Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2021, 10:56 PM   #21
daren007

Default Re: Engine Stalls at Stop Signs

Running a Tillotson. Problem solved.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:56 AM   #22
jquinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwirz View Post
Open the GAV a bit..............
EXACTLY !!! Myself and another member had the stalling at a stop sign problem and an ole timer told us to do this and it solved both our problems.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #23
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
Please note that I did not develop the flow data ranges for Zenith carbs. I highly recommend that you get a copy of Steve Pargeter's "Zenith Model A Carburetor Restoration Guidelines." I have heard a rumor that this booklet was re-published but when the current stock is gone, they are not planning a reprint. I built the plastic pipe water test setup shown in the guidelines. For years I drove a Model A with a black sooty tail pipe because a I installed newly purchased jets that had not been flow tested. I would further state that soldering and drilling the jets using the recommended drill sizes is not accurate enough to get to the correct flow for a jet. How the drill leaves the exit hole in the jet affects how much gas will pass through the jet. You have to flow test and then using the micro sized drills as a file, file the hole to the final flow capacity. You cannot use the micro drills in a hand drill because they will brake immediately. They are too fragile. Before I solder up a jet, I insert a 24 ga SST wire (Idle Jet) or a 20 ga SST wire (Main, Cap or Compensator Jet) and solder the hole. For the Main and Cap Jets, I use a 1/16 in. drill to make the dimple at the tip to minimize gas weeping after soldering. Then flow test, and slide the appropriate size micro drill in and out until the jet is exactly at the flow you want. I use electrical shrink tubing to fasten the jet to the test rig. You have to be patient, this is a trial and error process that can take up to an hour just for one jet. I often tell members of my club that just cleaning a carb and re-assembling is a waste of time if you do not test jet flow rates. Good luck with your rebuilding project, Ed
Wow, a lot of work. wouldn't you just be better off purchasing flow rated jets?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote