Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #1
Ken Arms

Default Help! 59ab oil pan fitment

Hi folks, I have a 59ab engine that has the better oil pump, when I assembled the engine it was using a 34 oil pan with some of the baffle removed so it would clear the oil pump. I'm now trying to install what I thought was the correct pan for the 59 since it has the vent to allow crank case pressure relief. My issue is this new pan has a baffle that seems to be in the way of the pump pickup. should I cut it out? if I do then the pan will have no baffle at all. The reason I want to change it is because the 34 pan allows pressure to build and blow out around the gasket. Ken
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
Zeke3

Default Re: Help! 59ab oil pan fitment

Btt
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:23 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Arms View Post
Hi folks, I have a 59ab engine that has the better oil pump, when I assembled the engine it was using a 34 oil pan with some of the baffle removed so it would clear the oil pump. I'm now trying to install what I thought was the correct pan for the 59 since it has the vent to allow crank case pressure relief. My issue is this new pan has a baffle that seems to be in the way of the pump pickup. should I cut it out? if I do then the pan will have no baffle at all. The reason I want to change it is because the 34 pan allows pressure to build and blow out around the gasket. Ken
When you say better oil pump which one are you referring to? Sounds like you may be talking about an 8ba pump and not the 59a pump.

Keep in mind that what you are calling a better pump may not be in agreement with what most folks here on the Barn consider the best pump for a 59a.. Think most would agree that the original pump is the best pump.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
alchemy

I removed the baffle from a 59A pan when I fit the 8RT pump and pickup. It also required a slight heat-and-bend of the pickup tube because the screen was touching the bottom of the pan.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:56 AM   #5
Bored&Stroked

I run the late 8BA pump in ALL of my flathead builds (with the late truck pickup) - and add/modify a baffle to fit.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote