Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
hoss73ford

Default Storing a rebuilt engine

I am getting ready to have a '66 352 engine gone thru as it is a good candidate. Now I have found a '65 F250 that is in far better shape than my '66 F1 and it doesn't need an engine right now. Still I'm thinking while I have the money to go ahead and have it rebuilt (should only need the basics and not expensive machine work) & put it back for when I need it.

I've heard of stored engines, even rebuilt ones, locking up and being ruined. What is best to do? Maybe spray the plug holes with WD40 or add a little oil sometimes? Before too long, it will be in a desert dry climate (Arizona) so I'm thinking that will be in my favor.

Input?
hoss73ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
ford3

Default Re: Storing a rebuilt engine

you need to make sure every thing in the engine is well oiled, squirt mmo or some other oil in each cylinder, a lot of it. if the intake manifold is off put a lot of oil in each intake port, same with the exhaust manifold, put the intake manifold and exhaust manifold back on, then seal all open holes on the engine, carb, intake and exhaust manifolds , remove the valve covers and oil all the rocker arms valve guides, and oil down the push rods, if the engine is not going to be stored for a real long time leave the oil in the pan, spray the out side of the engine with a lite oil, one that can be removed easily later, find a good moisture eliminator, like that is used in food packages, or any thing that absorbes moisture, then wrap tight in a big plastic bag, keep off floor and out of damp and windy places
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
Ford blue blood

ATF in the cylinders, lube everything with break in oil, seal every opening with tin foil tape (the stuff used on duct work) not duck tape, bag it with kitty litter or oil dry and keep it off the floor. My 351 C was stored for eight years and was a free as can be when installed.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
billwill

Turn over once a monthput down the intake when doing so goodluck
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
bobss396

I have a Chevy 350 that is about to wake up after a 30-year nap. That one, I fogged it with MMO until it stalled out, pulled the plugs and gave each cylinder a few squirts too. Taped up any external port with duct tape, wrapped it in plastic and put it on a pallet on my garage floor. I gave the damper a turn about 5 years ago and it moved freely.

My brother built a nice 327 short block up while in HS. That was oiled up, wrapped in a couple of black plastic garbage bags, set on a couple of pieces of 2 x 4 and stood up on the back end of the block in the corner of the garage. 7 years later, it was unwrapped and found to be as he left it, spotless and that turned over easily.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Store the engine and rebuild it if and when you need it would be my suggestion. If you are able to predict the future please come help me with my stock market investments.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 09-07-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
miker98038

It's in his y block section, Ted Eaton lists sitting without run in as a potential cam failure as the break in lube dries out. Also, from load on the valve springs over time. I would imagine this applies to most motors, even with hydraulic lifters.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
y'sguy

Yes agree^^. Beyond all that has been mentioned you can also spray the whole outside with oil and get a heavy clear plastic engine bag and close it up.
y'sguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:56 PM   #9
greenpondmike

Had an old timer tell me to fill it up with oil--I guess that means to fill it where you add oil and fill the intake manifold also. Knew a fellow that stored a rebuilt one dry, but covered for many years and when he went to turn it to see if it was still loose it was locked up.
I guess filling it up could get messy though.

Ps: I know this is an old thread
greenpondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:05 PM   #10
darrell

charlie has the right answer
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:07 PM   #11
56sedandelivery

rebuilt my 351C with intentions to quickly install it. Well life got in the way and it has been sitting for over 20 years. I dumped about 10 quarts of oil in the pan put a little in each cylinder. Duct taped the exhaust port on the heads that do not have springs on them. Installed the head with gaskets, duck taped the intake on heads and installed the intake manifold. Recently pulled the heads of and looks like the day it was rebuilt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 104_0544.jpg (54.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 104_0543.jpg (47.8 KB, 9 views)
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:45 PM   #12
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Store the engine and rebuild it if and when you need it would be my suggestion. If you are able to predict the future please come help me with my stock market investments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post
charlie has the right answer
Depending on the humidity where the engine is stored and how well things can get oil coated, parts of the engine may rust while its sitting. (not counting mice, roof & water leaks or whatever else)
Staying compressed for several years may cause approx half of the valve springs to lose their original tension, if the rocker arms aren't loosened or removed.
Better to have an engine that's actually 'fresh' than hope it still is and find out otherwise.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-13-2020 at 08:09 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #13
greenpondmike

Well, sometimes people don't have as stabile a job or profession as others and if their motor is on its last legs they may buy a whole motor while they have the money and even though they didn't mean to let it set up too long life happens, so it's best to do something to preserve it just in case because no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

I got an engine for $75 one time--the same kind that was in my truck. I didn't need it at the time although my engine had a dead miss on one cyl. It was a deal I couldn't pass up and I'm glad I didn't. I sat it on the ground and put oil in the cylinders and intake I think and I may have even filled it with cheap oil. I also covered it. A year to a year and a half later I installed it. It was still loose after all that time even though it sat on the ground in the weather although it was covered.
I admit though--a freshly rebuilt engine is best if you can wait and the future works out for you...otherwise, cheap oil is your friend. Cheap oil keeps guns from rusting, so why not engines? Store with confidence.
greenpondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:51 AM   #14
wellcraft17

Rebuilt a y block 292 25-30 yrs ago, did not install the the valve trains, put oil in all the cylinders, crankcase, intake tracts and spun the oil pump with a drill, taped up all the holes in the block. Put it over in the corner of my garage and last week I put a socket on the crank bolt and the engine turned over. So my thoughts are what do I do now as this engine was to be installed in my 56 f 100 which is still running strong from when I built it in 81-82. It has 77,000 miles on it and I’m no longer a young whipper snapper that I use to be. If I was 30 I would eventually install the rebuild in the truck when the one in it wears out.
wellcraft17 is online now   Reply With Quote