Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Ed Pitts

Default Better starter button II

Well Henry, I hope your E-bay starter button purchase lasts longer than my NAPA SBT5. A nice internal spark show and mine was toast on the first spin. It locked up and I had to remove the battery cable to shut it off. Used a remote switch I had here to get it fired up. What's plan B? Ed
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Old Henry

Default Re: Better starter button II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Pitts View Post
What's plan B? Ed
I do hope I have better luck than that.
As to plan B?
When my previous button failed on our Pike's Peak trip last year I had to get out of the car, lift the hood, and start it with the button on the bottom of the starter solenoid. Had to be real careful or we got zapped a few times by that #4 sparkplug that's right by it.

When I got home after that button failed I installed this Radio Shack intermittent button under the dash wired to ground just to be sure. When my current button finally gave out on our Death Valley trip I just had to reach under and pull this out and am using it until I get the SBT-5.

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-05-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Don W/Norfolk

Professor,
What are all those switches/gizmos you have? I'm assuming the red button is your interim starter switch, but what about the brown knob and the two toggles?
Inquiring minds, you know....
dw
Old 02-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W/Norfolk View Post
Professor,
What are all those switches/gizmos you have? I'm assuming the red button is your interim starter switch, but what about the brown knob and the two toggles?
Inquiring minds, you know....
dw
The brown knob and bracket are original that came with the vintage turn signals I have stuck in the back window of my car:

The box behind it quite bewildered the judges at the EFV8 Club Western National Meet. It is a Radio Shack project box that has two big 1 ohm resistors inside epoxied to the metal back to dissapate the heat they create. Those are to get my thermal flasher to flash since the vintage fixtures just have one little 1.5 candlepower bulb in each of them and weren't enough load to flash. Under the box are two Radio Shack buzzers to remind me to turn the signals off. They have white duct tape on them so they're not so offensively loud.

The left toggle switch is to my interior lights. (The switch on the starboard light died.) The right toggle switch is for my electric fuel pump that I only turn on when I have vapor lock to prime the mechanical pump until it works again.

Last edited by Old Henry; 02-18-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
TomO

If you have the starter solenoid with the one small terminal, the push button should last many years. I have been using the Dennis Carpenter starter button since 1976. It replaced the original 36 year old button because of cosmetics. The blue on the original button was worn off.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Ed Pitts

The replacement from NAPA works fine. Problem solved. Ed
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote