Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #21
bettlesr

Default Re: Electronic Points

I also have an FSI igniton system. Mel told me the burnout proof module is effected by the ignition noise from the Model A plugs and wiring so they had to revert to the module that is sensitive to being left on without the engine running. As I have a full pressure oiling system, I have an oil pressure switch that feeds the ignition. Engine not running , the ignition is shut off. I also have a VW diesel glow plug timing paralling the oil pressure switch module set to 20 seconds so I can start the engine before the oil pressure is up.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:32 PM   #22
AL in NY

Dave in MN: I bought one of the first FSI Zipper Distributors back in 3/08 with the Pertronix's ignition module installed. That summer, while working on my truck, I left the ignition on overnight. There was no harm to the module, which is still in my truck, 11,000 miles later. Don't know for sure if it is the third generation module or not, but I guess Mel at FSI could tell us.......................
Old 12-13-2016, 08:23 PM   #23
steve s

I installed a Pertronix unit about 15 years ago. Since then, I've never had to take my turn at roadside point/timing repairs, as so many of my fellow club members have. Nor have I had to replace a failing condenser.

Also, I have consistently required 1-2 gallons less fuel to fill up my tank than anyone else in any of our club tours. This happy surprise first became evident on a trip four of our club A's made from Michigan to the MARC meet in Williamsburg; you can cheat on completely topping off once or twice, but NOT every time the group stops for gas. We were all four driving the same F-150 overdrive transmissions, and going the same speed (as a group). My good fortune has always been one of our club mysteries, but lately I've been wondering if it could be due to the ignition. I also run a Brumfield 5.9 CR head, but it's not the only one in the club, and many run the Snyders 5.5 head.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #24
bikejunk

I like the electronic ignition, abs brakes and air conditioning in my 2006 GMC. But I really love the rod brakes,6 volt,manual spark,non-syncro trany that is my model A ford--but that's just me I guess.....
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:17 PM   #25
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
Dave in MN: I bought one of the first FSI Zipper Distributors back in 3/08 with the Pertronix's ignition module installed. That summer, while working on my truck, I left the ignition on overnight. There was no harm to the module, which is still in my truck, 11,000 miles later. Don't know for sure if it is the third generation module or not, but I guess Mel at FSI could tell us.......................
Thanks Al for the reply. I have had good results also in my touring car. I have had my system installed, trouble free, for about 14 years.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #26
CarlG

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I am just starting my journey. I now have about 1,500 miles on my FSI Zipper. So far, so good.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #27
1930-fordor

I like the old basic points and tinkering.
But I left my key on, and cooked my coil.
So never leave the key on for either.
1930-fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:37 AM   #28
Chuck Sea/Tac

To each there own!
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #29
denis4x4

Been using the Per-Lux Ignitor/Petronix in boats and classic cars for 30 years. The only failure was self inflicted. FYI, Ignitors were installed at the Ford factory on a run of F-150 trucks for Ryder Rentals before Ford offered electronic ignitions as standard equipment.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #30
Dollar Bill

The previous owner installed electronic ignition (12 volt) on my 31 Roadster and I simply love it. It also has centrifugal advance. If it ever gives me trouble, I will replace it with the FSI Zipper for the original appearance.

One sure way to prevent module failure is purchase a spare to carry along with you.��
Old 12-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #31
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Bill View Post
One sure way to prevent ... failure is purchase a spare to carry along with you.��
[Not Model A] Years ago on another car I had, this one part kept breaking. Even though it was a fairly inexpensive part, the only place you could get it was at the dealer. Every time it broke, I'd go buy one and replace it. After the 3rd or 4th time, I bought 2 of them, replaced the broken one, put the other one in my tool box.

I think I still have that part somewhere, as it never broke again.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #32
Jim M

Been reading all these posts and I want to stay with original set up. That said the key seems to be "quality points". I have just had a battle with my points and don't know it they are quality or not but want to change them so I am sure. Question is 1. How do you know the difference between "quality" and "junk" just by looking at them and 2. Who sells the best "quality" points? Anxiously waiting to order two sets.
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #33
JohnLaVoy

we've used they since 2008 when we installed them for the Texas national convention of MARC and MAFCA. They have worked great. They did try a module that was suppose to be able to be left on and not burn out but there were problems with that one but the one that is on the car has worked trouble free for year. The comment on ground being important is very true you need a good ground for them to operate correctly. Faulty ground drives the amperage up and causes the failures.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote