Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2021, 06:44 AM   #1
56yblock

Default spark plugs

hello everybody, does anyone knows what the best spark plugs for a 368 ci y block lincoln ?
56yblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:29 AM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: spark plugs

Autolite #46 or equivalent. Stay away from Champion, they have quality control problems.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #3
56yblock

i use 870 champion to my 272 and it's works good, i used autolite 46 made in china and i want no more
56yblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:20 PM   #4
5851a

I just looked on the web and only seem to be a run around searching. Never did find solid answer. I think Motorcraft moved to Mexico long ago, other things say they are made here by Autolite. Supposed to be labeled on box but many labels are confusing also.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:22 PM   #5
Dobie Gillis

I have personal experience with Champion's quality issues. I had a '53 Customline with the original flatty, a fresh rebuild. I used Champion plugs and soon after the maiden run on the rebuild the engine began running rough. To cut to the chase, I pulled the plugs and found one that had dropped it's center electrode. This forced me to remove the head and examine the piston top and cylinder. I never found the electrode and there was no damage to the cylinder. The top of the piston looked pretty good, too, so I buttoned it back up and bought a lottery ticket. The electrode must have exited through the exhaust valve. Turns out Champion GLUES the center electrodes. I swore off Champion plugs then and there and won't even use one in a lawn mower.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:58 PM   #6
5851a

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Had a friend drop an electrode on a Champion plug 40 plus years ago so I've never bought any. He had to replace engine.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #7
KULTULZ

Post Re: spark plugs

Concerning MOTORCRAFT -

Your period car came through with CHAMPIONS as that was the supplier to FORD until FORD bought AUTOLITE in the early sixties. FORD was forced to divest itself of AUTOLITE in 1972 but was allowed to make plugs under the new MOTORCRAFT name for a period (you would see MOTORCRAFT on the box along with AUTOLITE).

I believe the new supplier was the new independent AUTOLITE. FORD also now uses plugs from varied suppliers. NGK being one for special calibrations.

(IMO), FORD MOTORCRAFT is the best plug for an everyday driver.

Your calibration (LINC - 368CI) calls for SP-431-A (OLD NO. BSF-82-CA).

-------------------------------------------

Quote:
In 1961, the Ford Motor Company acquired the Autolite trade name, an Ohio spark plug factory, a Michigan battery facility, limited distribution rights, and the services of several employees.[2] Autolite products became standard original factory equipment in Ford vehicles. A federal antitrust lawsuit was filed against Ford, which dragged on through the remainder of the 1960s, ultimately being decided in 1972 by the Supreme Court against Ford, and Ford was forced to sell its Autolite-related assets to the Bendix Corporation by 1973. In the UK, the Autolite name was replaced by Motorcraft in 1971.[3]

In 1963, the portion of the Autolite company which was not acquired by Ford merged with the Mergenthaler Linotype Company, and the Eltra Corporation was formed. The former Autolite portion became the Prestolite Motor and Ignition Company, later Prestolite Electric.

In 1973, the Bendix Corporation had purchased both FRAM and Autolite. In 1980, the Eltra Corporation was acquired by Allied Signal Corporation which was itself acquired by Honeywell in 1999. Bendix was acquired by Allied in 1983, thereby bringing Autolite back to its original parent, Electric Autolite (Eltra) as part of Allied Signal (Honeywell). In 2011, Honeywell sold its automotive Consumer Products Group to Rank Group, which introduced FRAM Group and several other companies to take over the operations and the transfer of ownership of the acquired trademarks.

SOURCE - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autolite

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 04-16-2021 at 11:21 PM. Reason: ADD INFO
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote