Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
hardtimes

Default brake bleeder Q

Any of you guys buy/use a brake bleeder that you would recommend for its effectiveness, durability and ease of use ? Experience counts and is appreciated.

I just checked out Eastwood (second gen ?) bleeder. It is about $30 , which is reasonable $...but second gen due to first iteration 'not good' ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: brake bleeder Q

Check out "Speed-Bleeders". They make one-person bleeding quick and easy. I am in the process of changing ALL of my vehicles (even the newer ones) to "Speed-Bleeders". I am now able to flush the systems on schedule (which I was never able to do before).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
Paul Bennett

My Phoenix works well for solo brake bleeding.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

As Tubman says, install a set of 'Speed Bleeders' and you won't have to buy a stand alone bleeder that may or may not work.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
SofaKing

I like pressure bleeding. I made one for less than $30 and they can be purchased. Much better than pumping the pedal. Not prone to vexing leaks like vacuum bleeding. Never used a "speed bleeder" nipple everyone here likes so much but having removed a number of rusty bleed nipples, having a spring-loaded check ball in that environment has obvious liabilities.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
tubman

I think we're OK when we're talking old cars like ours and the favorable environment they are operated in. Last week, I had to drop the exhaust system I installed in 1987 to hook up the replaced engine. All fasteners came loose easily, the clamps came apart with no problems, and surprisingly, all of the pipes are solid as a rock. Also, I'll have to check, but the ones I am using seem to be made out of stainless.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:30 PM   #7
Ford Freak

My Harbor Freight brake bleeder works ok .
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:27 AM   #8
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
As Tubman says, install a set of 'Speed Bleeders' and you won't have to buy a stand alone bleeder that may or may not work.
Thanks to all of you guys ! Some ideas to check out. I like the speed bleeder idea and will look into that first. Harbor freight is close by, so will check that out also.

Will look for the 'stainless' variety of speed bleeder..if available.

So, when speed bleeders are in use, how do you handle the fluid that is expelled, i.e.- catch can, what ?

Also, I'm using the silicone (?) fluid. No leaks so far and brakes are good , however I suspect trapped air, as these new Lincoln brakes should stop a little roadster on a dime.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:21 AM   #9
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Thanks to all of you guys ! Some ideas to check out. I like the speed bleeder idea and will look into that first. Harbor freight is close by, so will check that out also.

Will look for the 'stainless' variety of speed bleeder..if available.

So, when speed bleeders are in use, how do you handle the fluid that is expelled, i.e.- catch can, what ?

Also, I'm using the silicone (?) fluid. No leaks so far and brakes are good , however I suspect trapped air, as these new Lincoln brakes should stop a little roadster on a dime.
Expelled fluid is handled by a tube into a cleaned out plastic 'salad dressing' bottle hung by a wire in any convenient location.
Don't bother looking for bleeders that are 'stainless' as you have made the excellent choice of using 'silicone' brake fluid. This will pretty much eliminate any issues found when "removing a number of rusty bleed nipples" from sixty to eighty year old cars.
Did find the 'speed bleeders' on the shelf at 'Pep Boys'
Old 07-16-2017, 05:39 AM   #10
Phil Gillespie

So for exchange of original brake bleeders to speed bleeders, the thread size will be?
As see some advertised with a metric thread pitch.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:00 AM   #11
Frank Miller

Just looked up speed bleeders and realized I've been doing it that way with regular ones. Just open the bleeder and have the hose in a container of clear fluid. Repeatedly pumping the pedal pushes old fluid out and the hose being in a liquid does not pull air back in. Must work as I'm still able to stop.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:29 AM   #12
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
So for exchange of original brake bleeders to speed bleeders, the thread size will be?
As see some advertised with a metric thread pitch.
Phil NZ
They make them for almost all applications, metric and English.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:35 AM   #13
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
Just looked up speed bleeders and realized I've been doing it that way with regular ones. Just open the bleeder and have the hose in a container of clear fluid. Repeatedly pumping the pedal pushes old fluid out and the hose being in a liquid does not pull air back in. Must work as I'm still able to stop.
Some vehicles are easier to bleed than others. For example, I can successfully "gravity bleed" my 1999 F150 because of the placement of the master cylinder and the overall characteristics of the system. I could never do it with my '51 Ford where the master cylinder is mounted much lower. I have a particularly hard time bleeding the systems on C2 and C3 Corvettes. I have heard this from others as well. When I had to bleed my '68 with Dot-5 fluid, I almost got a divorce.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:04 AM   #14
Phil Gillespie

My question is whats the thread size in a 39 backing plate for the brake bleeder?

Is it 1/8" gas thread or 1/4" gas thread as need to know the size before purchasing the speed bleeder to replace existing brake bleed fitting.
hope this is clear.
Thanks,
Phil NZ
Old 07-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #15
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
My question is whats the thread size in a 39 backing plate for the brake bleeder?

Is it 1/8" gas thread or 1/4" gas thread as need to know the size before purchasing the speed bleeder to replace existing brake bleed fitting.
hope this is clear.
Thanks,
Phil NZ
Most if not all Ford brake applications use 3/8-24 fittings which are available in 1" and 1-1/2" over all lengths.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #16
Phil Gillespie

Thanks very much for that.
Phil NZ
Old 07-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #17
transbytip

I like my red neck way of bleeding old Ford brakes with m.c.under car raise car up on hoist tie strong rope to brake pedal clamp vise gripss on pedal so rope wont slide down pedal,now tie other end of rope to heavy item I use an old marine batt.with handle put batt. on a tall block of wood or any thing handy tie rope tight pulling pedal down lift batt, off block let it dangle hit bleeder screw to get rid of air replete process till all air is out of system could just hoist by lowering& raising to work pedal it works for me Cliff.
transbytip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #18
cas3

i cut a 2x4 the right length to wedge in between the seat and brake pedal. no help needed, works fine
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #19
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Most if not all Ford brake applications use 3/8-24 fittings which are available in 1" and 1-1/2" over all lengths.
Thanks for help and detailed info !
I think that I see where I will not be able to use these bleeders where they are probably needed most..i.e.-rear.

My Lincoln brakes in a '30 roadster, have a situation where there is only about 1/4" from bleeder head to spring end...bummer. So, in order for me to put bleeders on the rear two , I'd have to remove backing plates to install (1" or 11/2").
I guess that I can buy them and then someday when have backing plates off.....install them.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #20
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by transbytip View Post
I like my red neck way of bleeding old Ford brakes with m.c.under car raise car up on hoist tie strong rope to brake pedal clamp vise gripss on pedal so rope wont slide down pedal,now tie other end of rope to heavy item I use an old marine batt.with handle put batt. on a tall block of wood or any thing handy tie rope tight pulling pedal down lift batt, off block let it dangle hit bleeder screw to get rid of air replete process till all air is out of system could just hoist by lowering& raising to work pedal it works for me Cliff.
Nothing wrong with being innovative ! And, it sounds like you are very innovative.
However, I feel lucky to have a jack and stands, so no hoist. And, not much ability , nowadays, to make like a pretzel in/or under a car.