Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2020, 06:55 AM   #21
ronn

Default Re: Model A Estate Plans

Brent, let them moan...................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:15 AM   #22
Jim/GA

I agree with Fairview's guidance. Keep a car or two and drive them for as long as you can. It will give you an activity to get out of bed for every day. Start selling off the excess vehicles, the "projects that you are going to get around to some day", and the hoard of parts that you have collected "just in case". If it turns out you need that part in the future, you can always dig one up. You know you can.

There is nothing wrong with leaving a car or two to kids and grandkids. You never know, just because they showed no interest in the cars in the past does not mean they won't pick it up when given a neat car. It will help them retain memories of you.

I talk to new, young Model A owners on a regular basis to help them out. Many came from Dad or Grandfather. They ARE interested in the cars. But don't overwhelm them with tons of used parts, partial projects and (frankly) junk to dispose of. That will turn them off to the car and the hobby.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-21-2020, 08:19 AM   #23
Chris in WNC

The start of the downsizing was when I moved from FL to NC in 2011, sold my 25 year accumulation of heavy iron stuff then.
Common pieces that had no great value went as a lot- asked $400 for a truckload and accepted $300.
Since we moved 4 times between 2016-2019 (YUK!) I was motivated to thin the herd to one car and the best spare parts.
Sold off the excess through FordBarn, eBay and 2 years at the Old '96 Swap Meet.
(eBay has proven to be a GREAT resource for selling parts)
Have been distracted by other things too much in recent years to drive and enjoy our '35 as it deserves so it is for sale now.
If I ever make enough time to enjoy another Model A properly, I'll buy one then.
I have told my wife and children "What looks like rusty old junk here usually has some value or I would not keep it."
Have told them to call some of my old car friends for disposal guidance after I'm gone.

Last edited by Chris in WNC; 07-22-2020 at 07:34 AM.
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:15 AM   #24
Jim Brierley

when my friend the pack-rat passed, myself and another club member were asked to put a price on everything. First question we asked the family was, do you want to try and get top dollar, or to sell now? They wanted to sell quickly, smart idea. With everything sorted, we spray painted a color on every part, reds were all $5, blues $10, etc. High dollar items were priced individually, fenders and the like. The day of the auction we had several club members scattered around to answer questions, keep an eye on things, etc. With all that, at least one good fender somehow escaped with a low price, somebody somehow altered the price on it, moral, be aware!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:15 PM   #25
Jeff/Illinois

And I am in agreement with Jim/Ga and Fairview. Keep a car or two to have fun with, perhaps the best ones ya got.

After you die, the heirs can do what they want with them. If they choose not to keep them and sell, well that's a few bucks in their pockets they didn't have anyway.

I go to all the farm sales and auctions around here that have an antique car listed, mainly just to watch and learn. Plus I just like the old cars.

I've never bought one at these sales. BUT I will relate to you a glaring fact. There IS interest I see it over and over and even from the young guys.

One farm sale I went to a few years ago had a '27 or '28 Chevy Coupe, all original, it hadn't run in years, but was almost all there. It was a neat old car.

The bidding was hot and heavy, car sold for some pretty strong dollars, and a guy in his early 20's bought the car. I figured he was going to rod it. I talked to him after the sale and asked him what his plans were. He said 'My dad and I are going to restore it back to 100% stock.' He was real excited about the car. I see this same enthusiasm over and over again.

At a different sale I watched a '30 Ford Model A Roadster sell for $20,000. It was a genuine turd. I wouldn't have wanted that thing as a gift. It had a very crude 'restoration' done to it, none of the body panels were aligned, the rumble seat lid was so far off there was no way to shut it, it had a paint job that looked like it had been done at the Lincoln Girl's School for the Blind. And they must have used a floor mop. Bondo everywhere. It had a 'top' somebody made at home out of old 'My Pillow' pillow casings. Pure white. Rats had eaten up the crappy seats. It ran. Boy did it run. Oil all over the place. I was shocked by what it sold for, and it took two guys that wanted it to bid up that high.

My point is, so maybe your Model A didn't sell for the $19K you thought it was worth. The extra money you were trying to get for your heirs. Instead, it went for $15K at auction. Big deal. You lost that $4,000 the minute you drove that new car you just bought off the lot and that didn't seem to matter so why does it now?

And your heirs don't care. I assure you that. They just got free money in their pockets they didn't have before.

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 07-21-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote