Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
warren va

Question Seat belts install. instructions for 40 conv

What is the procedure for installing front and back belts. Some pictures and or drawings would be appreciated.

Thanks

Warren
warren va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
supereal

Default Re: Seat belts install. instructions for 40 conv

Slip the anchor ends between the seat and its back. Roll back the rear mat and choose a place that will allow the belt to extend straight down to the floor pan. Drill holes in the pan for the bolts. Don't mount the belts to the frame because in a crash, the body may separate from the frame causing the belts to become tight enough to cause injury. Place a large "fender washer" under the floor pan and over the bolt, and tighten firmly. Belts are always a good idea, and imperative in open cars. Buy the best belts you can find. That is no place to pinch pennies.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

Rather than a fender washer I would opt for about a 6"x6" 1/4" thick piece of steel. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
warren va

Thanks for the replies.
Paul;
Would you use the 6x6 plate on top also or just the bottom side with flat washer on top ?Are we talking about floppy or non retractile belts, and if the latter, should there be two separate anchor bolts for each set of belt? How far apart should the anchors be for each set? Anyone have any pictures or drawings of an installation?

Thanks
Warren

Last edited by warren va; 09-24-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

When I installed belts in my 32 in 61 I just put the plate under the floor, on top a large washer then the belt assy, about the distance apart that I was wide.
Paul
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Dec211975

Here is a link to an article from Julianos on how to put a three point lap belt in a 40 ford. http://www.julianos.com/how2_40ford.html

Regards,

Brian
Dec211975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:02 PM   #7
Tinker

I can not comment on the procedure in this specific install, nor do I have pictures.

The bigger the plate to the floorboard the better. It helps to insure that it doesn't pull through the floor. The floor is around 18 gauge. The larger the area of the plate, the better it will hold. Not very scientific but practical thinking. Surface tension.

3 point if your able, would be suggested by me. Laps for cosmetic reasons okay. Something is better then nothing. But your asking so you already know that. Commend you on your idea to do so.

Last edited by Tinker; 09-25-2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Auto spell malfunction
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
Drbrown

warren va: You asked for opinions about retractable vs. non-retractable. Retractable's are best for keeping the belts out of the way but if you have a coupe or tudor inspect the style of the belt to be sure which ever style belt will not hinder people entering or leaving the back-seat area (not a concern with a 4-door). Incidentally, and based on my experience with my '47 sedan coupe, if you use three-point belts for the front seat you may install the pillar anchor of the belt by removing the interior rear window frame and peeling-back the fabric upholstery on the pillar. I attached mine just below the pillar light fixtures and handles.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
warren va

Thanks all for your help.
Julianos really has a great selection of seat belts and installation hardware on their website.
Since I have a rag top, will likely have to go with lap belts. I see Julianos sells a clip on type retractable roller to keep the outer long belt from falling in the floor when not in use.Hate to drill all those holes in the rear floor and carpet,but the safety feature will be worth it.

Thanks again;

Warren