Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #41
nkaminar

Default Re: Birthday present

For my Model T I installed a dash cam (camera) mounted to the windshield that I used to record touring events and even a tour of my neighborhood. I kept it and will install it on my Model A. It has an option to remain on while parked. The video can be downloaded to any computer and sent via an email to an insurance company or the police or put on a memory stick. I may add another dash cam for the rear of the car. They need 12 volts which could be provided by a small motorcycle battery.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:31 AM   #42
77Birdman

[QUOTE=Dean Lemoine;1987810]A few thoughts and comments:

Why did I drive my Model A to a big box store in the middle of winter?
It was a beautiful North Georgia day. There’s nothing that keeps me from doing that, insurance or otherwise.
Did I check security cameras? For a variety of reasons I chose not to. I only hope and pray this person’s conscious catches up with them.
I too was raised to respect other people and their property. Sadly this seems to be going away in today’s world.
Did it bother me that this happened? Absolutely, but life’s too short and precious to let it drag on. I’ll fix it myself and move on. I built it to drive and enjoy and we’re certainly doing that.
Why did I title this post “Happy Birthday”?
It’s this week. Weather permitting, we’ll take the car our for a drive ...... maybe a picnic.[/QUOTE

NO judgement at all on driving your A to a box store, heck I would drive it as often as possible weather permitting. Yes, I am glad your ins. will cover, I ocassionally take my car to the grocery store when its nice and hope that something like this doesnt happen. Good luck with the repairs, hope they are taken care of swiftly.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:36 AM   #43
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I had that happen to me (not in my Model A though). Even though there was a witness that had a complete description including license #, they still got off scot free. They caved in the door panel, I got to eat it!
I was sideswiped on a small country road whilst driving my F150. Her mirror took my mirror off (which was lucky as it was a matter of seconds from being a head on). She kept rolling along, road so tight I had a hard time doing a u turn. I called the police and proceeded to chase her down. About 5 miles I finally caught up and pulled her over. Her mirror was shattered as well as mine. She acted like she had no idea she hit me. I got her info, which I later found was fraudulent. Cop took our statements, said 'no one was hurt' so it was between the two of us. I was on the hook, and never heard from her again! Yes she was on a cell phone when she hit me, taking her 6 yo to school!!
Old 02-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #44
77Birdman

Synchro, in MD, there is an uninsured motorist fund just for that case. Also, if a person cannot get insurance from a private carrier the state will provide it, but it is quite expensive. Usually people with too many accidents, dui's etc.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:15 AM   #45
TerryO

Quote:
Wouldn't that mean that no insurance company would touch them. If there is a problem, how are injuries to others paid for?
That is all included in the registration fee here and an unregistered car on the road is rare. Even if the other driver shouldn't be on the road, anyone injured on the road is covered, pedestrians, cyclists, the lot.
Seems to me from afar, that if there are so many like that, the police are failing to do their job but as I said, I realise our two systems are different.

It can be summed up in one word..."politics"
TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #46
JD 1931

Same thing happened to my daughters new mazda, hit in parling lot and left no note or anything, cost me $700.00 to have it fixed, did not turn to insurance because of $500.00 deductible...Low lifes everywhere, happened in Tallahassee...
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:26 PM   #47
700rpm

I was driving a Model A and towing a trailer made from a Model A PU bed along a narrow two-lane in rural Washington when two vehicles tried to pass me at the same time, a passenger car and a large RV. So we were three abreast neck and neck on a two lane. The car was on the far left and made it past by riding the shoulder, but the RV clipped the rear left corner of my trailer. We pulled over to inspect the damage. The trailer had some paint scraped off the bed corner, and a small scuff on the fender. The RV, however, had about a 6’ tear running down the side through its aluminum sheathing. Model A’s are built Ford Tough. The trailer wasn’t restored or any kind of show piece, so I wasn’t upset except at the RV driver’s poor judgment. He came out the worst for it, and agreed it was all his fault. We exchanged info, and parted ways. I didn’t file a claim, but I would like to have heard his story to his insurance company.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote