Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
AnthonyG

Default need rebuilt 59ba

Any leads on a rebuilt 59ba engine?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Mike in AZ

Default Re: need rebuilt 59ba

other than epay or craig'slist, nope....here's a link to epay...have no idea about these guys at all....maybe H&H, pretty sure they sell turn key engines.....Mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Flathea...tr#ht_70wt_905
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
Ford Flathead

I have turn key flatheads www/flatheads-forever.com Let me know if you want a quote.
Ford Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
AnthonyG

To: Ford Flathead, Yes send quotes to [email protected]. Here's some info, have a very nice stock '35 Tudor which needs an engine. Would like an upgrade from stock. research indicates I want a 59BA with the stroker. Don't need more than 160 to 180 HP nor a lot of chrome as I am trying to keep it looking stock but with some BALL's. But would like to see pricing top to bottom, give me quotes on several from mild and stock looking to more powerful and hot looks. Looking for turn key bolt in. Thx in advance and regards. Tony Galletta
Old 05-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Chris in MA

Anthony,
I am sure you will hear from others on this, but our inquiring minds want to know, what are your intentions with the car? You dont mention a budget or the current condition of your 35, but getting 160 to 180 HP out of a flathead is going to get expensive, probably very expensive. The 59 was originally 95HP. Plus with that kind of oomph, you will need to consider going to hydraulic brakes, possibly discs, transmission and rear end/ gears.

Take a poke around this site and the HAMB, you will find a TON of info on this topic. I am currently looking for a stock motor for my 40, I have good cores, but I am looking at 3K+ potentially for a stock rebuild...

Regards,
Chris
Chris in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
AnthonyG

Hi Chris, I am a novice at trying to keep a stockish vehicle. I am a street rod guy who has built more than a few. This '35 Tudor with no motor came up and is so nice I didn't want to cut it up in a SR project. I do want to keep it and have some fun with it but do need more power than the stock ( 80 HP I believe was stock ). Talked to Gary of Flathead City and his input was 150HP 59BA was easy and the car would handle it. Also said 180 possible in it but a little hairy without the Hyd. Mod on the brakes. Not opposed to that but was going to feel it out. Saw an article which changed the leverage with buyable linkage which supposedly increased the ability of the mechanical brakes to a level close to the Hyd. I have the (original Buy Sheet ) pretty neat, and it indicates 411 gears in rear. I have checked all mechanicals and all seem to be good. If I have to do too much to get the oomph out of it with a Flathead I will probably Street Rod it with a SB Chevy or Ford and go all the way with Discs, 9" ford rear, mustang II front end etc. Pic's in my album, take a look.

Thx for the heads up it is noted and appreciated.
Regards, Tony
Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
oldford2

Anthony,

Here is a post you made last week. You got a good response and many leads. You never responded to any of them. Now you are back asking the same stuff. What's going on? These guys are trying to help and it looks like you are just "fishing"

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107421
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
cmbrucew

Tudor Tony

You have a beautiful car.
You do what it takes to enjoy it to the fullest.
Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Anthony,

Here is a post you made last week. You got a good response and many leads. You never responded to any of them. Now you are back asking the same stuff. What's going on? These guys are trying to help and it looks like you are just "fishing"

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107421
I'm with oldford2.... you dont seem to know what you want. First it's a stocker, then it's a stroker, then it's 180hp.... all in the same paragraph.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
AnthonyG

Oldford2, why are you so angry? I new at this so excuse me. I am researching and learning the best move to make. Original post was need engine, now defined to 59ba as I learn. I'll pull the trigger when I know it's right. If you don't like my posts don't read em.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Mike in AZ

guess you better figure on changing the transmission and the gears in the rear, if 4.11....later '39 transmission would work, and more streetable gears would be needed if you wanted to drive highway, etc. without screaming the engine....good luck....maybe find someone with engine like you're looking for in his/her car and drive it to see if that is what you're looking for in ooomph.....should be someone close by on the 'Barn....that way you'll know whether your plans have merit and you won't spend the money, then be disappointed with the performance....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
AnthonyG

Good idea Mike, thx
Old 05-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
AnthonyG

Hey Bassman / NZ, what are you the posting police? This goes for you and your buddy Oldford2 you must share 1 brain.
Why are you so angry? I'm new at this so excuse me. I am researching and learning the best move to make. Original post was need engine, now defined to 59ba as I learn. I'll pull the trigger when I know it's right. If you don't like my posts don't read them.
PS my responses sent privately so 8-balls like you don't see them
Old 05-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
Mart

Ok, lets not get into a slanging match.

Just if it helps when you are asking people, you are looking for a 59A type motor, not a 59ba motor, I think you may have got mixed up with the later 8BA. The 59A is also sometimes called 59AB.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Hey Bassman / NZ, what are you the posting police? This goes for you and your buddy Oldford2 you must share 1 brain.
Why are you so angry? I'm new at this so excuse me. I am researching and learning the best move to make. Original post was need engine, now defined to 59ba as I learn. I'll pull the trigger when I know it's right. If you don't like my posts don't read them.
PS my responses sent privately so 8-balls like you don't see them

Dude, back it down a notch. You want to sling crap, do it off line.

Now, good luck with your rebuild or finding a turn key engine.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
AnthonyG

Mart, I admit I need all the help I can get as I've been a Street Rod and a Muscle Car guy til this '35 Tudor came along. Not sure why those two had to be nasty? Anyway site has been very helpful, I did find a good engine and good radiator.
Kind regards,
Old 05-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
Bassman/NZ

AnthonyG.... my post and Oldford2's post were not nasty. I merely stated you do not seem to know what you want. How is that nasty? If you want to see nasty, go hang on the Hamb for a while.... those guys can get nasty if the occassion arises.
A tip for you, if you dont already know. The internet is a place where emotions, sentiments and ideas do not always get transmitted or interpreted in the way they were intended. It's the nature of the quick reply forums. Develop a thick skin, dont take everything at face value. Then you will start getting a lot of extremely valueable help and information.
Now, that wasn't nasty, was it?
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
52merc

way to go marty
Old 06-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #19
Blase

do you mean 59ab if so I make have one for $5,000
Blase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #20
AnthonyG

To all, the helps been great, Thx. I have secured an engine. Not sure how to end the thread but this is my shot at it. Hope all goes well with the one I bought, It's out of a '39, not exactly what I wanted but close. Rebuilt a few years ago and running fine.

Thx again for all the info.