Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2016, 10:10 PM   #1
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard
Default Where did you put yours?

Seeing that driving in the snow video reminded me that I still have a brody knob to put on my steering wheel.

Where did you put yours when the wheel is straight in the X position?

Since I haven't had one installed in more than 40 years, I'd like to know.
'28 left brake ccPickup
'31 SW Town Sedan
'28 AA Stake Bed
'30 Cabriolet
'42 Super Deluxe 4door Sedan

"If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer.
If it breaks...... ya needed a new one anyway!!"

Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit.
It gives you a warm feeling, but nobody notices.

Never pass up a bathroom
Never neglect an erection
Never trust a fart
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Where did you put yours?

You might check to see if they are legal in your state
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
WestCoast

sitting behind the wheel I put mine at one oclock,, if the clamp around the wheel rim gets loose it will put a deep grove in the rim, keep it tight
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:52 PM   #4
DaWizard
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
You might check to see if they are legal in your state
HAHAHA!! I'm in California, NOTHING is legal here. Would you believe there is a California Vehicle Code that states "nothing on the car can be changed from original"?

That may not be verbatim, but it does say you can't modify the car, including tire size!
Old 12-23-2016, 10:57 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWizard View Post
HAHAHA!! I'm in California, NOTHING is legal here. Would you believe there is a California Vehicle Code that states "nothing on the car can be changed from original"?

That may not be verbatim, but it does say you can't modify the car, including tire size!
I wish states would have and enforce a law that anything can't be noisier than when it left the factory. In MN it seems every pickup and Harley is in competition to see who can be the loudest.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:48 PM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

They are a dangerous toy that should be left in the garage, Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:12 AM   #7
DougVieyra

Choice of location of the 'brody' knob has much to do with whether you are left or right handed. 10 O'clock for lefties like me, and 2 O'clock for wrong handed people. Be mindful that you REALLY want it clamped down on your steering wheel. Once taken off you will see the imprint and marks left by the clamp.

And don't forget - if you do come to California - bring a PassPort, and have your shots. It IS a foreign country !
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:15 AM   #8
DaWizard
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Choice of location of the 'brody' knob has much to do with whether you are left or right handed. 10 O'clock for lefties like me, and 2 O'clock for wrong handed people. Be mindful that you REALLY want it clamped down on your steering wheel. Once taken off you will see the imprint and marks left by the clamp.

And don't forget - if you do come to California - bring a PassPort, and have your shots. It IS a foreign country !
Indeed !
Old 12-24-2016, 01:14 AM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Heard it referred to by old timers as a "Suicide Knob" because some driver's long sleeve shirts or long sleeve jackets would get hooked on it at times when turning the steering wheel.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 12-24-2016 at 01:15 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:47 AM   #10
Nathan_1929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I wish states would have and enforce a law that anything can't be noisier than when it left the factory. In MN it seems every pickup and Harley is in competition to see who can be the loudest.
Without totally derailing the thread and starting a political debate:

There is a segment of motorcyclists that swear that "loud pipes save lives." I just don't buy it, though. In California, where lane splitting is legal, I don't really hear an upcoming motorcycle until it's already entered "the danger zone." If I were absent minded and decided to switch lanes by sound alone, I don't think the aftermarket pipes would save any lives.

Mind you, I myself am an avid motorcyclist and split lanes every single day, everywhere I go. I have the stock pipes on my vintage BMW.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:17 AM   #11
DougVieyra

Cauvin, post #8 - "Heard it referred to by old timers as a "Suicide Knob" because some driver's long sleeve shirts or long sleeve jackets would get hooked on it at times when turning the steering wheel."
----------------------------

Yes, Cauvin, that is quite right - well almost right. While my generation called the knob by both names, it was mostly called a "suicide' knob. However, I do take issue with your reference to those people as being 'old timers'.

At 75, I hardly call myself an 'old timer'.

But perhaps you are referring to the generation before my time.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:19 AM   #12
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Doug,

It was 1958 when I got my first Model A with a "Suicide Knob".

My Dad was only 56 back then because he was born in 1902 .... at 56 I considered him to be a youngster in 1958 even though he would be 114 if he were living today.

Now the old timer who referred to this item as a "Suicide Knob", was well over 75 in 1958, which meant he was born before about 1883, along our Riparian Lands, during paddle wheel steamboat traveling days, & even prior to our having trains nearby ..... not to mention prior to having cars. He would be 133 if living today.

So theoretically, since you are not 133 yet, and you never received a Bill of Lading for merchandise bought from either the Natchez Steamer, or the Robert E. Lee Steamer, it would not be proper to call you an old timer when you are still young like me.

Just simple math, or rather arithmetics for us! LOL

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 12-24-2016 at 03:21 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:40 AM   #13
somethingspecial

Yes ,suicide knob , my 28 special coupe came with one, took it off, didn't like it and the impression is still in the original red steering wheel. Think about it before mounting it . Will not put back on!
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:59 AM   #14
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

[[/B]
Quote:

Easy solution! If you dislike it that much, move! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #15
mountstimothy0

In Indiana if your car didn't have seat belts you can keep it that way you can even register license plates that match the year of the car ie 35 car 35 plates

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk
mountstimothy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:40 PM   #16
mountstimothy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Heard it referred to by old timers as a "Suicide Knob" because some driver's long sleeve shirts or long sleeve jackets would get hooked on it at times when turning the steering wheel.
Also known to break your arm on its return to straight. But I still like em
Quote:

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk
mountstimothy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:35 PM   #17
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Over the years I have heard a Brodie Knob referred to many names, Suicide Knob, Neckers Knob, Girlie Knob ((with a necked chick in it ) and Spinner. I am sure there was more but I can't recall any more...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #18
Marshall V. Daut

"I wish states would have and enforce a law that anything can't be noisier than when it left the factory. In MN it seems every pickup and Harley is in competition to see who can be the loudest."

Would you even notice losers in life like this if they didn't call attention to themselves in such a crude way? They know that, too, so this is the only way they have to make themselves seen by a world that daily ignores them. These are the same type of people who haven't cut their lawns in two months or replaced lost shingles from their roofs in the last three years. Too expensive! But, by gawd, they have money for loud glass pack mufflers!!!
When I lived in Phoenix, I resented the state's bi-yearly vehicle inspection law for emissions and mufflers, as well as other obvious safety violations. Since I moved back to Iowa, however, I PRAY that this state will someday institute such a requirement so that the zeroes around here driving with no mufflers or seriously impaired ones will be FORCED to retro-fit their rusted out junk cars with factory style livable decibel level mufflers. 'Might also be a good idea not to drive on the spare tire for six months before it, too, blows out. And hey! Replacing a broken windshield shouldn't need to be required! Maybe even replace that burned out/smashed out headlight, eh? Nope, not around here! 'Getting REAL old...
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Suicide knobs puts extra stress on the collumn to tank support joint if your not using the late 31 style..watch your collumn when ya wacking the wheel around using the knob..., your better off steering with two hands which keeps even pressure.. they work better on a car with p/s.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-24-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #20
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
"I wish states would have and enforce a law that anything can't be noisier than when it left the factory. In MN it seems every pickup and Harley is in competition to see who can be the loudest."

Would you even notice losers in life like this if they didn't call attention to themselves in such a crude way?
https://vimeo.com/15758959