Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2021, 12:32 PM   #121
JCAllison

Default Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
I'll try - At the bottom of the screen you are posting on is a box titled ATTACHMENTS. Open that and see if it makes any sense to you.
Hey Mr. K., Didn't see that. There is in the Tool Bar above the Reply Window a little Paperclip Icon. It opens a Window that has places for File Names on the Computer. BUT, the window isn't very big. Found that if that Window was enlarged, that the was a Button (Upload) on which to click that would send the Inserted Files to the Thread. Have tested it, and everything is in order.
Quote:
Anywho, the reason I am asking is that I was going through our old posts on ANOTHER FORUM and found a shot of your air cleaner/PCV SYSTEM. Being a CA car, it is different from 49 STATE but the photo was embedded with PHOTO-BUCKET so I was wondering if there is a clear shot.
Actually there IS a bunch of them! Find them attached below! You'll notice that in a couple of the images that there are two different styles of Air Cleaners. The Open Element Style is stock for Ms. American, but here in Onalaska, the DPS Storm Trooper doesn't want Open Element Air Cleaners on HIS highway. So the other Air Cleaner is an Enclosed Filter Element Style. It gets put on for the yearly inspection, and when the old Gal gets home from inspection, it is removed and Ms. American gets her stock Air Cleaner put back on.

Anyway, hope this is what you were desiring. If there's anything else you'd like to see, if there are JPGs of it, then you have only to ask.

Hope you are well. Take care. Stay safe.

JCAllison
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aircle02.jpg (46.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg aircle03.jpg (40.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg aircle04.jpg (48.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg aircle05.jpg (56.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg GOLDAC01.JPG (69.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg GOLDAC02.jpg (43.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg GOLDAC03.jpg (45.3 KB, 7 views)
Ms. American 3.14159,1964 Ford Galaxie 500,Model:64 4-Door Hardtop,Body:57B 4-Door Fastback,Police Interceptor,390 CID,330 HP,P-Code FE,Solid Lifters,Cast Iron Shorty Headers,Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carb,Mustangs Etc.Manual Choke,3 Speed BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission,4.11:1 Differential,Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels,PerTronix Ignitor III HEI,60,000 Volt PerTronix FlameThrower HC Coil,Frantz Oil Cleaner,Chantilly Beige
JCAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:17 AM   #122
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

I got your E-MAIL JC yesterday (finally checked my E-MAIL yesterday). It was yard duty day and I didn't get back right away, sorry.

So you found the process for attachments? Good! I was going to write a dissertation this morning. I am a horrible one to instruct another.

Say TX DPS doesn't approve of the OEM ACL/PCV install even though the car has CA EMISSIONS? If the car was in MD, they would have a heart attack if the EMISSIONS SYSTEM was not OEM correct.

THANX! for all that you have shown me, fascinating car. I only have one more question to ask and I will leave you two in peace ...

Hope you are feeling well ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:59 AM   #123
JCAllison

Quote:
Say TX DPS doesn't approve of the OEM ACL/PCV install even though the car has CA EMISSIONS?
Hey Mr. K., it isn't the TX DPS that doesn't approve of the OEM ACL/PCV. It's just this one Trooper.

In Texas, portions of the State Highway System are assigned to DPS Troopers, and the Inspection Stations in the vicinity of that Highway are under that Troopers auspices.

This particular Trooper has told the Inspection Station Owners that he wants to get the OLD "clunker&junkers" off of HIS Highway, and one of the ways to do it is to deny Inspection Stickers to cars with Open Element Air Cleaners.

Thus the reason that Ms. American has TWO Air Cleaners.

Anyway, what is the OTHER question?

Take care. Stay safe.

JCAllison
Ms. American 3.14159,1964 Ford Galaxie 500,Model:64 4-Door Hardtop,Body:57B 4-Door Fastback,Police Interceptor,390 CID,330 HP,P-Code FE,Solid Lifters,Cast Iron Shorty Headers,Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carb,Mustangs Etc.Manual Choke,3 Speed BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission,4.11:1 Differential,Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels,PerTronix Ignitor III HEI,60,000 Volt PerTronix FlameThrower HC Coil,Frantz Oil Cleaner,Chantilly Beige
Old 10-03-2021, 09:33 AM   #124
KULTULZ

Talking Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

! TOP OF THE MORNING JC !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAllison View Post

Hey Mr. K., it isn't the TX DPS that doesn't approve of the OEM ACL/PCV. It's just this one Trooper.

In Texas, portions of the State Highway System are assigned to DPS Troopers, and the Inspection Stations in the vicinity of that Highway are under that Troopers auspices.

This particular Trooper has told the Inspection Station Owners that he wants to get the OLD "clunker&junkers" off of HIS Highway, and one of the ways to do it is to deny Inspection Stickers to cars with Open Element Air Cleaners.

Thus the reason that Ms. American has TWO Air Cleaners.

Anyway, what is the OTHER question?

Take care. Stay safe.

JCAllison
... hmmpf ...

You would think that a free state like TX would not have to endure this crap. What does TX STATE INSPECTION LAW state?

Anywho, two last questions if you will -

1) You stated that your 64 P-CODE does not have the inline fuel filter housing as found on HP cars. Does your fuel filter reside in a canister attached below the pump or is the spin-on canister remote mounted?

2) When you have a chance, I would like a photo of the complete PCV SYSTEM on the car. Most likely will have to remove the ACL for a clear shot.

Also, any CASTING ID on the intake manifold. You gave the CARB ID so I am good there.

Let you get back to your grits and gravy (you all do eat grits down there I hope) ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 10-03-2021, 05:46 PM   #125
mercman from oz

The 1964 FORD Fairlane Thunderbolt was a HI-PO 2DR Sedan released by FOMOCO for SUPER/STOCK COMPETITION for that year
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #126
mercman from oz

LIGHTWEIGHT 1964 CUSTOM had a 427HR and was based on the Two-Door Sedan body for strength and reduced weight
Old 10-03-2021, 05:59 PM   #127
mercman from oz

A "high performance" 1964 Ford Fairlane 427 that now calls Australia home.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:44 PM   #128
JCAllison

Quote:
You would think that a free state like TX would not have to endure this crap. What does TX STATE INSPECTION LAW state?
Hey Mr. K., it probably says that if the Air Cleaner is stock, then it is all right. But, if one contested the issue, the inspector could find something else to fail the test with. It's just easier to put on the Enclosed Filter Element Air Cleaner than to do anything else.
Quote:
Anywho, two last questions if you will -

1) You stated that your 64 P-CODE does not have the inline fuel filter housing as found on HP cars. Does your fuel filter reside in a canister attached below the pump or is the spin-on canister remote mounted?
The Filter Canister is attached below and is part of the Fuel Pump. But Ms. American has another Fuel Pump that is part of what is called "Rosemary's Miscarriage". Will have to tell you the story about how it got THAT moniker sometime. Rosemary's Miscarriage is a Carter Electric Fuel Pump with a Two Position Switch that makes it function as long as the Switch is manually held ON, but when the Switch is released, it goes OFF. OR the Switch can be put in the Second Position and it will say ON till it is turned OFF. This is used for Priming the AutoLite 4100 after it old Gal has sat for a while, and the gas has evaporated out of the Float Bowls. There is another Fuel Filter (an in-line type) integrated into this system. Will post a JPG of it when the time comes to reveal this wondrous device.
Quote:
2) When you have a chance, I would like a photo of the complete PCV SYSTEM on the car. Most likely will have to remove the ACL for a clear shot.
See the JPGs below.
Quote:
Also, any CASTING ID on the intake manifold. You gave the CARB ID so I am good there.
Will have to go out when it is light enough to see the Casting ID. Don't have a camera anymore, so there won't be any pictures.
Quote:
Let you get back to your grits and gravy (you all do eat grits down there I hope) ...
Afraid I don't eat like that, which is not to say that I haven't had G&G, nor that it isn't eaten in this area. Don't eat Fried Chicken either.

Anyway, hope you are well. Stay safe.

JCAllison
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCVXX.JPG (80.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg CCVENT01.JPG (66.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg CCVENT02.JPG (71.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg PCV04.JPG (62.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg PCV08.JPG (41.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg PCV09.JPG (42.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-04-2021, 04:05 AM   #129
KULTULZ

Ain't this something? A rogue trooper setting safety inspection standards. What are you going to do?

Anyway, thanks for the photos, it explains a lot.

One question. On the heater hose that runs through the carb spacer, yours shows going to a ninety-degree fitting before entering the heater core. There is something inserted there with what looks like a capillary tube to me. Is there a mechanical water temp gauge on this car?

I also had to cut back on my diet. First sex, then honky-tonk, cars and now diet. Getting old is a b!tch.

Appreciate your help. It could take me days to go over that build.

Take Care!

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 10-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #130
JCAllison

Quote:
Ain't this something? A rogue trooper setting safety inspection standards. What are you going to do?
This has been going on for over five years. All it takes to get Ms. American inspected is to put the Enclosed Element Air Cleaner on before going to the Inspection Station. Then when we get back home, the Enclosed Element Air Cleaner gets taken off, and the Exposed Element Air Cleaner goes back on for another year. It's no big deal.
Quote:
Anyway, thanks for the photos, it explains a lot.
You are, of course, welcome.
Quote:
One question. On the heater hose that runs through the carb spacer, yours shows going to a ninety-degree fitting before entering the heater core. There is something inserted there with what looks like a capillary tube to me. Is there a mechanical water temp gauge on this car?
BINGO! There is a Three Gauge Array under the Dashboard (Temperature, Voltmeter, and Oil Pressure). The Ninety-Degree Fitting is actually a "T" Fitting, and the Sensor for the Temperature Gauge is on the Port closest to the Fire Wall.
Quote:
I also had to cut back on my diet. First sex, then honky-tonk, cars and now diet.
Here too. No more wine, women, and song.
Quote:
Getting old is a b!tch.
"Aging is NOT for sissies!" (Bette Davis)
Quote:
Appreciate your help. It could take me days to go over that build.
Take Care!
For sure. You too.

JCAllison
Old 10-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #131
KULTULZ

Quote:
BINGO! There is a Three Gauge Array under the Dashboard (Temperature, Voltmeter, and Oil Pressure). The Ninety-Degree Fitting is actually a "T" Fitting, and the Sensor for the Temperature Gauge is on the Port closest to the Fire Wall.
Now is all of this OEM or something added afterwards? If the OIL PRESSURE GAUGE is mechanical, where is the port for the line? It still has an oil pressure indicator lamp, correct?

I appreciate all of your time. I am on a steep learning curve here. The HP cars are more open to information and build data but the PI PACKAGES are kinda a close-knit secret. Most of it was in special parts cataloging and only the dealer(s) that had POLICE ACCOUNTS sourced them.

As for women, it seems all I dated had the same middle name, KARMA ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C3AE-6884-A.jpg (47.4 KB, 7 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 10-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #132
JCAllison

Quote:
Now is all of this OEM or something added afterwards?
Hey Mr. K., This was added when the 3.14 was rebuilt in 1998.
Quote:
If the OIL PRESSURE GAUGE is mechanical, where is the port for the line?
There is a "T" Fitting between the Oil Filter Fitting and the Oil Indicator Lamp Fitting.
Quote:
It still has an oil pressure indicator lamp, correct?
Yes.
Quote:
I appreciate all of your time. I am on a steep learning curve here. The HP cars are more open to information and build data but the PI PACKAGES are kinda a close-knit secret. Most of it was in special parts cataloging and only the dealer(s) that had POLICE ACCOUNTS sourced them.
Had one time talked to Greg Donahue about getting NEW Front Brake Drums. He asked me if I would like to have Finned Aluminum Brake Drums? I told him that they wouldn't be stock. He said yes they would!That they were made for NASCAR, and because they were special, Ford had put them in the PI Catalog, so technically they WERE stock for Ms. American. Asked him how much they cost? He said "Are you sitting down?" Turned out the were $850.00 each!

Had him send me two Cast Iron Drums. $45.00 each.

Anyway, over the years that Ms. American has lived with me, have added some tweaks that made her more reliable. Manual Choke. This Triple Gauge Set. Rosemary's Miscarriage. Quick Disconnect Battery Switch. All replaceable if someone wanted to go back to strictly stock.

Quote:
As for women, it seems all I dated had the same middle name, KARMA ...
Know what you mean.

Take care. Stay safe.

JCAllison
Old 10-04-2021, 12:36 PM   #133
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

LIGHTWEIGHT 1964 CUSTOM had a 427HR and was based on the Two-Door Sedan body for strength and reduced weight
HERE IS MORE INFO ON THE 1964 427 LIGHTWEIGHT -

http://427galaxieregistry.com/1964modelyear.html

Anyone notice that is it is wearing 1963 hub caps?

The front ALUM DRUMS were released for TAXI SVC. I am sure racers found out about them.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 10-04-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:53 PM   #134
JCAllison

Quote:
The front ALUM DRUMS were released for TAXI SVC. I am sure racers found out about them.
Hey Mr. K., the Aluminum Front Brake Drums with which Greg Donahue tried to tempt me were, as I understood him, finned (much like the old Buick Finned Drums, and according to GD, were made for use by NASCAR Fords, and were "hidden" (his term) in the Police Interceptor Catalog.

Anyway, stay safe.

JCAllison
Old 10-05-2021, 05:40 AM   #135
KULTULZ

Quote:

Hey Mr. K., the Aluminum Front Brake Drums with which Greg Donahue tried to tempt me were, as I understood him, finned (much like the old Buick Finned Drums, and according to GD, were made for use by NASCAR Fords, and were "hidden" (his term) in the Police Interceptor Catalog.

Anyway, stay safe.

JCAllison
It makes sense and I in no way doubt what he said.

The problem is the 60-64 MPC (and that is not always concise) calls out for TAXI use only, which makes little sense to me as a TAXI would eat brakes like crazy (even offered special linings). The only reason I would think they were called-out is possibly a better heat sink?

I can understand the APPL for a LIGHTWEIGHT but not for normal street, circle track and/or POLICE usage. Warped drums at 100MPH plus with a hard braking event would be a seat cover stretching event.

You never say NO regarding FOMOCO and I learn something new everyday. That's why I am here, to learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BRAKE DRUM - ALUM 1102 - FRT - 1960-64 MPC.jpg (20.2 KB, 3 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 10-05-2021, 05:44 AM   #136
KULTULZ

Quote:

Now is all of this OEM or something added afterwards?
Quote:

Hey Mr. K., This was added when the 3.14 was rebuilt in 1998.

There is a "T" Fitting between the Oil Filter Fitting and the Oil Indicator Lamp Fitting.
You tricked me. It appears as OEM.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 10-07-2021, 05:07 AM   #137
KULTULZ

Question Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

Where did you get off to JC? You doing alright?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 10-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #138
JCAllison

Quote:
You tricked me. It appears as OEM.
Hey Mr. K., right now the Volt Meter on the Triple Gauge Array isn't functional. When the guys at Smith Auto Electric installed the NEW Ignition Switch, they didn't hook up the Volt Meter, AND there is a broken wire that I don't know where it goes. So right now the Oil Pressure, and Coolant Temperature Gauges are the only ones functional.

More in the next post...

JCAllison
Old 10-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #139
JCAllison

Quote:
Where did you get off to JC? You doing alright?
Hey Mr. K., have been getting Ms. American ready for inspection which has to be done by the end of this month. Headlights (both Low Beam, and High Beam) work. Turn Signals (Front and Rear) work. Running Lights work. Horn works. Windshield Wipers work. Tail Lights work but are quite dim. Brake Lights don't work. Have traced the problem to the Hydraulic Brake Light Switch. Put a Jumper Wire between the two Fitting that go onto the Brake Light Switch, and the Brake Lights came on. So there's nothing wrong with the Wiring, or the Bulbs. Have ordered a couple of Hydraulic Brake Light Switches from the nearest O'Reilly's, and they are scheduled to be in later this morning. Will call to see if they arrived, and if they have, will go get them.

Don't know exactly what to do to get the Tail Lights to be brighter. Have done some research on the necessary Bulbs (1157), and that there is another bulb that is brighter that will fit. Also there are LED that will fit, but am not sure that that is the way to go.

Once the Brake Light problem is solved, will address the Dim Tail Light problem. Am thinking of removing the Tail Light Lenses, and seeing what Bulb is providing light for the Tail Lights. Also, will check to see if the Connections are clean and tight. Also the Ground. But all the Rear Lights are BRIGHT.

Don't know exactly what to do, but will work it out somehow. Still have about three weeks to get it done.

Anyway, hope this finds YOU doing well. Take care. Stay safe.

JCAllison
Old 10-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #140
KULTULZ

Post Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

Quote:
Don't know exactly what to do to get the Tail Lights to be brighter.
JC, usually on this vintage it is a poor ground or poor contact within the socket. Metal housings and sockets.

You had me worried there ...

FORGOT -

Some years ago, there was a flood of CHI-COM 1157 bulbs that had poor contacts.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 10-11-2021 at 04:05 PM.