will work as the manager is in the position to make decisions.
Good luck
Bruce
Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
mrtexas

The only problem with buying from another retailer is that the supplier of the item may be the same.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Bassman/NZ

I'll play devil's advocate..... I think we're extremely lucky to be able to get any new parts for our 80 year old cars at all. Drill the holes out, it's only 1/16" and no-one's gonna take your pads off and measure the holes and say.... you've ruined this car.
You should try living overseas, as I do, then you'll realise how lucky you guys in the US are.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
WRA

Dont know of anyone that pays for shipping on returns. Ive returned a few things and shipping is on me.

Macs isnt bad. Some of thier stuff is very poor Chi-Com quality. Chrome doesnt seem to last and rubber cracks within months. Last return was a cracked mirror. Also a chrome handle that was flaking. Also a battery box that came apart for bad spot welds. I bet I spend at least $1k per year at Macs. 99% of the stuff is fine.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
bedfordboys24523

I will not be shopping there any more. In my last order I ordered two wheel studs and two head light stand bolts. They sent me two studs and two more studs in the bolt package, called them up and they told me that it is impossible because the parts are prepackaged before they get them. Buddy I assure it is not impossible cause I can see it with my own eyes. Along with the condensor and water pump pulley that did not show up in my box, Plus the shipping takes a long time.
bedfordboys24523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Shadetree

I broke a new high dollar temp guage for my `35 from Mac's trying to install it. Sent it back and they sent me a new one with no argument. I shudder when I see the parts made in China but most likely it is all that is available. Overall I have been pleased with Mac's over the last five years.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:12 AM   #10
46ford

I always expect to pay shipping when I return something. Ironically, usually if I get an item (like the wrong headgaskets I just got - my fault) and it's not real expensive I will keep it around so I can help someone else out.

Had good luck with Mac's, but I always pay the $3.50 to get it pulled and shipped same day.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #11
JWL
Member Emeritus

First, the customer should know what he wants and needs before ordering. Second, when the customer buys the wrong part, it is completely reasonable to expect that cuctomer to pay return shipping.

My interpretation of the Green Book is that the 33 models have a mixture of 7/16.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
Butch11443

Why not just run a 7/16 die on the brake pads??
Butch
Butch11443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
alchemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
My interpretation of the Green Book is that the 33 models have a mixture of 7/16.
I seem to remember reading something about this as well. Maybe the stud size changed mid-year?

If so, it still doesn't excuse the poor response you got from Mac's. It's been a year since I've ordered anything from them, but I hope the bad press they've gotten lately isn't descriptive of all their service.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
Mike51Merc

Mostly good experiences with Mac's, except for some slowdowns in their deliveries a couple of months ago, which they seem to have fixed.

That said, if the guy told you they were 1/2" and you ordered them, why should they eat the cost of the return shipping?

It's one thing if they send the wrong parts, it's entirely different if you order the wrong parts.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
HOTROD_WILLIE

I alway used Macs and had great service. This stuff happens we move on. Easy to put someone down on the internate. I hope this get Thread gets removed. Go MACS
HOTROD_WILLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #16
Jthepburn76

I also have not had any trouble with Mac's. Actually been pretty pleased with everything I've ordered from them.

Sorry about your bad experience but it seems to be an isolated incident and not the norm from them.
Jthepburn76 is offline   Reply With Quote