Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
Ed Solari

Default 33/34 Rumble lid Steve repo

I have two repo casting (one iron one alum) of the rumble lid hinge. One of the screw holes flanges on the castings does not align with the threaded hole in the rumble lid.
Has anyone mounted a OEM hinge onto a Steve repo lid and found one misaligned....or is Steve repo and OEM hinge in agreement and it is the two repo casting I have that are off?

Thanks

Ed Solari
Ed Solari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
stangblue

Default Re: 33/34 Rumble lid Steve repo

Ed had the same problem with an original rumble deck lid. The repro hinges had trouble to line up and the angle was incorrect for the axis. Fortunately I had a an original pr. that were worn and I refurbished them to work they fit perfect. I don't think it is Steve's lid that off it is the repro hinges. By the way did you get my pictures of the rear body panel section under the rumble lid?
Old 12-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
Karl Wescott

Default Re: 33/34 Rumble lid Steve repo

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
This is a workaround in the event of a lid/hinge mismatch.

1. Make a fixture to set the width of the hinges. A dowel duct taped between the hinges works well. Then a diagonal brace clamped to the hinges to hold them square in relation to across the deck lid.

2a. If the lid has existing tapped holes (original nut inserts, etc) start by making sure the hole patterns match to the hinges. You get to decide what is most likely correct and how to transfer the pattern and/or fix holes.

2b. If the lid does not have mount holes you may need to install steel plates under where each mount screw will be. Note that Wescott fiberglass lids have steel plates under the hinge mount areas. You will drill and tap the mount holes in step 5.

3. The area of the lid where the hinges mount should be bare metal or gel coat if fiberglass. Wax the hinge mount area so the glue in the next step does not adhere to the lid, rough up the mount area of the hinge so the glue does stick there.

4. Use a glass fiber filled epoxy or polyester putty and glue the hinge to the lid. The putty will make a custom spacer for the hinges.

5. If the lid did not have mount holes (step 2) then use the pattern of the hinge to drill the holes into the plates you installed in step 2. Use a sleeve on the drill bit so you do not drill through the outer panel. Tap the holes for 12-24.

6. Now you can break the hinges loose from the lid, clean up any excess putty, test install, then prep for paint.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote