Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2021, 11:47 PM   #1
bdtutton

Default Brass Touring tops and side curtains

Hello,
I want to buy a 1913 or early 1914 Model T non-black in color touring car. I like the fact that Model T's came in multiple colors until the middle of 1914 and I would like to find a brass non-black model T touring car.
One of the concerns I have is that it seems to be harder to get certain parts for 1913 and earlier cars....like tops and side curtains. I live in Michigan and the weather is often cold and wet and things like side curtains are needed.

Can anyone out there with a 1913 Model T touring let me know how many challenges they have faced finding parts for their car as compared to a later car.

Thank you....Bryan
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Brass Touring tops and side curtains

Biggest challenge is not finding the parts but having deep enough pockets!

The next thing is learning what is correct for the year you are working on, that can include by the month the car was built.
For top and side curtains, maybe not from the parts suppliers but there are sources.

Re color; the stock color was pretty dark and not any choices. Many cars you see restored today may not have the stock color which would have been very dark blue almost black(1913) in some light situations and black(1914).

You might want to take some time to go thru the on line catalogs or get a copies of the printed catalogs from the suppliers and get an idea what is out there for replacement parts.

The 1913 started in late 1912 and the 1914 style started in late 1913 and was carried into early 1915 for the tourings. So unless you are looking for a 1914 with 1913 serial number there really is no early 1914. The 1913 had what is call slab side doors that came down and covered the sill, 1914 doors look like what was used till 1925.

Last edited by redmodelt; 03-13-2021 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Changed color
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:29 AM   #3
bdtutton

Thank you for the feedback.....
As I look through the catalogs I find it is easier to get 1914 parts, but I am looking for a car that is not black. I have found several nice 1913s and early 1914s and they all seem to be painted black...even though lots of these were painted other colors from the factory. I am beginning to think I will have to buy a black car and just have it repainted. Anyone know how much that would cost to get a 1914 black car painted blue for example?
Old 03-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #4
redmodelt

Like I said, there were no color choices from the factory. It was one of the two colors I listed (updated) depending on what year. I rechecked color, very dark blue for 1913 and black for 1914. You may be seeing a 1913 that looks black in the photos, but could be the correct dark blue. The very early cars had brighter colors and of the course the 1926/27 did too. Everything from 1914 to 1915 was one color, black.

Re painting, how much it would cost would depend on how much prep work was needed. So would be hard for someone to guess, esp not knowing the rates in your area and condition of car.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:33 AM   #5
1940 Convert

As mentioned above it's not that you can't get or have made. It's making sure if it's correct or what you want. Then of course the price. I have a 1 of 4 1912 Maxwell and have had to have a lot of the stuff made. The Amish are very good but they can get pricey. A friend rebuilt a 1909 Economy from almost nothing and had to have a lot made.
1940 Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:53 AM   #6
bdtutton

Oh..thank you for the information about the colors...I did not know there were so few colors available in 1913 and 1914.
My wife really likes the way the early cars look with their brass and bright colors. I like to drive my cars so I am looking for something I can get lots of aftermarket parts for...like side curtains, Rocky Mountain brakes and a Ruckstell differential. I think the compromise with my wife will be to get a 1914 and paint it a non-standard color like yellow.
I think I need more information....Could you refer me to some technical documents, websites or books that would give me more details about each model year?
Old 03-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #7
redmodelt

Sign up on the Model T Ford Club of America site, you don't have to be a club member to use. There is the encyclopedia on the MTFCA home page that has lots of information.

Try doing a search of "mtfca; ruckstell" for example.

One of our club members has a 1915, yellow with black fenders, I think it look great! Suggestion, I would not do an all yellow car for example, two tone combination.
There are a number of Facebook pages that are T related.

Books;

Model T Ford, The car that changed the world (You can get on DVD put I like the printed copy)

Model T Ford Service (later then 1914 but very usable even for 1914 for service)
Owners Manual that covers what ever year you end up with.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #8
1940 Convert

There is also one that is blue with black fenders that is a near mirror image of my Maxwell. Mine was once red with black fenders and I actually preferred that look to the blue over black that it is now.

If you just type "yellow model T" in Google you can find whatever color you search for.

Last edited by 1940 Convert; 03-15-2021 at 11:16 AM.
1940 Convert is offline   Reply With Quote