Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2024, 09:20 AM   #1
Babyboomerboy

Default Rewiring headlights on a 1950 Ford Tudor

I am rewiring the headlights on my 1950 Ford. I have the wiring diagram to help me but I have a question. As I removed the old wires, the ground wire was grounded at the wiring block for each headlight. The diagram shows the ground wires connected together and then run to the harness by the battery. Would there be any difference in the grounding of the wires if I follow the diagram rather than stopping at the wiring block. Thank you
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 10:40 AM   #2
Scott52

Default Re: Rewiring headlights on a 1950 Ford Tudor

Don't think so but keeping ground wires short is a rule of thumb. I've grounded other lights and the sending unit and attached wires to the frame as close as convenient.
Scott52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 11:11 AM   #3
ford38v8

A tip for brighter headlights:
Use the existing switching system to activate relays up near the radiator, relays powered by heavier gauge wire. On the grounding, run ground wires from headlights directly to frame, not just to fenders. These improved connections will then supply your lights with almost zero resistance.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:07 PM   #4
rotorwrench

It depends on whether you are using say a Bauer Electronics headlight harness or whether you are making your own harness. My 1951 Merc had the headlamp special harness that was made for each headlamp and was insulated to protect it well from water in the fender well area that it passed through from the bucket to the terminal block. each one grounded at the terminal block rather than run a wire back to the ground on the voltage regulator. Bauer stuff is pretty good and they have diagrams that come with the product to connect it up. If it has a ground buss back to the regulator or horn relay or what ever, they will include that in their headlight harness.

As long as the headlights are grounded properly either way then that's the main thing.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote