Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2022, 10:12 PM   #1
jeepguy1948

Default what clutch disc?

I just installed a V8 clutch in my RPU (with a re surfaced flywheel) the dam thing chatters which I cannot tolerate. I read somewhere that the is/was more than 1 disc used depending if it was in a car or a truck (i assume they mean a BB truck not a pickup). If a heavy duty clutch is used in can cause it to chatter. I don't know what disc I installed because because it came in a kit and I did not know that there were different ones available. If I knew what to look for I could possibly see it through the inspection hole on top of the bellhousing. Any help appreciated. Thanks
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:16 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: what clutch disc?

'28, does this chattering happen in the forward gears or reverse (or both)? Have you checked your engine mounts especially the "finger" on the clam shell that hooks on the cross member?
Old 05-26-2022, 10:20 PM   #3
J Franklin

I doubt the kit is the problem. Was the alignment checked? Was the install sanitary and everything kept squeaky clean? Was the flywheel surface washed of any oils? These are the things that lead to chatter.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:35 AM   #4
jeepguy1948

Yes
Old 05-27-2022, 10:42 AM   #5
jeepguy1948

I need to point out that nothing that I can think of was changed other than the clutch and flywheel. I have been around the block, this is not my first rodeo. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the "finger" mine does not have one and I have been told that they were discontinued at some point (this would be supported by the fact that my bearing retainer doesn't have one. I want to say one more time, nothing else was changed and I followed all the protocols for a proper install. I checked the crankshaft flange for true and then I checked the flywheel for true.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:44 AM   #6
Oldgearz

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Mayb.e try to clean things with brake cleaner through the inspection opening
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:56 AM   #7
katy

You could try "seating" the clutch. W/vehicle stopped, park brake on, put transmission in high gear, let clutch out slowly while adding power and slip the clutch a bit. The go for a drive.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:05 PM   #8
Sunny the Model A

Good idea Katy, just be careful not to overdo it, no need to get it to smoke, just for a few seconds. might just need some break in time.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:08 PM   #9
Mulletwagon

The previous owner of my 31 installed a V-8 clutch which had the heavy duty truck disk. It chattered badly and no adjustments helped. I changed out the disk for a standard duty unit which resulted in zero chatter. Can't explain why the truck unit chattered - maybe very hard material that was just not compatible with the V-8 parts.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:31 AM   #10
rotorwrench

Some of these 9-inch long type reproductions are not near the quality of the original units. The Ford tractors also used the 9-inch Long type clutch and the reproductions made for them are just not up to standards in my book. They have no finger adjustment and no centrifugal flyweights.

The original Ford Long type 9-inch clutch cover has adjustable fingers and the flyweights. These can be rebuilt and when properly adjusted are a very good clutch cover. This application also includes the OEM type disc which can also be rebuilt to original specs for passenger car use. I prefer the original equipment myself. The 8N tractor clutch reproductions are crap.

The trucks used the 11-inch clutch beginning in 1935 so they had a different assembly altogether. The 9-inch clutches went through several changes after 1935 which culminate in the 11A-7550 disc with woven linings where the earlier ones had moulded facings. A lot has changed since 1941 though so no telling what you will find in the modern era.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-29-2022 at 10:53 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:03 AM   #11
jeepguy1948

Thank you to all for your input. Mullet, thank you that is the information that I remembered having read somewhere. I would be interested in hearing opinions about that "finger" or "hook" that is on the bearing retainer on the back of the transmission and rests on the crossmember. They were being used when the first Model As rolled and by the end of 31 they were gone. What were they supposed to do? My Model A came to me with the Moto mounts on it including the what that replaces the finger. Should I leave it on or take it off?
Old 05-29-2022, 11:05 AM   #12
jeepguy1948

If someone could provide a part number for the lightweight disc I would appreciate it. and if that could be provided for the best cover/pressure plat that would be great also. Thanks
Old 05-29-2022, 12:29 PM   #13
Tom Endy

The attached article may help. The Bratton clutch disc is the only one I would put in a Model A. We installed a V-8 pressure plate in my grandson's 1930 Tudor and used the Bratton disc. It worked fine.

Tom Endy

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...ch-Failure.pdf
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote