Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
steve fritz

Default Turn signal flasher with "beeper"

I am in the process of wiring my 40 Ford project. I am using the clamp on turn signal switch from LIMEWORKS, works great.I have replaced all the stock wiring with a kit from KWIK-WIRE , very nice and complete kit. Now I'm thinking about the problem I will have remembering to turn off the signal lights after a turn is made. Remember there is no "self-cancelling" operation with the add-on turn signal switches. I donot want to add dash light turn indicator bulbs and ruin the appearance of the stock dash/instrument cluster. So I was thinking about these "beeper" audio flashers. Don't know much about them , are they just a plug-in to replace the flasher in my wiring harness kit??? Any down side to using these? Who sells these?
I can still hear , so I am hoping this will be the answer. I hate seeing people driving these old cars down the hiway with the turn signal still on. I don't want that to be me!!!
Thanks,
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
36Bill

Default Re: Turn signal flasher with "beeper"

I use one and they almost work to well. It is too loud for me so I taped some cotton to the bottom. Yes they are plug and play and I never leave the blinkers on.

Bill
Old 02-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
TJ

Why not make a bracket to bolt under the dash that can hold two green indicator. lights? Or if your '40 does not have a radio you can put the indicator lights behind the radio grille. Correctly placed you can still see them.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
tomkowal

i also used one and they work great
tomkowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
40cpe

Electronic stores or ebay have the Piezo Electronic Tone Buzzer for cheap. Connect one wire to the input side (hot feed) of your flasher and the other to the load side. They are polarity sensitive, so if it doesn't work reverse the leads.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
19Fordy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I bought one of those tiny Radio Shack beepers and soldered it to the flasher prongs. System is 12V. When you put on the turn signal it BEEPS. If you forget to turn the directional to off after making your turn, it keeps beeping.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #7
CarlG

Funny Story:
Years ago, I had a 9-passenger E250 van. I couldn't hear the click on the turn signal, so I bought a flasher that played a tune when it was activated. Worked just fine for me. However, my wife was going to attend a conference about 150 miles away with a group, so she offered up the van to get everyone there together. It just about drove everyone in the van nuts. Every time the driver signaled to change lanes on the freeway, it played this (obnoxious) little tune. I got to change that out very soon after that!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #8
34billct

I use one and it is great, you will not forget to turn it off. I got it from MAC'S
34billct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:04 PM   #9
Capsacto

There is a self-cancelling turn signal system available. Electro-Tech makes it. Turnswitch.com is their website. It has a lot of cool features, including a built in beeper (but I can barely hear it because my hearing is shot!). I installed it in my '37, it works great.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson
Capsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #10
42guy

I have used one and yes they are loud.
42guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:45 AM   #11
Drbrown

My '47 came with un-stock modifications so I wasn't too concerned about solving the problem of forgetting the turn signal was on - I also needed to silence the constant reminders coming from my "co-pilot". I tried a Radio Shack buzzer but was very annoyed by it. Some may not like my next solution but here it is ....

I removed the speedometer/disassembled it. Bought two 1/4 inch OD red-colored rubber-bodied snap-in LED bulbs. Drilled a 1/4 inch hole on each side of the speedo face plate and snapped in the red LED bulbs. Reassembled and reinstalled the speedo; connected LED's to proper directional circuit wires. Found I needed to add a small resister on each LED due to ignition interference. Works great because the LED's are inconspicuous when not flashing, they are a right "in-your'face" presence when flashing, and all silent except for the ticking of the flasher unit under the dash.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
V12Bill

I have bought beepers from Radio Shack for about $4 and wired them into the flasher. Work great and the noise says turn me off!
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #13
Paul Dobbin

When I added turn signals to my 34 Fordor, I had the same concerns.
For the flashing turn signal indicator, I wired it to the glass jewel in the cigar lighter. Since I didn't smoke, it was a better usage of the cigar lighter.
Then I discovered the cigar lighter right in the middle of the dash was blocked by the steering wheel in my line of sight.
Went to Radio Shack and bought a cheap 6V beeper and put it in the flashing cigar lighter wire. Perfect, except it's LOUD and as a result I'm no longer the old guy driving along with his turn signal on. I anxious to turn it off when the turn is completed.
Paul Dobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #14
DD931

Can someone post a schematic of how to connect with a regular 7 wire system?
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #15
Ken/Alabama

I still use my arm!
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #16
Bill S

For my 50 I went to Radio Shack and got one beeper the lowest DB they had and 2 diodes. That way I did not use two beepers as each sounds different and the diodes will reduce the volume some.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD931 View Post
Can someone post a schematic of how to connect with a regular 7 wire system?
I'm not at my computer with all my files right now, but there are several different ones out there. I'm guessing the main difference is the wire color! What you are doing is disconnecting the wire going from the stop light switch to the brake light filament in the taillights. You can cut the wire and connect the switch end to the turn signal. Two of the remaining wires then connect to the right and left brake light filaments. Two other wire connect to whatever you are using as right and left front turn signals. A power wire runs from a power source to a flasher canister and then to the turn signal. The last wire also connects to the flasher canister to operate the unit light.

1. Blake light switch
2. Right rear brake/turn filament
3. Left rear brake/turn filament
4. Right front turn filament
5. Left front turn filament
6. Power from flasher canister
7. A second wire from flasher canister to operate the light on the unit.

Last edited by JSeery; 02-18-2017 at 09:19 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:54 PM   #18
Drbrown

My seven-wire is as JSeery shows except I don't use the blue wire since I don't need the small flasher on the directional unit to light.

A small side-benefit to this wiring system is that both directional indicators will come on when the brake is applied and the brake lights come on (the flasher will over-ride either one). Sometimes the brake light switch on a master cylinder fails and this would indicate if that happens. .... i.e. I also notice in very cold temperatures that when the viscosity of the brake fluid is "stiff" it takes a little extra pedal pressure for the brake lights to come on, until the brakes have been applied a number of times (I use DOT 4 fluid).
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #19
DD931

I'm sorry!! I meant "how do you connect a beeper"!! I have turn signals installed and operating.
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote