Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2021, 12:52 AM   #21
Tinker

Default Re: Holy Crap! Kindergarten kids stamped my block. What do I have here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will D View Post
BBQ tanks are stamped with expiry dates....just because you don't initially grasp something does not make it stupid. Sometimes clarification is all that's needed.

soooo, a serial number from ford is an expiration date on a tank? Sorry I didn't get it. I apologize. I don't think this guy has thin skin. But I appreciate your response. Truly.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:06 AM   #22
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
soooo, a serial number from ford is an expiration date on a tank? Sorry I didn't get it. I apologize. I don't think this guy has thin skin.
Come on Tinker, you know jokes aren't funny anymore once explained.. Typically propane tanks expire every 10 years. They need to be re certified and stamped in order for use to be continued. The OP was jokingly implying the punch set could be used to change the date of the tank to extend the life.
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:07 AM   #23
Kilohertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Maybe read... The change was in 31. Just remember flat8s never had serial stamps.

Okay thanks Tinker, much appreciated. Been working out in the snow all day...need sleep, brain is fading. Big excavation job tomorrow,,,back at the Ford on Friday.

cheers
Kilohertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:11 AM   #24
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilohertz View Post
Okay thanks Tinker, much appreciated. Been working out in the snow all day...need sleep, brain is fading. Big excavation job tomorrow,,,back at the Ford on Friday.

cheers

Cheers dude.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:30 AM   #25
Kilohertz

If I hit a water main tomorrow because I didn't get enough sleep........

Will, thanks for clarifying. Tinker, yes, I was just trying to be funny...sometimes my humor fails.

Where in the heck did you find that chart? My engine is cast with the C1B1 on the back bell housing mount, which means it's 1951 or newer. Cool, thank you.

Could you please find something that says it's a 4" crank? Like mentioned earlier, I found a few old posts stating the CDN owners' blocks cast with the same numbers had 4" cranks in them.

Now shutting down computer and sleeping.

ZZzzzzzzz
Old 01-14-2021, 01:37 AM   #26
Tinker

Quote:
If I hit a water main tomorrow because I didn't get enough sleep........

Will, thanks for clarifying. Tinker, yes, I was just trying to be funny...sometimes my humor fails.

Where in the heck did you find that chart? My engine is cast with the C1B1 on the back bell housing mount, which means it's 1951 or newer. Cool, thank you.

Could you please find something that says it's a 4" crank? Like mentioned earlier, I found a few old posts stating the CDN owners' blocks cast with the same numbers had 4" cranks in them.

Now shutting down computer and sleeping.

ZZzzzzzzz

I might be a bit direct sometimes. I usually like a joke that has some setup or context. hahaha. I do apologize though if I offended you. 59a motors also have a cast. Just not a serial number.... Most Canadian motors had 4" cranks as they were merc. But you could measure that. ahhh a water main isn't a big deal right? Well maybe.

Last edited by Tinker; 01-14-2021 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:16 AM   #27
Mart

The leftmost mark like a little 7 is probably one tip of the beginning star.
The fact that stars are present would indicate that the numbers were applied by the factory or an authorised facility. Are the re some areas where it was law that the motor should carry a number? Kinda surmising on that last point.
It's all a but moot, unless the numbers match the vehicle paperwork. As stated lots of flattys don't even have a number at all.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:29 PM   #28
rotorwrench

When the automatic transmissions and the new rotator valves came out, the 1BA designation was used for the engine block. All the blocks were the same whether 239 or 255 CID. The crank was changed in 1951 to work with the torque converter whether it was a 239 or a 255.

Pickup serial numbers have a bit more mystery in the late 40s & early 50s and especially in Canada. In the US for example, 9RC would be for a 1949 or 50 (by the first number) the R indicates a V8 and the C is the code for a 1/2-ton pickup or F1. What they used in Canada for pick up serial numbers is not a well know subject to me but they may have followed some of the practices used in the US.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:15 PM   #29
Kilohertz

Thanks Rotorwrench,

When you say the cranks were changed in '51, does that mean the 239 carried on as a 239 but with a different crank to accommodate the automatic, or does that mean all engines became 255? with a new crank? This also means mine should have the rotator valves? And if so, I think the hardened valve seats went away at the same time.

My '49 F-47 VIN (serial number) I think is the same format as USA, BD83H49xxxxx and the engine # on the serial tag on the firewall is 9E-10184 but the 10184 does not match the 4 digit number following the 49 on my serial tag if that makes sense.

I'm going to contact the previous owner to see if I can get some correct history about the engine in it now as I know it is not the original to the truck.

Mart, thanks for the info on the stars, I didn't know that.

The fun continues.

Cheers
Old 01-14-2021, 09:40 PM   #30
Don T

Your "star" matches my "turtle". Which truck do you think would be quicker?
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:51 PM   #31
Kilohertz

I took a good clear closeup so you can see which numbers were stamped first. I'll have to put it on the web as this site limits image size.

Any more thoughts?

cheers

https://www.dropbox.com/s/woeld174cl...ected.jpg?dl=0

Old 01-14-2021, 11:56 PM   #32
tubman

The link works fine and is a lot more defined. Thank you.

That being said, I cannot offer any help. Sorry.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:55 PM   #33
rotorwrench

The only change to the crankshaft was a larger bore hole at the back so that the big torque converter stub would fit in there. They did this for both 239 and 255 cranks in 1951. This was the first year for the Ford & Merc-O-Matics. Those air cooled converters were pretty big.

That block could have come up from the US but it's hard to say anything at this point. Most engines never had the serial number stamped on them here in the US. Very few if any states required it by the mid century era. I don't know about Canada. Things are always just a little bit different unless your talking about Monarchs, Meteors, or Mercury trucks. That's where Ford of Canada really parted from Ford of the US.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:54 PM   #34
Will D

Quote:
I took a good clear closeup so you can see which numbers were stamped first. I'll have to put it on the web as this site limits image size.

Any more thoughts?

cheers

https://www.dropbox.com/s/woeld174cl...ected.jpg?dl=0

Interesting how the "1's" in the first number look different from each other as well as different from the "1" in the second number. But the "1's" punched on an angle overtop the second number look the same as one of the ones in the first number. 3 different "1" punches used.

Odd how there is only one star at the end and not the beginning as well.

Considering typically the transmission and frame have the serial number and not the block, possibly a new guy was on the assembly line and started punching the block by mistake?? And the shorter number was added down the road by a rebuilder?
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:28 PM   #35
Kilohertz

I have looked at it for a while and to me it looks like it was originally....
RC41370 it's all the "other" hieroglyphics that are confusing me.

I think I may be at the point now where I should just pull off a head and see what I really have. Should be able to figure out the cam as well with the head off. Good to see if it's standard bore, what crank, bore condition etc.

Thanks!

Cheers
Old 01-15-2021, 11:25 PM   #36
Fortunateson

Kilohertz,

I have the same Canadian block which came with a 4" crank and the Merc pistons. I was told it was a Merc block because of the heads but head are easily swapped. When I tore it down I check the crank and it came with the wider counter balance weight as well as the oval dimple which confirmed the deal. Very pleased to say the least. I was confused with the ID cast at the rear of the block but apparently they all got the same as I thought Merc would be a little different.

I think the original number was stamped out after a rebuild.

Lawrence (a little left of Vancouver...)
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:58 PM   #37
Kilohertz

Thanks Lawrence,

You are the 3rd CDN I have heard that found a 4" crank in this C1BA cast block. This won't be an original combo though as Ford put EAC heads on the 4" crank engine to keep Merc compression the same as the 239 EAB head engine.

Here's hoping mine is the 4" block with EAB cam as well.

Cheers

Slightly left of Vancouver would put you on the island, if you are looking from space, or are you in the Fraser Valley?
Old 01-16-2021, 01:14 AM   #38
Tinker

Isn't this stamped on the intake plane on the rear passenger side of the motor. I hope we have moved beyond this being a serial number. Although some serial codes might be helpful, only the builder really knows what they mean. And then again he might not.