Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #21
flatford39

Default Re: Gas under $1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyv8 View Post
Probably right about the prices and the fracking, but the lavish life styles of running a country and being a Saudi prince/s and the like is based on an oil price much higher than $30 a barrel.
I thought I read somewhere that around $28 was break even price...
Your right about the $28.00 break even cost. The oil cartel won't let it go lower than that. What they are doing now is essentially breaking the backs of the FRACKERS and can go on along time like this without disrupting their collective lifestyles. They give two sh$%^ about the people in their countries and have plenty of money and access to more.

Take advantage while you can but it is going to change in the near future. After all it's all about making money isn't it.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:47 PM   #22
glenn in camino

In late 1966, I bought a new 1967 Mustang GT fastback. When I left the dealer, I stopped at a nearby gas station and filled the tank. Gas was 35 cents per gallon, and the fill up cost about $7.00. I remember thinking I hope I will be able to afford to drive this car. I kept it for 3 years, and traded it for a new 71 Torino fastback with a 351 Clevland V8. Gas mileage wasn't important then. Wish I still had them both today.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:22 AM   #23
WRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyv8 View Post
Yes CA was well out of tune with the rest of the country when it came to gas prices especially compared to the east coast.
I figure it is still similar today, who can afford to live in CA with more than one car...
California also has very high gas taxes per gallon. Depending on the location, it can be as much as a $1 per gallon, .80 per gallon seems standard.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:34 AM   #24
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRA View Post
California also has very high gas taxes per gallon. Depending on the location, it can be as much as a $1 per gallon, .80 per gallon seems standard.
IF the taxes collected on fuel are actually ALL used for infrastructure, I have no problem with that.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:51 AM   #25
reggiedog

I hope it goes down to .50 a gal as I remember it as a kid
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #26
J Witt

Just filled up the Honda this afternoon for $1.48. Haven't seen that level for awhile! (Atlanta area).
Old 01-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #27
az58cameo

Just asking here, Is this a Calm before the STORM?
Seams to me gas prices go down during an election year and then were in for Holy
H$LL after!

Just saying,
Allen
az58cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:20 AM   #28
reggiedog

You got that right as always the prices will go sky high after and the thing is most of it go's in someones pocket that's what makes me mad just like what they do with the S/S system there putting that out of business because of it.

Try living on just that if you figure out what you get for a month it's less then what the min wage is.
But maybe not in all states but it sure is in my state

Last edited by reggiedog; 01-21-2016 at 08:26 AM.
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #29
bobpo1

As I recall, my Dad drove us into Seneca, Missouri from Oklahoma and a billboard read, "Welcome to Missouri Where Gas is Cheaper at 17 cents per gallon". Believed to be in the early 50's.
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #30
old car guy

Smile Re: Gas under $1

Best price I can remember was 1971 gas wars in Tampa fl and regular was down to 17 cents and high test was 20 a gallon . I had a Boss 429 mustang and was using Sunaco gas which had a pump you could dial. Up the octane that you wanted and I was using 260 octane and it was 27 cents a gallon. Those were the days and with all of the lead that's was in the gas with the high octane that Boss motor really could be heard from quite a distance .
Old 01-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #31
Not George

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Too cheap is not good for the US economy either, although it sure feels good when at the gas station! Its going to cost a lot of people their jobs in the oil fields. The trouble is, its a false low. Prices below cost of production are not good for any industry long term. On the flip side, excessive profits are not good for an industry either. Markets will sort themselves out eventually if allowed to. Farmers go through this type of market swing, although it has gotten better due to long term contracting.
It cost me my job a week ago. Not sure if I will be able to find another.

I worked at a company that supplied the mining industry for over 100 years, you could see the work in the shop disappearing. Four years ago, we had more than enough work, now the guys who didn't lose their jobs are doing busy work.
The work force has been reduced by 70%.

Great gas prices though! My best friend is ecstatic about them and can hardly quit talking about it.
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #32
burner31

I think gas will stay low for a long while this time, the world is awash in oil.
Saudi Arabia has gotten itself between a rock and a hard place, it's trying to shut down American producers like it did in the '80's, and then raise prices once that is done, won't work this time. Prices go up and American frackers kick in again, America has been sharing the fracking technology with other Countries so now it's not Saudi Arabia against America, it's now Saudi Arabia against the World.
Saudi Arabia can no longer price fix the World oil prices, they have screwed themselves by not investing the money they have gouged from the American/World consumer back into their economy, instead building new palaces and buying toy's for themselves.
This oil price fixing garbage started with Nixon...but this is not the place too talk about that.
Enjoy the low prices...Sorry about your job, as always, it will work out.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #33
fiftyv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by old car guy View Post
Best price I can remember was 1971 gas wars in Tampa fl and regular was down to 17 cents and high test was 20 a gallon . I had a Boss 429 mustang and was using Sunaco gas which had a pump you could dial. Up the octane that you wanted and I was using 260 octane and it was 27 cents a gallon. Those were the days and with all of the lead that's was in the gas with the high octane that Boss motor really could be heard from quite a distance .
Low octane, is that like watering down the beer???
No wonder gas is cheaper now!!!
Less bang for your buck...
fiftyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote