Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2020, 07:05 PM   #1
WTSHNN

Default 1929 Dealer Supplement

Does anybody here have a copy of the July 15, 1929 Dealer's Supplement who would be willing and able to make a high-res scan of it for me? If so I would appreciate it as part of some research I'm working on.
Thanks!
-Tim
Old 09-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
AYooperA

Default Re: 1929 Dealer Supplement

Tim, What was a dealer supplement? Was it sales literature or more service oriented. I have some literature but is more for sales showing features and benefits of the new Model A and is from 1928 era early. Also I like your Avatar of CPD receiving shipments of the 1929 Tourings. S&L Motors was located at 3812 - 3820 S Wabash Ave. Have a ‘29 Touring that’s been in family many years from Chicago. I always wondered if it had been one of the 125 or so units. Dad was an early member of Calumet region back in the day. John
AYooperA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYooperA View Post
Tim, What was a dealer supplement? Was it sales literature or more service oriented. I have some literature but is more for sales showing features and benefits of the new Model A and is from 1928 era early. Also I like your Avatar of CPD receiving shipments of the 1929 Tourings. S&L Motors was located at 3812 - 3820 S Wabash Ave. Have a ‘29 Touring that’s been in family many years from Chicago. I always wondered if it had been one of the 125 or so units. Dad was an early member of Calumet region back in the day. John
John,

Would you believe all of what you say is related to my request.

The Dealer Supplements were issued as sups to the monthly Ford News (someone correct me if I'm wrong). They were only a page or two of details for particular topic.

The July 15, 1929 Dealer Sup I'm looking for is actually about those Phaetons delivered to CPD. The bottom of the sup features an image of the vehicles in front of S&L Motors and it is different from the other image that is usually seen of that moment. The image is a much wider shot of this one that shows 30 or 40 of the cars in front of the dealer.
DN-0088170.jpg

The other images of the phaetons not in front of S&L were taken just south of the Illinois Central Terminal, now roughly the 1400 block of S Indiana.

1929chicagopolicecarfleet.jpg
ChicagoPolice1929Ford-vi.jpg

So I'm trying to figure somethings out. Like why were there two photo ops; one at a train depot near downtown, and another a few miles south at a Ford Dealer. Were the cars brought in on trains and unloaded at the depot then driven to the dealer? If that's the case they would of had to drive past the dealer at 18th and Michigan to get to 38th and Wabash.

Also, the quantity and color are intriguing.

The Chicago Tribune says there were 100 yellow cars delivered.
The Ford Dealer sup says there were 125 orange cars delivered.

The Torrence Ave assembly plant produced 467 Phaetons in 1929 which would mean that CPD would have taken delivery of 20-25% of that body style produced that year...*IF* they were actually assembled there.

Things that I wonder about when I'm stuck awake at night.

Oh, and for finishing it all up, I was a long time member of Calumet Region when I lived south.
-Tim
Old 09-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
AYooperA

Tim, I don't have a Dealer Supplement as you have described. Mine are 1'' X 17" sheets with punches for a binder. they were used a a sales tool for selling the cars and trucks. Some pages show the typical B&W factory car/truck photos.
Getting back to the CPD Police cars, Thank you for the detailed information about these cars. I have seen these photos before, most in a Restorer's article from the earlier 70's. There is another I have seen of a '29 Touring Police car in front of Al Capone's home at 72nd & Prairie. Your Dealer supplement of July 15, 1929 stating the delivery of these cars to CPD would eliminate my car as it was manufactured in August of 1929. It also shows no evidence of ever being orange color but was a dark green judging by the original paint on firewall. Dad purchased the touring in 1960 from Jim Moran (Courtesy Ford Chicago). He hiked cars part time for him to auction and offered to Dad knowing he was into Model A's. Moran's shop did a mild restoration in the late 50's new paint, new canvas top and new upholstery (actual CTA bus vinyl mat'l of the day). It was one of his personal cars for a time until I guess tired of it. The car has remained the same for last 60 years with exception of tires, brakes and clutch work. The car is looking tired now so my plan is to restore it as it was "bone stock". Original color, no accessories wind wings etc. It originally just had rubber plugs in body for where the top bow saddles would go. We added T era saddles so we could lower the top. It will be interesting when I strip the 50's era light green off if i find any tell tales of previous life. I tried to attach a more recent photo of the car but not sure if it will come thru. Newer to this forum and not familiar. Also, very interesting you were a Calumet Region member. I doubt you were when my Dad was though, late 50's to 1970. Guys like Paul Moller, Bill Friar and picnics at John Tichan's. I was a young kid but remember those great times.
John

/Users/John/Documents/1929 Model A Touring.jpg
Old 09-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
dean from bozeman

Great to listen to you two talk about those '29 CPD Phaetons. It brings back memories for me but not in regards to Model A's. Late '69 and the first half of '70 I lived at 3349 S. Wabash while I went to Illinois Tech. Cheering from old Comiskey Park, the clatter from the "L" and living so close to the Projects made for an interesting year. The gorgeous yet rundown homes south of 35th let me know that at one time that was a very upscale neighborhood.

After one year of Chicago's southside I had enough and transferred to Iowa. A bit quieter there.

Last edited by dean from bozeman; 09-24-2020 at 09:56 AM.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:33 PM   #6
Brad in Germany

Tim: How about this:

Brad in Maryland
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:02 AM   #7
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Brad,

Page 168...Crown Point on the Columbia River...Been there many times...have always wanted to take my 1929 Standard Coupe there for a before and after photo opt.

Any idea if the "coupe" shown in the photo is a Standard Coupe or a Special Coupe?

I wish someone would do a CD of all the Dealer Supplements that were in Ford News...I have "copies" of all of them but lacking the Dealer Supplements.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 09-25-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:07 AM   #8
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Tim,

Just what day was this event those photos were taken?

Is the Chicago Tribune the only paper you reviewed?

I also have the monthly production figures for Chicago...and all the other assembly plants except for 1928.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 09-25-2020 at 08:22 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #9
AYooperA

Brad, Thank You for posting that copy of the Ford Dealer Supplement. I have never seen those supplements before nor the expanded photo of the S&L delivery. I am thinking there were multiple deliveries to reach the 125 figure. Looks to be around 30 units there on or before 7/15/29. I would be interested to know when the remaining units were delivered. This probably rules out my car as it was actually produced the first week of September 1929. It was a long shot to say the least! I uploaded some interesting articles from the day regarding these units. The winter scene with unit parked in front of Al Capone's home 72nd & Prairie Chicago 1930 (Maybe checking to see if he had filed his income tax). The last one is of my car taken somewhat recently. The Capone Cadillac mentions being painted green to match the CPD cars of the time, seems to contradict the the Ford Supplement and Chicago Tribune articles from 1929. John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1929 CPD 1.jpg (32.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 1929 CPD 2.jpg (27.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 1929 CPD 3.jpg (27.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1929 CPD 4.jpg (32.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 1929 Model A Touring.jpg (41.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:33 AM   #10
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
Great to listen to you two talk about those '29 CPD Phaetons. It brings back memories for me but not in regards to Model A's. Late '69 and the first half of '70 I lived at 3349 S. Wabash while I went to Illinois Tech. Cheering from old Comiskey Park, the clatter from the "L" and living so close to the Projects made for an interesting year. The gorgeous yet rundown homes south of 35th let me know that at one time that was a very upscale neighborhood.

After one year of Chicago's southside I had enough and transferred to Iowa. A bit quieter there.
How did I not know you spent some time on the Southside!

The area is very different today. Well, it varies block to block but some of the old mansions have been brought back as the neighborhood gentrifies.

-Tim