Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #21
DougVieyra

Default insomniacshotrods - Motometer Wings

insomniacshotrods - aside from the optional side-opening of the water cap (I assumed you quickly 'slapped' it on your car for the photo to help demonstrate your point), I believe you DO have the correct mounting of the Winged Ornament. The way you have it is the way I have always seen it on cars. Following both convention and my own sense of 'how it should be done' - I installed my just like yours. Like a real birds wings (eagle or otherwise) the thick part is the 'leading edge' (as in an areoplane wing) - the foreward-most part, leading to the 'trailing edge' at the rear of the wing, thinning down as it goes. So the thin edge should be towards the car's windshield. Ofcourse the feathers are up.

I realize that there are always going to be people who like to personalize their toys, lord knows I do - so up-side-down, backwards, painted, brass, chrome, nickle - it really only matters to the rooster who is 'struttin' his stuff'.

To continue with my own personalizing, after a stint with the 'Wings', I came to think that I they over-stated the cap - I began to think that they were a bit too much 'Clutter', and removed them. getting back to just a Motor Meter. Later I removed even the MotorMeter, and remained with just a plain stock 'Eaton' radiator cap. So I transcended gaudy and returned to 'chaste'. It is called 'evolution'. Or perhaps, 'Getting Old'.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 10-24-2013 at 01:25 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #22
CarlG

Default Re: Motometer Wings

I had a quail on my PU, but when I put a different radiator on it, went back to the plain jane Eaton cap. I actually think it looks better. I still have the quail if I ever want, but for now it's just the plain ol cap.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

I have the wings and a repro quail, but use just a plain old beat up cap, because there is much less chance of someone stealing it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #24
A TRUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezixx View Post
That looks very proper A TRUCK but we cannot tell from the picture which direction the wingtips face.

Did you elect to place them to the rear (considered backwards by some) or to the front (considered backwards by others)?

Here's another Model A, maybe you can see this one better - tips of the wings face forward.
A TRUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #25
insomniacshotrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I have the wings and a repro quail, but use just a plain old beat up cap, because there is much less chance of someone stealing it.
Thats why i got a locking cap,so i wouldnt have to worry as much if i have it at a car show, and want to go off looking. The cap itself lead to a problem. With a gasket it wouldnt go all the way to the back side like i thought it should. Which would lead to it opening onto the hood. It was a 1/4 inch shy of going on backside which kept hood side from opening. So i settled there on the side and it looks wrong but it turns 1/4 inch to unlock and flips open. Giving enough wing clearance to get full access to rad for filling. Gonna play around with it some more and see if i cant get it to the back side later.
insomniacshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote