Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
AD1948Ford

Default 1948 Ford Tudor Sedan Door Glass Install

I am trying to refresh my memory on how the window channels, window regulator, door glass and everything else to needed to install the door glass goes into place. Given I started this project 11 years ago with my Grandpa and have a 2 year old now that takes up on my memory/time/energy, I need some help.

Does anyone have pictures of the inner door workings to show me where things go or can help explain to me the placement. Once i get these in, i am ready to finish the restoration up and send it to the upholster.

Any help is appreciated.

Aaron
AD1948Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:01 PM   #2
fordor41

Default Re: 1948 Ford Tudor Sedan Door Glass Install

check out catalogs like dennis carpenter, macs & drakes for channels. should be pics as to what parts are available and where they go. reg probably will go in only one way(check the screw holes and crank locations). left won't fit in right door. glass last
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:35 PM   #3
klawockvet

Here is a picture of a 40 prior to taking it apart. It only goes in one way. If you have the correct regulator and put the crank post in the big hole the screws will line up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1119.jpg (63.4 KB, 40 views)
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #4
RalphM

Just did a 47 and I remember having to take the center brace screws out to get the reg out.

Sorry no pics.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:50 PM   #5
Graeme / New Zealand

I've got an exploded view of a 41 door which is much the same except the vent/door window divider goes up and down with the door glass. Unfortunately I am unable to scan it or take a photo of it as I don't use a cell phone.

I can explain what I did with mine : lets asume you start with a gutted door that has already had the window runner "fuzzies" or "whiskers" all installed.

1 Install the regulator using the screws with the star washers.

2 Install the channel the glass sits in on the regulator having precut to size some setting tape to size.

3 Place the setting tape in position on the channel

3 slip the door glass in from the top and wedge the glass in the the up position.

4 Wind the regulator up so the channel and setting tape locks into the glass in the up position

4 Install the divider bar for the vent window.

5 check everything winds up and down freely.

6 last of all install the vent window and window garnish as one unit, but you're better to do that after you have your door trim is done and installed.

I found it useful to have a couple of those rubber door stop wedges handy to jam the glass in the up position ( so it doesn't drop down and smash) before winding the regulator up to meet the glass. If you have another pair of hands it will be easier.

As far as the hardware goes that connects the channel to the regulator I used large washers (big hole) and those cotter type clips where the straight part goes through the hole on the retaining dowel and the top of the clip is semi circular that snaps over the op of it...I don't know what the proper name is. I also use the washers in tandem with some felt ones I made.

Hope this gives you some idea of the order to do things.....anyway that's the way I did it. You can pm me if I can help further.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"

Last edited by Graeme / New Zealand; 01-10-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #6
fjz

In the process of putting new glass in original channels in my 48 coupe. Should the regulator brackets be in or out? And what is the prong for at one end of the channel? I and not sure I have a right and left or two of the same. How do you tell?
fjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
Hal Beatty

This goes to '46, I think the '48's are similar...
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...-40-46_pg1.htm
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #8
fjz

Thanks Hal. Fig 19 on page 6 indicates the channel brackets are on the inside. Still wondering what the prongs on one end of the channels are for. These instructions will help me with this stage of my project.
fjz is offline   Reply With Quote