Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
Mainiac96

Default 31 CCPU splash shield replacement

I just ordered a set of running board splash shield replacements as I'm doing some fender repair and running board replacement anyway. After getting under and looking, it appears I might have a large project coming. Does the cab have to be lifted off the frame to replace the shields? I was hoping to be using the truck this summer but this looks like a case of "the more you dig, the deeper the hole" :-)

thanks Mike in Maine
Mainiac96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: 31 CCPU splash shield replacement

I haven't had to do this but, you shouldn't have to "remove" the body. You should be able to "lift" one side at a time and "slip" the new ones in. Others will follow with the same or better advice.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
Mainiac96

that's what I'm hoping.. The new shields haven't arrived yet so I don't have much to go by. Hopefully someone here on the forum that's "been there" can give me a clue which bolts I need to attack and which one can be left alone. thanks Mike
Old 05-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
Gunmetal blue2

you have to take the rear fenders off. take body bolts out. so you need to find where all your body bolts are located, remove the hood and support rods. the fun will be to keep the body in place and make sure your frame welt is replaced or kept in place. If you put new your going to have to drill through welt to get body bolts through it. When removing the nuts and lock washers at first I would leave the bolts were they are. It is more then a one man operation. Make sure you have the car blocked so it don't move. When you get the body up that it is blocked good. depending on what kind of A you have there is bolts that hold the rear bumper brackets on to the body. I would take floor boards out. disconnect the steering wheel support on the gas tank on inside of body. You now that you my have body shims on the frame to deal with. Good luck and welcome to the Ford Barn. Sorry I done this in 1970 and I was only 15 years old then. So my mind isn't as good as it used to be lol.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
Mainiac96

It's a Budd cab wide body pickup with dual sidemounts. At this point I was only replacing the passenger side. The rust is minimal but there was collision damage from many years ago not fixed well and with lots of filler so I thought I would repair it a little better and paint it well enough to use and get the bugs out. If I really feel ambitious next winter I may totally disassemble it and do the job right. My goal is to have a dependable, pleasant to look at but nothing to worry about Model A truck.. so I am hoping to be able to lift the cab just enough to get the old shield out on that side and get the new one back in for now. My hammer and dolly skills (and ambition) aren't great enough to straighten what I found under the 1/4" of bondo!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #6
Gunmetal blue2

I don't know about 30 31 but mine has two carriage bolts with nuts that hold the splash apron to the frame. I will see if I can find you a pics.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
Gunmetal blue2

I found my pics but it won't let me upload it. send me and e-mail at [email protected] and I will send you the pics.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:59 PM   #8
Darren Fixit

May i ask what is the difference between the splash apron and the running board shield?
Darren Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:44 PM   #9
midgetracer

Different names for the same parts
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote