Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Ed Pitts

Default Broken part

Any idea where I might find one of these? This holds the vacuum line to the intake manifold on a 46 engine and is the vacuum hookup for the windshield wiper. Any idea what the part number is? Another one of those "oh crap" moments! Thanks, Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3063.JPG (98.5 KB, 72 views)
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Broken part

PN is waaaay back with wipers in 17,000 part of catalog, not with engine stuff. Hard to find in good shape, and I've never run into NOS, so fleamarket time.
Mushroom part is a silencer, usually defunct because felt inside disintegrated and was incinerated by engine.
Functional repro: Get a bolt matching the main part...it is a standard bolt thread.
Put a block of wood in drill press, drill hole that is snug fit on bolt threads. Drop in bolt, secure it from rotating with a wrench, drill a hole endwise right through it. You want a cheap bolt, not anything that will fight the drilling. Drill out outer part of hole to suit a bit of tubing for the wiper hose, cross drill the shank to get vac to the little banjo fitting for distributor brake. Take it to the parts store and get a couple copper washers from their brake hardware collection.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Ed Pitts

Thanks Bruce. I was afraid this might be a hard part to find. Good idea on the re-make. Re-makes just seem to be a part of the hobby. Thanks again. Ed
Old 02-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Ed Pitts

Bruce, looks like it is either a 51-17594 Bracket (46-48) or a 7BA-17595 Silencer Assy. (47-48) Man, they were hidden back there. Ed
Old 02-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Gary in La.

I've got 1 NOS one left. I'll send you a PM with details. The p/n is 11A-17595.

Last edited by Gary in La.; 02-10-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
JeffG

I had the threads strip out on mine. Found a front master cylinder banjo bolt from my 85 Harley that was perfect fit. Just needed to finish drilling all the way through and size it on the outside to press in the hose nipple.
JeffG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
PN is waaaay back with wipers in 17,000 part of catalog, not with engine stuff. Hard to find in good shape, and I've never run into NOS, so fleamarket time.
Mushroom part is a silencer, usually defunct because felt inside disintegrated and was incinerated by engine.
Functional repro: Get a bolt matching the main part...it is a standard bolt thread.
Put a block of wood in drill press, drill hole that is snug fit on bolt threads. Drop in bolt, secure it from rotating with a wrench, drill a hole endwise right through it. You want a cheap bolt, not anything that will fight the drilling. Drill out outer part of hole to suit a bit of tubing for the wiper hose, cross drill the shank to get vac to the little banjo fitting for distributor brake. Take it to the parts store and get a couple copper washers from their brake hardware collection.
I fixed one this way over forty years ago on a 46 Ford I had. Over the years and different 59AB engines I used up good used ones I had but always held on to a prized NOS one until my last project. Hardly had it snugged up much over finger tight and it came apart,really a weak point in the part,thin and brittle.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
ken ct
BANNED

Good ones are hard to find ,but easy to make,you dont realy need the silencer part on there.It will work just as find without it. OMO ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote