Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
Robert Demlong

Default 1933 Rear Tire carrier

I am new at restoring a 1933 Ford Fordor and want to add on the rear tire carrier which I have. There are no mounting holes in the sheet metal and their must be some kind of brackets or plates keeping the weight of the tire from pulling on or through the sheet metal. I can't find any pictures or description. Any one that has one attached that can send me photos or describe how it is attached to the body or frame would be attached. Thanks Bob
Robert Demlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #2
Newc

Default Re: 1933 Rear Tire carrier

Hi; Your rear cross member tube type, should have the tire mount holes and bracket for the cast tire mount that is external [outside] the body. Do you have the 33/34 book from the Early V8 Club? Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
Robert Demlong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Hi; Your rear cross member tube type, should have the tire mount holes and bracket for the cast tire mount that is external [outside] the body. Do you have the 33/34 book from the Early V8 Club? Newc
Thanks so much for responding, I have the book and found an example of the possible part on Appendix C-14 (looks like a stamped sheet) which looks different from the one Page D-14 (looks like an H frame pattern) which is on the skeleton on the car. I'm missing both pieces it looks like. I probably can get them refabricated. Do you know if the top of the brace attaches to something after bolting through the gas tank cover? It looks like it just sits above the sending unit. I attached scans from the book to show what I was confused about. I appreciate your insight. Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCAN0181.jpg (45.5 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg SCAN0180.jpg (86.0 KB, 104 views)
Old 05-20-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
Newc

Hi; the tube rear cross member is repoped by Drake, I believe. they are not rare. then the rear sheetmetal cover is sandwiched between the cross member support and the cast spare mount. I thought some others would reply, but I tried to describe it. The rear cross member with the mount frame is on the chassis in the photo. The cast mount is hanging on the wall in the photo. Are you doing a cpe or sdn or?? Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:24 PM   #5
DavidG

Ignore all but the cast bracket in your photo on the right as those other parts that you have circled do not pertain to mounting the spare wheel bracket. Instead follow Newc's counsel regarding the cross-bar-mounted framework on the chassis in the photo on the left and the cast exterior bracket in the right side photo. Those are the only two parts involved and neither is scarce. (There are presently no fewer than six of the cast brackets on eBay ranging from $20 [about what they're worth] to $130 [absurd].)

If your gas tank cover has no holes and your cross bar has no framework for the bracket and both are original parts, they were used on cars with front-fender-mounted spare wheels/tires. All '33-'34 passenger cars with rear-mounted spares (except super-early '33 passenger cars and '34 Victorias) used the same cross tube and cast bracket, regardless of body type.

Last edited by DavidG; 05-20-2017 at 09:55 PM. Reason: additional information
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #6
mercman from oz

Here is a picture of my 1934 Ford with fender mounted spare wheel. Notice that the cover panel doesn't have any holes drilled in it, however, that spare wheel bracket mount is fixed to the rear spreader bar that mounts under this panel. You just have to drill 2 holes in the rear cover panel to mount the cast rear spare wheel support piece .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005 (1).jpg (62.4 KB, 148 views)
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:15 AM   #7
Robert Demlong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Demlong View Post
Thanks so much for responding, I have the book and found an example of the possible part on Appendix C-14 (looks like a stamped sheet) which looks different from the one Page D-14 (looks like an H frame pattern) which is on the skeleton on the car. I'm missing both pieces it looks like. I probably can get them refabricated. Do you know if the top of the brace attaches to something after bolting through the gas tank cover? It looks like it just sits above the sending unit. I attached scans from the book to show what I was confused about. I appreciate your insight. Bob
I have a Fordor Sedan. This information has been extremely helpful and I appreciate all the help. Bob
Old 05-21-2017, 12:24 AM   #8
Robert Demlong

Thanks this is very helpful. Bob
Old 05-21-2017, 12:25 AM   #9
Robert Demlong

Thank you for the feedback. Bob
Old 05-21-2017, 04:34 AM   #10
DavidG

Trevor,

With respect, your photo appears to be a unique-to-Australia judging from the Australian-type luggage rack. The North American '33 and '34 luggage racks are entirely different (non-folding) and mounted entirely different without any attachment to the upper gas tank cover. Given your photo, it would seem that beneath the gas tank cover is the same cross bar and frame work used for rear-mounted spares.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #11
mercman from oz

Here is a picture of the underside of the rear cover which shows all the brackets attached to the spreader bar, so that a spare wheel bracket could be mounted after drilling holes in the cover plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spreader Bar.jpg (42.5 KB, 133 views)
Old 05-21-2017, 08:27 PM   #12
DavidG

Trevor,

That's a good example of parts simplification, namely eliminating the need to stock two different passenger car cross bars.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:34 PM   #13
hop up

So who made this 1933 1934 spreader bar luggage rack that I got with my 33 pheaton? Is this a Ford accessories as I couldn’t find it in my 33-34 ford restoration book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.0 KB, 123 views)
Old 01-08-2021, 04:44 PM   #14
mercman from oz

This 1933-1934 Ford Rear Spreader Bar is what was used for cars with the Spare Wheel Mount or the Luggage Rack. The same Bar was used in both instances.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:49 PM   #15
DavidG

Take a look at Trevor's photo in #6 above, and I believe that you will conclude that what you have is the same bar as in that photo. As stated above elsewhere, that bar is for the folding luggage rack unique to Ford of Australia '33-'34s. North American '33-'34 luggage racks do not fold in the middle and are mounted differently with entirely different brackets.

Trevor,

On North American '33-'34 passenger cars with a side-mounted spare wheel and tire and a rear-mounted luggage rack, the bar was plain and did not have the bracket for attaching the rear-mounted spare wheel and tire carrier. The part numbers for the two bars are 40-5081-A (rear-mounted spare) and 40-5081-B (side-mounted spare).

Last edited by DavidG; 01-08-2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:00 PM   #16
mercman from oz

Here is a larger picture of the Folding Luggage Rack on my Australian 1934 Ford Phaeton.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:33 PM   #17
DavidG

Trevor,

With the exception of the brackets that attach to the bar, the rack itself in your photos appears to be the same as the '32 Australian version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 055.JPG (17.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 057.JPG (22.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-08-2021, 10:09 PM   #18
mercman from oz

Here are pictures of an Australian 1933 - 1934 Ford Luggage Rack that I recently sold. I believe that the same Carriers were used on the 1932 Australian Fords. David, it does look exactly like the one that you show, except for the mounting brackets
Old 01-08-2021, 11:00 PM   #19
hop up

Thank you for the information guys and pictures Mercman and DavidG. I may have to rack by looking at the pictures.