Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2019, 07:50 AM   #21
37 Coupe

Default Re: Will I fit in a Roadster??

A year ago I actually was looking to buy a '30-'31 roadster pickup.The auction I went to almost a year ago had a '31 close cab pickup and I could not believe how tough it was to enter and exit.At the time I was told the roadster pickup was even tighter but they are kinda tough to find to look at let alone to buy so I opted for the roadster.I still think to me the '31 roadster is the prettiest but a Deluxe Phaeton is just beautiful and the doors look much bigger. One thing though I have learned on buying a Model A Roadster do not get into a hurry picking one out,FOBO my wife calls it,Fear Of Better Options. Every week since I bought mine one that is cheaper ,much better and even closer show up.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #22
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
A year ago I actually was looking to buy a '30-'31 roadster pickup.The auction I went to almost a year ago had a '31 close cab pickup and I could not believe how tough it was to enter and exit.At the time I was told the roadster pickup was even tighter but they are kinda tough to find to look at let alone to buy so I opted for the roadster.I still think to me the '31 roadster is the prettiest but a Deluxe Phaeton is just beautiful and the doors look much bigger. One thing though I have learned on buying a Model A Roadster do not get into a hurry picking one out,FOBO my wife calls it,Fear Of Better Options. Every week since I bought mine one that is cheaper ,much better and even closer show up.

My A is a late 30 closed cab pickup, basically the same as a 31. Am 5'11" 225 lbs. At 1st it was a chore to get in and out. Mainly because the distance between the seat riser (bottom seat cushion rests on this) and the door frame is a lot less than the length of your foot. You eventually will find a method of getting in and out where your feet go in and out the narrow way, after a while you do not even think about it. What ever method you find the method must not involve pulling/tugging on the steering wheel.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #23
Railcarmover
BANNED

try the keto diet,its easy and the weight falls off.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #24
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Does it work on reducing shoe size also?
Old 05-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
I'll have to look that up. This winter I took off 20 pounds, instead of adding the usual 5 to 10 pounds of winter weight. It's mind over matter.

Eat slow so you can savor each bite, eat healthy food, not junk food, stop eating before you feel full, because it takes 30 to 60 minutes for the stomach to tell the brain it's had enough, move more to burn calories, and most of all stop eating out. Eating out is too costly, too much food, and not always the healthiest food.

I feel so much better without extra pounds, and it makes getting into my 28 Phaeton much easier. And without extra pounds, the car gets better gas mileage. LOL
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #26
Mike the Grump

Damn it! Looks like there is going to have to be less of me by the time I get the car on the road. Guess it's salad tonight.
Mike the Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:19 PM   #27
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrellh View Post
I am afraid I may have gotten the cart before the proverbial horse, but I am in the process of purchasing a nice '29 roadster to fulfill a lifelong dream. I have spent some time with a '30 tudor with no issues, but now a comment made by the seller has me a little worried.

So, what are your thoughts on a 5' 9" guy weighing in at 230 with a 30" inseam fitting in a stock roadster? Obviously have a bit of a beer gut, and dieting for a number of reasons
I'll take pictures of mine '28 roadster. We did a lot of figuring out to move the seat down and back. I'm 5"10", 240 & 30" inseam and used a '32 box and wheel and can slide in quite easily. In the stock position, it was tight.

Now, it works out great. If you are doing a hotrod, I can let you know about other tricks to make it more roomy.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:58 PM   #28
BHRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I'll take pictures of mine '28 roadster. We did a lot of figuring out to move the seat down and back. I'm 5"10", 240 & 30" inseam and used a '32 box and wheel and can slide in quite easily. In the stock position, it was tight.

Now, it works out great. If you are doing a hotrod, I can let you know about other tricks to make it more roomy.
I'm going to build either a 28/29 roadster or rpu hot rod so any tricks are appreciated.
BHRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #29
BillEbob

I have a friend who bought one this past Fall and has already turned around and is selling it again. He just didn’t fit! He too was fulfilling a lifelong dream.

If you don’t fit — it’s just miserable.
BillEbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #30
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
and most of all stop eating out. Eating out is too costly, too much food, and not always the healthiest food.
LOL

Some friends and I had this very conversation just this week. Dave (owns a '28 Coupe) has dropped 15 pounds in the last month by doing what Tom is saying especially canning the eating out part it does make a difference.

I shed about 8 pounds by just quitting drinking pop.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #31
mreman

A side mounted spare tire on the drivers side will make it more difficult to get in and out for most who are taller than you. But the method of entering is important, and I suggest you watch someone your size who has a similar car. My coupe is much harder to enter than my tudor. I am 6 foot. Just over 210 lb.
mreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:12 AM   #32
Jeff P. / MN

When I was 230+ pounds (6’1”) NO WAY could I get in a ‘28-9 roadster. I bought a Cabriolet which was a win/win. But at that time in life I decided to lose the weight to make my life easier. Now at 180 pounds I can get in and out of any car much easier.
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #33
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P. / MN View Post
When I was 230+ pounds (6’1”) NO WAY could I get in a ‘28-9 roadster. I bought a Cabriolet which was a win/win. But at that time in life I decided to lose the weight to make my life easier. Now at 180 pounds I can get in and out of any car much easier.
Whoa.........That's a great loss.
One thing I forgot to mention in my list is to try to avoid foods with corn syrup.
Corn is bad for our cars, and corn syrup is bad for our bodies.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:44 AM   #34
rfitzpatrick

Seems like I read somewhere: The Model A Pickup was the most "Re-Sold" of the Model A Era, for all the reasons given here
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:22 PM   #35
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
...and most of all stop eating out. Eating out is too costly, too much food, and not always the healthiest food.
Ain't that the truth. Ya'll ever checked out how much SODIUM is in restaurant food? We add very little salt when we are cooking.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #36
PRG999

I have a 30 closed cab pickup. Just a few tweaks and you have lots of room.
The seat i used zip ties on the springs and lowered it about 1 1/2”.
The back rest i took out and used 1/4” plywood and 2 inch foam and recovered with black
Vinyl. Lots of headroom and leg room now.

Paul
PRG999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:59 PM   #37
Mike/Nebraska

I have a 29 roadster and I know the problem as I was 6' and 260#, My seat was rough so I had a short seat pour of a minivan upholstered like an A seat and was able to move it back a couple of inches using the original seat pan slightly modified. Now I weigh around 230# and it's tight getting in and out but plenty of room when driving.
Mike/Nebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:30 PM   #38
bkensinger

I am 6'0 at 210 and I fit in my 31 DLX Roadster which I have owned now for 30 years. You ca figure out how to slip in . Go for it!
Old 06-06-2019, 07:24 AM   #39
ronn

just bought a 30 roadster and it is damn tight.

I am 6' and 230.

trouble getting the size 13's in!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #40
OldCrowSpeedster

I have a '30 Boattail Speedster that I just picked up. I had the same thought after I made the deal. Sounds like I'm close to your size 5'10" 230 with a 30" inseam. My car has no doors, you have to step up and over to get in... which should be and Olympic event, but once I'm in I have no fitment issues. There's plenty of room... although a little snug with a passenger.

[email protected]
OldCrowSpeedster is offline   Reply With Quote